List Mgmt. Trade & F/A - 2018/2019 - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let's be honest not everyone is going to do what stevo did last year he had one of the best rookie years I've ever seen, the real question people need to ask when questioning why IQ Isnt in the side is who does he actually replace atm. The only people that you could think of is Greenwood and Aish and they've both been playing very well so that would be close to the reasons for it. It wont help when shaz and hopefully Langdon are available also. A little bit of time in the twos never hurt any young kids.

I’m not sure how one persons incorrect opinion has generated this much discussion, but here we are. I think it’s great that we all have opinions and are prepared to share although some are better left unsaid for the time being...

IMO, he’s going beautifully and I couldn’t be more chuffed because he’s played every game, durability is severely underrated on here, and I hope he’s at least 12 months from debuting! We’ve gone 22-9 since things clicked last year and have a very settled back 6 which is ranked 3rd league wide. For all we know he’s playing his role perfectly, just as JT is, and is being kept out by better match hardened senior footballers...

Let’s give him 20 VFL matches then think about assessing where he’s at, then give him another 20 and only then assess where he’s at.

What a pessimistic view on a kid that hasn’t even played 1 senior game.

I've been underwhelmed on the limited viewings I have had of the kid. I guess some of that comes down to the player I thought we were getting. I thought we getting a Hibberd type defender (good 1v1 in a lock down role and plays with run and dash) but from my watching of his games he's more a Johannisen type (plenty of run and dash but shaky on the 1v1 lockdown defensive stuff). Certainly wouldn't go as far as doubting his future, has time on his side.

I've been underwhelmed on the limited viewings I have had of the kid. I guess some of that comes down to the player I thought we were getting. I thought we getting a Hibberd type defender (good 1v1 in a lock down role and plays with run and dash) but from my watching of his games he's more a Johannisen type (plenty of run and dash but shaky on the 1v1 lockdown defensive stuff). Certainly wouldn't go as far as doubting his future, has time on his side.

His Under 18 reputation was the opposite. Maybe he's just adjusting to a more attacking role and hasn't yet learnt the best balance.

His Under 18 reputation was the opposite. Maybe he's just adjusting to a more attacking role and hasn't yet learnt the best balance.

Hence the expectations.

Yep that is how I see it too. Have seen him live about 4 time and I also commented on his defensive play, 1v1 and keeping touch with his opponent.

Has improved a lot in his last few games, and can see why we got him. Not sure there is a place for him in the seniors just yet and have no problem with him playing in the VFL unless he is knocking down doors.

Think those inside the club know better than us as to where he is at.

Yep that is how I see it too. Have seen him live about 4 time and I also commented on his defensive play, 1v1 and keeping touch with his opponent.

Has improved a lot in his last few games, and can see why we got him. Not sure there is a place for him in the seniors just yet and have no problem with him playing in the VFL unless he is knocking down doors.

Think those inside the club know better than us as to where he is at.

I've coached a fair bit of junior basketball and getting kids to go from a pure one on one mentality to a pure zone mentatlity is tough. It's even tougher to get them to understand how to sag off into a zone whilst still playing man on man, which is essentially how AFL defences work at the moment. How much rope is appropriate to give, how to not lose their man in a contest or in traffic, it takes a fair while to get it.

I've coached a fair bit of junior basketball and getting kids to go from a pure one on one mentality to a pure zone mentatlity is tough. It's even tougher to get them to understand how to sag off into a zone whilst still playing man on man, which is essentially how AFL defences work at the moment. How much rope is appropriate to give, how to not lose their man in a contest or in traffic, it takes a fair while to get it.

Yeah I get that. Add that there's an extra 2 players on the field (unless I'm mistaken) so it's naturally more congested. But IQ came to the club as a player who was (reportedly) very good 1v1 (had claimed some significant scalps) AND offered great run and carry. You don't just lose your 1v1 ability and that's his achilles heal at the moment. He's getting beaten too easily in contests and he's allowing too much latitude to his opponents.

As a counterpoint, Appleby came to the club as a dour 1v1 lock down player who lacked dash and he continued to show that 1v1 ability AND he's adding more dash to his game. Admittedly he was helped by injuries/suspension (Aish? or Varcoe?) but he'd debuted by round 6 because he was good at the basics for a defender... defending.

Early days and worst case scenario, Johannisen gets senior games.

Would love to see us have a crack at Brad Hill with rumours popping up about a return to Melbourne. Don’t think we could make it happen but he’s exactly the type of player I think we should target.
I’d be interested to see what you feel he adds.
Getting on a bit, and not sure he would be getting regular games with us.
A pass from me.

At 25 years of age and playing elite Footy I reckon he could still have a few good years left...
And this might be his best season even?
Usually or recent times plays well against us.

But still a pass from me.

But interesting thinking all the same. Food for thought.

A pass from me.
You sure you’re not thinking of Stephen SV?

Brad has gone to a new level at Freo his last 3 years have been very good. He would add line breaking speed to our midfield that I think we lack currently.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would love to see us have a crack at Brad Hill with rumours popping up about a return to Melbourne. Don’t think we could make it happen but he’s exactly the type of player I think we should target.

Doubt we have the Salary Room to go after anyone Big with All of Grundy,Moore and De Goey coming out of Contract next season

Yep. Happy to have a nibble at Brad Hill or Ed Langdon any runners adding midfield pace who are clean off the deck and can kick are kms for mine- particularly if they are goal kickers.

I think much like Beams, if he comes back to Melbourne, it’s the Hawks or bust.

I think much like Beams, if he comes back to Melbourne, it’s the Hawks or bust.
Yeah most definitely, and seems to be the talk for now. Just one of those players that if you think you’re in with a sniff, you go for him imo.

Hawks aren’t exactly screaming finals and won’t be for a little while he’s not going to help them that much. Might work in our favour.

A pass from me.

Hard to please. Brad Hill is a star, beautiful skills, elite speed and endurance. The best repeat sprinter in the game. Carved us up just a few weeks ago.

Hard to please. Brad Hill is a star, beautiful skills, elite speed and endurance. The best repeat sprinter in the game. Carved us up just a few weeks ago.
Maybe that’s why I’ve banished such memories.

People have made a good case for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back