List Mgmt. Trade & F/A - 2017/2018 - Refreshed (cont in part 2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seriously? I must have missed that. Smith averaged just 14 meters per possession in 2017. Those long kicks of his must be countered by quite a few backwards options...

Smith is the chip kick king, terrible under pressure (I still cringe at the thought of QB), our worst 1 v1 defender and whilst there’s a chance the short sideways crab movements are under instruction (terrible coaching if so) he’s the key ingredient in vanilla essence!

Like Langdon his lack of development on his deficiencies is pretty clear. That he was unsigned until at least the end of the trade period yet one of the coaches favourites says it all, IMO.

Yes, you can kick long in several different directions and he often does during the switch which requires a player to kick across the ground toward an outlet on the fat side.

I'm not really a subscriber to the Sam Newman just kick it long and straight whatever the circumstances and have it sail back over your head for a goal. Or OCD obsessions with metres gained but each to their own.

Yes, you can kick long in several different directions and he often does during the switch which requires a player to kick across the ground toward an outlet on the fat side.

I'm not really a subscriber to the Sam Newman just kick it long and straight whatever the circumstances and have it sail back over your head for a goal. Or OCD obsessions with metres gained but each to their own.

That’s fair enough, but I find it strange that you would choose to pot Aish and Scharenberg yet not include Smith in the same bracket. I’m off Aish as much as Smith and if Scharenberg doesn’t advance in this area of his game in 2018 I’ll be very critical of him too.

The most dangerous kick in football is the 30-40 metre diagonal option into the corridor which I’ve never seen Smith use.

Metres gained creates momentum. Momentum has won many a premiership over the years because it’s hard to stop an irresistible force so taking sideways options almost exclusively is a momentum killer when you have more than a couple that do it in the same line up. Given we have Smith, Langdon and Scharenberg prone to it as options in the back third I’ll take the better defenders personally which leaves Smith on the outer.

Agree, I rate Smith and rated his year as decent, I reckon he is pretty reliable and does basic things very well, I honestly don't get the hate for him when you have Blair, Broomhead and Aish running around, Blair has heart but no ability, Broomhead has no heart but plenty of ability and Aish has neither of the above.
I agree. The other thing is the Buckley really likes him. I’m assuming it’s because he plays as he is told to play. If we move to a longer kicking game, I’m sure you will see Smith do just that. He is a player who the coach can rely on to execute what he wants. IMO

Seriously? I must have missed that. Smith averaged just 14 meters per possession in 2017. Those long kicks of his must be countered by quite a few backwards options...

Smith is the chip kick king, terrible under pressure (I still cringe at the thought of QB), our worst 1 v1 defender and whilst there’s a chance the short sideways crab movements are under instruction (terrible coaching if so) he’s the key ingredient in vanilla essence!

Like Langdon his lack of development on his deficiencies is pretty clear. That he was unsigned until at least the end of the trade period yet one of the coaches favourites says it all, IMO.

Has he been resigned?

Out of sheer boredom I've picked based on the letter B

06: Bonar
38: Bailey
56: Butts
61: Brown

That’s fair enough, but I find it strange that you would choose to pot Aish and Scharenberg yet not include Smith in the same bracket. I’m off Aish as much as Smith and if Scharenberg doesn’t advance in this area of his game in 2018 I’ll be very critical of him too.

The most dangerous kick in football is the 30-40 metre diagonal option into the corridor which I’ve never seen Smith use.

Metres gained creates momentum. Momentum has won many a premiership over the years because it’s hard to stop an irresistible force so taking sideways options almost exclusively is a momentum killer when you have more than a couple that do it in the same line up. Given we have Smith, Langdon and Scharenberg prone to it as options in the back third I’ll take the better defenders personally which leaves Smith on the outer.

That angle kick is one of the things that makes Coffield so attractive. I can see him really opening up the field off half back.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Contracts expired on October 31 and he wasn’t delisted as part of the list lodgement so on that basis I think it’s safe to say that he re-signed.

Pity we can't see the first list lodgement
Has there been any announcement
I haven't heard

Cheers mate
Thanks for the info
Happy to have some official clarity
Thought he was gonski
Apologies to Apex36
Fixed that for you, and no problems :p

I wonder what triggers he met, getting dropped 3 times in a year ?
Probably something like games played minimum of 10? Or maybe they got creative to foster competition and used more possessions than his biggest competitor (Mayne).

My take on crabbiness. Shaz in the team upped our crabbiness massively. He gets into crabby positions to receive and then looks for a safe crabby outlet. Aish is playing with no confidence at all and just wants to get rid of the footy as soon as he gets it - into a safe crabby spot. Smith runs to receive in good spots to attack, but becomes a bit deer in the headlights when he has the ball and thus often looks for a crabby option. I don't consider Langdon to be crabby, but prone to being sloppy with the ball early in the game .

My take on crabbiness. Shaz in the team upped our crabbiness massively. He gets into crabby positions to receive and then looks for a safe crabby outlet. Aish is playing with no confidence at all and just wants to get rid of the footy as soon as he gets it - into a safe crabby spot. Smith runs to receive in good spots to attack, but becomes a bit deer in the headlights when he has the ball and thus often looks for a crabby option. I don't consider Langdon to be crabby, but prone to being sloppy with the ball early in the game .
53f242d161d4d84971cdc031492ad10f.jpg

No way, a guy in his first ten games is choosing safe options sideways rather than taking the game on? Shut the front door! I don’t know about others, but I think we might need to wait at least another 10-15 matches before we sit in judgement on him (as I’ve attempted to explain to a few times to no avail).

Rest assured though once we have a larger sample than the 10 matches of 2017 and 4 in 2015 I’ll be judging him along similar lines to the others if the current status quo remains.

The other assessments seem reasonably fair and accurate though* :thumbsu:

*even if slightly lacking on Langdon who is considered a guaranteed best 22 player, unlike the others, with 50+ matches under his belt.

No way, a guy in his first ten games is choosing safe options sideways rather than taking the game on? Shut the front door! I don’t know about others, but I think we might need to wait at least another 10-15 matches before we sit in judgement on him (as I’ve attempted to explain to a few times to no avail).

Rest assured though once we have a larger sample than the 10 matches of 2017 and 4 in 2015 I’ll be judging him along similar lines to the others if the current status quo remains.

The other assessments seem reasonably fair and accurate though* :thumbsu:

*even if slightly lacking on Langdon who is considered a guaranteed best 22 player, unlike the others, with 50+ matches under his belt.

Yep, he does need more than 10 games before he can be judged - but that goes for positive acclaim as well as criticism. I'd suggest that premature acclaim far outweighs premature criticism of Shaz on this board. I'm certainly not writing him off, He's got some pretty obvious attributes, but I'm pointing out what I view as significant shortcomings in his game.

I'm not particularly concerned about Shaz's lack of intent with the ball and his choice of the crab - I think that it was so team wide that it was under coaching instruction. However, I am concerned about his overall style of game and lack of intent when he doesn't have the ball. He's yet to show intent in the contest. Despite having a reputation on this board as an intercept marker, he's yet to show the intent to fly for a mark or even a spoil. He's yet to show the intent to receive in an attacking position. Basically, from what I've seen, he's yet to show any intent other than the intent to receive in cheap spots, thus padding stats with cheap nothing possessions. To me, at the moment, he's a cleaner, more composed, but cheaper version of Smith. He's extremely clean. He reads the game beautifully. He should develop into a pretty good size, but I'd like to see a complete change in his mindset and style of play.

Smith is a kreas.. stock standard boring. And a half back flanker should be a live wire.. a risk taker.. with good endurance as well as speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back