List Mgmt. Trade & F/A - 2017/2018 - Refreshed (cont in part 2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
What you are describing with Smith, appeared to be team instructions last year.
You think? Sounds like a convenient excuse for Smith to me. If those genuinely were team instructions then why did guys like Crisp and Maynard always look to break lines and find attacking options first?

What you are describing with Smith, appeared to be team instructions last year.
Yes but at times in games when we decided to run and gun down the guts and we looked pretty damn good doing it, I can't recall Smith doing much of that. Definitely agree it was team rules, and you can see why Smith was a Buckley favourite as he got the most out of himself on the training track and getting games when a lot here would say purely talent wise he would struggle

You think? Sounds like a convenient excuse for Smith to me. If those genuinely were team instructions then why did guys like Crisp and Maynard always look to break lines and find attacking options first?
I agree with sr36 to a point, there were times in games our ball movement and the chip chip chip malaise sucked the excitement from the crowd. Like first half of that Hawthorn game

Moving Crisp back was a revelation. Hopefully Murray is in from the start next year and we see more of it

True. But the others without line breaking ability tended to go sideways.

I agree with sr36 to a point, there were times in games our ball movement and the chip chip chip malaise sucked the excitement from the crowd. Like first half of that Hawthorn game

Moving Crisp back was a revelation. Hopefully Murray is in from the start next year and we see more of it

Yeah all liked the move of Crispy and Murray could be the one we need
We're really lacked drive from defence for a few years
Good play reinventing midfielders

Crisp to half back was a no-brainer. I’m surprised it took so long to at least try it out.

Funnily he always seemed a bit basic and didn’t hurt the opposition enough in midfield, but I feel at half-back, every touch of his contributes to good. He looked terrific in the last handful of games, specifically R23 vs Melbourne

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Funnily he always seemed a bit basic and didn’t hurt the opposition enough in midfield, but I feel at half-back, every touch of his contributes to good. He looked terrific in the last handful of games, specifically R23 vs Melbourne

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I guess they'd need to ensure that whoever was taking his midfield time was going to be up to it. The emergence of DeGoey this year, the potential for Maynard longer term, potentially even Wills, all bringing size and grunt to the midfield group allows more flexibility in how we use Crisp.

I agree. You know we where playing Bad when all we did was Chip the Ball around with little or no Forward Movement BUT when we took the Game on we Looked Dangerous

BURNING QUESTIONS AT YOUR CLUB HEADING INTO 2018

COLLINGWOOD

Can the spine perform and who plays where? Some have suggested Darcy Moore should play at centre half back while Ben Reid is 11 years into his career and still doesn’t have a permanent home. Mason Cox has to make it as a forward because he’s not getting a game ahead of Brodie Grundy. Cox has promise and now has the experience to deliver more.

Or do the Pies look to emulate the Tigers and run a small, pressure-orientated forward package containing Jamie Elliott, Alex Fasolo, Travis Varcoe, Will Hoskin-Elliott and others.

On face value certainly appears better equipped to give it a try than attempt to fashion a more traditional set-up.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2017/11/14/burning-questions-at-your-club-heading-into-2018/

BURNING QUESTIONS AT YOUR CLUB HEADING INTO 2018

COLLINGWOOD

Can the spine perform and who plays where? Some have suggested Darcy Moore should play at centre half back while Ben Reid is 11 years into his career and still doesn’t have a permanent home. Mason Cox has to make it as a forward because he’s not getting a game ahead of Brodie Grundy. Cox has promise and now has the experience to deliver more.

Or do the Pies look to emulate the Tigers and run a small, pressure-orientated forward package containing Jamie Elliott, Alex Fasolo, Travis Varcoe, Will Hoskin-Elliott and others.

On face value certainly appears better equipped to give it a try than attempt to fashion a more traditional set-up.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2017/11/14/burning-questions-at-your-club-heading-into-2018/

Think more Chance of us Going Small then Playing Cox as our Permant Full Forward.

Also could depend how McLarty come on Next Season

Think more Chance of us Going Small then Playing Cox as our Permant Full Forward.

Also could depend how McLarty come on Next Season

Our spine seems no more of an issue now than it did going into 2017. White, Keeffe, Schade and McCarthy have all gone but they had little impact this year. McLarty gets a full preseason going into 2018. Reid and Goldsack are a year older but get an uninterrupted preseason. Depth and development are the concerns so wait and see who we draft and maybe rookie list.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I suspect they want to keep all our QLD boys around to play their part in a mooted big trade from up north next year...personally, I'll be amazed if it happens..

Yes, I was worried how we could get the big trade done, but Smithy and Oxley are bound to get it done. GC must be champing at the bit to get their hands on this elite QLD talent... :rolleyes:

Yes, I was worried how we could get the big trade done, but Smithy and Oxley are bound to get it done. GC must be champing at the bit to get their hands on this elite QLD talent... :rolleyes:

Much the same as pick 70 in the Murray trade it seems.

Smith's first instinct when he gets the ball to either kick backwards or switch diagonally backwards versus Ramsay running the lines a bit more, Smith very lucky if you ask me

Smith woefully under-rated on here. Long kick, good kick, not overly safe.

Now James Aish and Scharenberg, they are the very definition of safe. Don't see it with Smith.

Now James Aish and Scharenberg, they are the very definition of safe. Don't see it with Smith.

I think his ball use is fine and the cross the ground angst is a little overblown. I just don't rate his defensive game or accountability. If he's playing in defence he either needs to be good in those aspects, or offer the offensive benefit of a Johannisen type. He does neither.

Agree, I rate Smith and rated his year as decent, I reckon he is pretty reliable and does basic things very well, I honestly don't get the hate for him when you have Blair, Broomhead and Aish running around, Blair has heart but no ability, Broomhead has no heart but plenty of ability and Aish has neither of the above.

Rather have Safe Kicks then a Turn Over Merchant

Agree, I rate Smith and rated his year as decent, I reckon he is pretty reliable and does basic things very well, I honestly don't get the hate for him when you have Blair, Broomhead and Aish running around, Blair has heart but no ability, Broomhead has no heart but plenty of ability and Aish has neither of the above.

Then why did Aish stay on the List IF HE IS THE WORST PLAYER IN THE AFL?

Seriously? I must have missed that. Smith averaged just 14 meters per possession in 2017. Those long kicks of his must be countered by quite a few backwards options...

Smith is the chip kick king, terrible under pressure (I still cringe at the thought of QB), our worst 1 v1 defender and whilst there’s a chance the short sideways crab movements are under instruction (terrible coaching if so) he’s the key ingredient in vanilla essence!

Like Langdon his lack of development on his deficiencies is pretty clear. That he was unsigned until at least the end of the trade period yet one of the coaches favourites says it all, IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back