List Mgmt. Trade & F/A - 2018/2019 - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
This from a facebook page that has been on the money numerous times.

IM COMING HOME:
Ed Langdon will leave Fremantle FC at seasons end and will return home to Victoria
Sources say he’s deciding between 5 clubs to join, with Melbourne, Collingwood, Carlton, North Melbourne and St Kilda
Melbourne at this stage seems to be leading the race and has offered him the bigger and longer deal, worth around $550,000 a year for 4 years

I think we would be in the box seat for this kid, playing with his brother at a contending Collingwood would be a huge lure.

Make a play like this?

How quick is he? How are his footskills? Speed and delivery. That's what I want in our next winger. We have enough one paced accumulators.

That's the way to be Dave. He's going to cop a lot of media articles about him between now and when he signs a contract but all the chatter is he's incredibly comfortable here in Melbourne and at Collingwood specifically.
He’ll sign a long term deal mid to late next year by the looks of it. Also gives Pies time to work on its cap space & continue to list manage the group of players that will most likely be retired & delisted over that period, Wells, Reid, Dunn, Goldy, Varcoe & possibly Wills, Crocker, Broomhead, Murray, Greenwood? would all be off our list by end of 2020.

$550 isn't that much in todays footy, if Mayne can earn $500 then Langdon is worth just as much, not saying Mayne is a bad player just making comparisons

Mayne's contract amount was a mistake. We should never have paid that much. I don't think we should project players value off that.

I wouldn’t touch Peter Wright if he were a DFA. He’s a big downgrade on what we currently have because he a) doesn’t get to enough contests and b) doesn’t compete hard enough at the contests he makes. He’ll be out of the system in 2 years, IMO. If I’m looking at GC for that type it would be Crossley, but he’s unlikely to want out.

Mitch Lewis is coming. I’d say he sits beside Naughton as the best marking forward U21 in the game. He clunks them and is huge! Major issue is he’s as likely to leave Hawthorn as we are of playing for Collingwood next year which is why it’s unfortunate that he’s the best fit.

Crossley is an interesting left field choice. I love his combination of height/size and reckless attack on the ball in the very limited football of his i've seen. It needs a lot of projection to imagine but he could be that tall that just contests. Gold Coast born and bred though so might be a hard sell for player and club.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We have nothing to really offer for Langdon, I dont mind chasing him but not if it ment losing a De goey or grundy down the track.

I think he will sort it long term.

Reids family genetics seemingly show a soft tissue issue, his dad and his brother also suffered from it. Further to that you can't project 1 players injury history onto another unrelated player. All be it I agree that it's slightly concerning that he has had hammy issues all the way back to u18s the question is are they unrelated tears or same spot? maybe has some scar tissue.
He said he didn't do his first hammy until he played reserves with Collingwood.

We have nothing to really offer for Langdon, I dont mind chasing him but not if it ment losing a De goey or grundy down the track.

Think Eddie might go to the Dees. Bloke from the WA press before our match said Melbourne and Collingwood were frontrunners, but the Dees have more cap space.

Interesting out of contract players:
  • Alex Keath, he'd be great at key defence but perhaps cost too much now.
  • Josh Walker, value key defender in the mould we chase.
  • Mason Redman, pace skills and can defend, would give us flexibility, but would cost
  • Griffin Logue, quality player loved him in his draft year and fits an age profile we need for developing key position players. Perhaps a pipe dream as he's from Perth but I like him.
  • Brayden Crossley, see above.
  • Jeff Garlett, may be on the wrong side of it but he is still quality and offers a unique counter point to our current forwards with his crumbing. Maybe a year or two too late.
^ just some spit balling for discussion.

Can't see how we can really chase players without shedding some quality given our tight cap.

That's assuming we have a tight cap. I don't think anyone really knows what situation the cap is in besides it being somewhere above the required 95%.

That's assuming we have a tight cap. I don't think anyone really knows what situation the cap is in besides it being somewhere above the required 95%.

You don't think asking senior players to come in and sign contract extensions (and shift money to later years) to allow us to squeeze in Dayne Beams is a sign we have a very tight cap?

Griffin Logue would be nice.

O.O.C this year.
Interesting out of contract players:
  • Alex Keath, he'd be great at key defence but perhaps cost too much now.
  • Josh Walker, value key defender in the mould we chase.
  • Mason Redman, pace skills and can defend, would give us flexibility, but would cost
  • Griffin Logue, quality player loved him in his draft year and fits an age profile we need for developing key position players. Perhaps a pipe dream as he's from Perth but I like him.
  • Brayden Crossley, see above.
  • Jeff Garlett, may be on the wrong side of it but he is still quality and offers a unique counter point to our current forwards with his crumbing. Maybe a year or two too late.
^ just some spit balling for discussion.

FYI the announcement of Logue re-committing to Fremantle was made two days ago.

You don't think asking senior players to come in and sign contract extensions (and shift money to later years) to allow us to squeeze in Dayne Beams is a sign we have a very tight cap?

Each year clubs lose 8-10 players which is circa $2.5 million in cap space and the cap itself increases incrementally year to year too. For all we know the moves to accommodate Beams were to ease the cap squeeze in 2019 and to create room in 2020. At this stage I wouldn’t even rule out his retirement. Personally I think we’re tight and the cautious approach is preferable to leave room for anyone that does a Mihocek or Roughead, but I wouldn’t entirely rule us out of having room to move.

Here’s a very simple example. Entering 2019 Greenwood and JT were more than likely in our 2020 projections and is it really beyond the realms of possibility that both will leave post 2019? Let’s say JT is traded to GC and we don’t re-contract Greenwood. If we replace one with a new draftee that leaves something in the vicinity of $500-600k available.

$550 isn't that much in todays footy, if Mayne can earn $500 then Langdon is worth just as much, not saying Mayne is a bad player just making comparisons
One bad deal is not justification for another

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back