List Mgmt. Trade & Draft Discussion 2023 post season - Picks Reid,30,40,49,66 (Bush league)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Eagles fans!

The embedded resources below are kept up to date by the trade board mods (as much as possible – we are human after all). Enjoy!

Keys you may like to sticky this post & move it to the start of the thread (so the sticky post doesn't rotate if a post is deleted before it), or copy it to your draft thread if you have one.

just read please rachel brosnahan GIF by The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel

So according to WCE_phil recruiters don’t take into account picks being pushed back because of FS and NGA picks.

I appreciate everything Phil offers this board and I don’t want to shoot the messenger but I gotta say I find this ****en ridiculous on so many levels.

To give an extreme example if we have pick 1 and the next 5 players are NGA / FS you are telling me teams still consider pick 2 is still worth the same as if there were no NGA / FS.

I think any recruiter not factoring how compromised the draft is, simply aren’t doing their job properly.

So according to WCE_phil recruiters don’t take into account picks being pushed back because of FS and NGA picks.

I appreciate everything Phil offers this board and I don’t want to shoot the messenger but I gotta say I find this *en ridiculous on so many levels.

To give an extreme example if we have pick 1 and the next 5 players are NGA / FS you are telling me teams still consider pick 2 is still worth the same as if there were no NGA / FS.

I think any recruiter not factoring how compromised the draft is, simply aren’t doing their job properly.

I think what he’s getting at is they ignore players they can’t get when assessing the value of picks

So in your example they’ll base their decisions on who they can get with the 2nd pick in the open pool. They won’t say this is really pick 7 just that when they get to pick that player will be available

I expect all they’re interested in is which players they are able to draft at any given pick- a F/S or academy player isn’t available so they don’t rank them

I think what he’s getting at is they ignore players they can’t get when assessing the value of picks

So in your example they’ll base their decisions on who they can get with the 2nd pick in the open pool. They won’t say this is really pick 7 just that when they get to pick that player will be available

I expect all they’re interested in is which players they are able to draft at any given pick- a F/S or academy player isn’t available so they don’t rank them
Surely all players a club rates as draftable would be ranked, especially for academy players of a certain range? There are plenty of examples of academy players getting earlier than expected bids which aren’t matched?

In two years time we will still need quality depth in the midfield.

So will we have the list all sorted in two draft and trade periods?

No. We won't.
You are obviously a bit stung and emotiinal by Devs rejection. That ship has sailed, move on man.

By way of comparison, Melbourne received a R3 pick (band 5) for Jayden Hunt last year

Hunt (27 at the time) was a year older than Flynn (26) is now which might have been the difference
Maybe it’s as simple as Flynn had no interest in moving West until he saw the contract.
It’s a need for our list and we missed last year, maybe the club had to reach slightly to get what they wanted……

(Log in to remove this ad.)

FFS stop stalking our draft thread.

I swear the three guys we’ve been talking about for more than a week have been mentioned here in the last two days.

FFS you just got to love that coming from briztoon. :)

download-8.jpg

I appreciate everything Phil offers this board and I don’t want to shoot the messenger but I gotta say I find this *en ridiculous on so many levels.

1. That’s not what he said at all, re the bolded.

2. Our recruiters and list manager have basically said the same in club podcasts and interviews.

Father Son and Academy kids aren’t available to every club. They are basically outside the talent pool and only available to their parent club.

So clubs put together a draft board without any of the club tied kids, because that’s the list is every club is picking from.

So if you have pick 3, and Duursma is rated as your 3rd kid, behind Reid and McKercher, it doesn’t matter the team with pick 2 bids on Walter, which pushes you down to pick 4, because they then draft McKercher at pick 3, and you now draft Duursma at pick 4.

Now clubs will write in, in a different colour, where they might rate the club tied kids, or where they think they might be bid on, but those kids don’t affect the draft order.

What does affect the draft order, are teams trading up for Gold Coasts pick 4, because instead of Gold Coast being made to match a bid with pick 4, thus the pick being used to match their academy player, another team now has pick 4, and will use it to pick who ever they want.

This impacts all the clubs behind them, especially early on, where supposed tiers of talent seperate.

A pick shifting down for players we can't access in itself doesn't matter.

Unless it is involved in a trade - then it is very important. In our case... pick 1 (which becomes pick 1 after compo, F/S, NGA) v for example Pick 10 (which is really 15) gives a better assessment of the fairness of said trade.

The people after pick 1 will be talking up how good their pick is even though they know its value is far less, esp the first round picks.

Surely all players a club rates as draftable would be ranked, especially for academy players of a certain range? There are plenty of examples of academy players getting earlier than expected bids which aren’t matched?
Not that many, and most from my club.

Mostly because they were later draft quality kids, and we (the Lions) have a very clear policy of matching high end academy kids, and then with later picks drafting for need.

We’ve passed on academy kids multiple times to draft for need later in the draft.

We have been caught out with clubs bidding early on academy kids we wanted to match (most notably the Coleman brothers), but we matched both boys, even though the bids threw the rest of our draft plans out the window.

A pick shifting down for players we can't access in itself doesn't matter.

Unless it is involved in a trade - then it is very important. In our case... pick 1 (which becomes pick 1 after compo, F/S, NGA) v for example Pick 10 (which is really 15) gives a better assessment of the fairness of said trade.

The people after pick 1 will be talking up how good their pick is even though they know its value is far less, esp the first round picks.
Pick 10 or pick 15, in this discussion it’s exactly the same kid available at each selection, if the 5 kids pushing it back are all Father Son or Academy kids.

If the pick is being pushed back by 1 compensation pick, then you absolutely factor that in.

But West Coast should only be trading pick 1 after the player trade period has ended, because the draft order won’t be compromised any further after the player trade period has ended.

It’s important to note, if you don’t know the rules, that picks can continue to be traded up until 1 week before the draft. Then on draft night, once pick 1 is on the clock, clubs can live trade picks during the draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back