List Mgmt. Trade & F/A - 2018/2019 - Part 2!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm agnostic. Looks a good young competitor with some limitations and a fair way to go, like heaps of blokes who go on to have good careers and heaps of blokes who don't make it.

I should clarify that a comparison to Ramma isn’t a slight. I was a believer of him and wasn’t wrapt when he was cut, but I could at least understand why. He was always one that could go one way or another much like Appleby. Brown and Daicos are others in that mould whereas Sier has broken free of it.

Yes. Word for word. That's a direct quote.

Of course not.
Just seems like an odd thing for the recruiters to be talking about right now.
Maybe it was just one or two in the Leadership Group who were told and only then by way of a passing comment

Journalists need to dramatise everything, otherwise the story will sound mundane and boring

Maybe it was just one or two in the Leadership Group who were told and only then by way of a passing comment

Journalists need to dramatise everything, otherwise the story will sound mundane and boring

Even that scenario doesn't make sense to me.

But whatever, it's written word now by the media, and thus fact.

The players being told May is joining makes no sense to me...

"hey team, let's take a pause from training for this prelim final against the top team, so we can sit around and talk about recruiting for next year".

Totally agree.
He guys "Great news, we're getting in a new guy so that we don't have to give senior games to that bloke who you love playing with who got such a cheer when he pranced around showing that he is able to run again after a knee op. Oh and the other great part is that we also won't have to give senior games to that other bloke who's inspiring us by being so effective after coming back from his own knee injury."

When you factor in May’s trade cost it’s also a no from me. The only counter to this is if losing Langdon allows us to offset May’s trade cost or adds another piece to the puzzle up the field.

FWIW I’m still struggling to get my head around the Appleby love in. He has Ramma written all over him if you ask me and will fall behind IQ quickly, IMO.
Ramma looked really good before his knee though. Was never the same afterwards, couldn’t seem to keep up with the game.

I do worry that he’ll be quickly passed in the pecking order by the likes of Quaynor though, as that smaller lockdown type, given IQ supposedly has very clean hands and very good disposal/rebound capabilities.

I do worry that he’ll be quickly passed in the pecking order by the likes of Quaynor though, as that smaller lockdown type, given IQ supposedly has very clean hands and very good disposal/rebound capabilities.

I don't know if that is something to worry about. Sounds like good news to me.

The Hun today. I'd be happy with May, Quaynor, Kelly and some cheap depth like Bugg. Sign up Moore and Langdon. I'm not fussed on Elliott, think his body is cooked.

STEVEN MAY

The Collingwood players have been told May is coming.

The Suns have made clear they would hang onto the defender for a year despite the interest, even if he departed as a free agent in 2019 for a top-five compensation pick.

But these deals have a history of getting done, particularly when the Pies’ list manager — Ned Guy — is your old player manager and you remain friends.

Now seems almost certain to be in black and white next year, but what does that mean for the Pies’ bidding for next generation academy member Isaac Quaynor?
Rather draft attu than bring in bugg, develope our own

From the Hun. We've actually done some fantastic trading and drafting. Made the best of losing Beams and Shaw. If we have a better injury run and add one more key position player I reckon we can win a few grand finals.

To access articles just copy and paste the article url (https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/...n/news-story/294d2fab625c97175cb5f0947a2ee64f) into this site https://outline.com/

Collingwood’s recruiting, draft calls paying dividends in preliminary final run
September 17, 2018
NATHAN Buckley wasn’t the only man under the blowtorch at Collingwood last season.

When the Magpies’ campaign hit the skids, sparking a searing club review, the claws came out for the Collingwood recruiting department.

And for a period, it was unclear whether list chief Derek Hine would remain at the club.

CONFIDENT: MAGPIES DON’T FEAR TIGERS: WHE

There was tonnes of criticism about the call to let-go some premiership heroes, some of the bold trade moves which were yet to pay off, and left-field draft choices.

Who the heck was Brayden Sier anyway, we all thought mid last year.

And when their main move in last year’s trade period was to hand over a future second-round draft pick for Sam Murray, an unknown back pocket off Sydney’s rookie list, radio talk back went into meltdown.

Collingwood list manager Derek Hine. Picture: Mark Stewart
Hine, the man who handpicked the 2010 premiership list, was under the pump in the nightly news bulletins.

But, 12 months on, as the Magpies prepare to take down Richmond on Friday night for a shot at the Grand Final, the tide of public opinion has turned significantly in favour of many of those contentious recruiting calls.

We’ve known Collingwood’s top shelf including Scott Pendlebury and Steele Sidebottom is as good as anyone, but the beauty about the Pies’ year has surely been the growth form the mid-tier and lesser types.

The C-Graders, who have become A-Graders.

And many of them were still Hine finds. In this 2018 Collingwood resurgence, the former fireman is the forgotten man.

Greater Western Sydney discard Will Hoskin-Elliott is the club’s equal leading goal kicker, Tom Phillips (pick No.58), Tom Langdon (No.65) and Josh Thomas (No.75) were value pickups late in the draft, Brayden Maynard (pick No.30) looks a steal, and Sier (No.32) has suddenly become a crucial onball cog.

Tom Phillips in action for Collingwood. Picture: Michael Klein
Brayden Maynard in action for Collingwood.
Sier was a bloke who came from nowhere, playing only two TAC Cup games, but Hine and his lieutenant Matt Rendell saw the makings of a midfield beast.

The Pies insisted on Jack Crisp from Brisbane, tipping the Dayne Beams deal in the Pies’ favour, and Brodie Grundy (pick No.18) and Jordan de Goey (No.5) are genuine superstars of the game.

Running machine Adam Treloar, who cost the best part of two first-round draft picks, helped power the Pies home in the last quarter against the Giants.

Levi Greenwood and Jeremy Howe, who were also both traded-in, will be pivotal to stopping Richmond on Friday night, and the Taylor Adams for Heath Shaw swap was also a big win-win, as much as the Shaw loss hurt at the time.

Perhaps the list wasn’t as messed up as it was thought, at the time.

Crucially for Hine, when it came to the crunch in last year’s club review, footy boss Geoff Walsh played a big part in saving the talent expert’s skin.

Taylor Adams in action for Collingwood.
Walsh knew Hine had one of the best eyes for talent in the game, and shifted him from the list chief gig back to national recruiting manager.

It might have been a kick in the guts at the time, but the move was designed to get Hine back to what he does best – and that’s find elite talent in the junior competitions.

So the deck chairs were shuffled, and Collingwood is thrilled with the moves since new list boss Ned Guy took over, welcoming Rising Star winner Jaidyn Stephenson (pick No.6) as well as rookie pair Brody Mihocek and Flynn Appelby.

It’s added a much-needed lick of cream to the Collingwood cake, but the Pies would suggest the bulk of the talent was already in place.

Back during the peak of Buckley hatred, the one thing I maintained right throughout was that our list was more than solid. To the point where even LAST YEAR I still believed it was better than Richmond's. I still do.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

KPF Depth Chart

May - Moore (can play forward) - Dunn - Goldsack - Kelly

3rd Tall Depth Chart

Howe - Langdon - Scharenberg

Mobile Attacking Half Back

Crisp - Maynard (can play 2 roles) - Quaynor - Murphy - Brown

Lockdown Defender

Maynard - Appleby

Goldsack has 1 season left, Dunn possibly 2 years, Kelly is no guarantee to make it.
Scharenberg has a big question mark over him given his injury history
Murphy and Brown haven't shown enough yet to make a call whether they make it.
Appleby is ok, but you don't want him playing 22 games.

Round 1 potential line up

Langdon - May - Maynard
Crisp - Moore - Howe

It's a pretty handy backline just quietly.

Not sure you can do that exercise and not factor in McLarty and Mihocek. Reid also, while less likely to return to defence, remains an option.

You mean they didn't book the town hall for a formal announcement?

Moore is such a wimp. Get rid of him. Still not ready to play, hes a joke.
Yeah, we should recruit you, because you’re so tough, mr Internet tough guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back