List Mgmt. Trade & F/A - 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Possibly unpopular opinion: We should bring Heath Shaw back for a year to cover Greenwood whilst Quaynor develops into a certain starter.
I’m certain that would be unpopular with Shaw. I doubt he’ll be back at Collingwood in any capacity while Buckley is in charge.

Grundy won’t be leaving Collingwood unless he is going home. I would give it a 0% chance he goes down to Carlton or Essendon

I’ll take that bet! He wants to stay in Victoria for post career opportunities both inside and outside the industry. The talk of a return home is to get leverage.

Fair enough, hopefully we can get a first rounder or two in this draft use em on best available and also pick up Riccardi. I like Jones as a longer term option as well. Then like you said McInnes next year and hopefully we have the room to sign a big gun end of next year as well. Really want to start seeing some breakouts by guys like Sier, T.Brown, Murphy, etc.

We won’t have two 1st’s in this draft.

I should probably add a take on our movements as well to counter the muppets bullshit. For some it won’t be worth a pinch of s**t, but for others the view of someone that is fully immersed in all things Collingwood it might be more valuable than the media who need to be across everyone:

1. Cox’s trigger scares the club.
2. Wills is out.
3. Thomas is 50/50.

The first issue is no one rates Cox in club land outside Collingwood, rightly so for mine, as a result a deal won’t get done which means we’ll probably be wearing about $500k in 2021 for a fringe 22 type. That’s fine if you’re GC, but not a contending club with three guns OOC. The reason a deal won’t get done is any acquiring club will want us to pay part of his salary and get him for a junk pick which we won’t do because of how highly we rate him...

Wills is out based on Sier being re-signed now. This one’s a good strategic call, IMO. I believe our preference would have been to wait until post trade week and cash in on whoever has the best value. Wills’ impending departure has likely brought forward a decision on Sier. My best guess is we offered Wills 1 year on low money and someone liked his finish to the season so they’ve offered 2 on decent coin. It’s a deal that will be done Tuesday or Wednesday and that’s a great outcome for all three parties, IMO. If this doesn’t come to pass all good because Wills is popular amongst the group.

JT and Varcoe are intrinsically linked if we lose JT I guarantee Varcoe stays, but if JT stays I wouldn’t lock in a new contract for Varcoe yet. My gut feel based on whispers is JT goes and Varcoe gets a one year deal.

Onto our re-signing of older depth. Good clubs don’t chuck them all on the scrap heap in one season they stagger it. Post 2019 we’ve already lost Goldsack and Wells with Dunn odds on to not receive a new deal, IMO. Post 2020 it’ll be Greenwood, Varcoe and Reid that get phased out and 2021 Mayne with Q’s over Pendles.

In a nutshell none of our movements are hinting at us ramping up for a last tilt with this list, but rather all are considered moves in a longer term strategy to have us attain sustained success. What will define the playing list is our ability to attract a big name around the time Pendles departs and our ability to find gold at least once a draft for the next couple of years.

Last edited:
I’ll take that bet! He wants to stay in Victoria for post career opportunities both inside and outside the industry. The talk of a return home is to get leverage.

I should probably add a take on our movements as well to counter the muppets bullshit. For some it won’t be worth a pinch of s**t, but for others the view of someone that is fully immersed in all things Collingwood it might be more valuable than the media who need to be across everyone:

2. Wills is out.
3. Thomas is 50/50.

The first issue is no one rates Cox in club land outside Collingwood, rightly so for mine, as a result a deal won’t get done which means we’ll probably be wearing about $500k in 2021 for a fringe 22 type. That’s fine if you’re GC, but not a contending club with three guns OOC. The reason a deal won’t get done is any acquiring club will want us to pay part of his salary and get him for a junk pick which we won’t do because of how highly we rate him...

Wills is out based on Sier being re-signed now. This one’s a good strategic call, IMO. I believe our preference would have been to wait until post trade week and cash in on whoever has the best value. Wills’ impending departure has likely brought forward a decision on Sier. My best guess is we offered Wills 1 year on low money and someone liked his finish to the season so they’ve offered 2 on decent coin. It’s a deal that will be done Tuesday or Wednesday and that’s a great outcome for all three parties, IMO. If this doesn’t come to pass all good because Wills is popular amongst the group.

JT and Varcoe are intrinsically linked if we lose JT I guarantee Varcoe stays, but if JT leaves I wouldn’t lock in a new contract for Varcoe yet. My gut feel based on whispers is JT goes and Varcoe gets a one year deal.

Onto our re-signing of older depth. Good clubs don’t chuck them all on the scrap heap in one season they stagger it. Post 2019 we’ve already lost Goldsack and Wells with Dunn odds on to not receive a new deal, IMO. Post 2020 it’ll be Greenwood, Varcoe and Reid that get phased out and 2021 Mayne with Q’s over Pendles.

In a nutshell none of our movements are hinting at us ramping up for a list tilt, but rather all are considered moves in a longer term strategy to have us attain sustained success. What will define us is our ability to attract a big name around the time Pendles departs and our ability to find gold at least once a draft for the next couple of years.
So wait... why would you leave Collingwood to Essendon/Carlton if you want opportunities outside of football? Because it sure as hell isn’t going to get you more.

If thats what he wants, he isn’t leaving.

Interesting discussion on SEN this morning with Jason McCartney about Aiden Bonar.

I really hope we are into this kid, they're saying he's worth a mid to late 2nd, so maybe a late 2nd to early 3rd could get it done.

We need to look at improving the way we win the ball inside and get effective clearances. He would be an upgrade on Wills, and would put pressure on Sier to start performing consistently.

Pardon the intrusion, but I heard the talk on Trade Radio yesterday stating that he was on $450-500k already per season at GWS.

From everything we’re led to believe about the Pies right cap, can you afford to accomodate him as just a back up?

2. Wills is out.
3. Thomas is 50/50.

JT and Varcoe are intrinsically linked if we lose JT I guarantee Varcoe stays, but if JT leaves I wouldn’t lock in a new contract for Varcoe yet. My gut feel based on whispers is JT goes and Varcoe gets a one year deal.

In a nutshell none of our movements are hinting at us ramping up for a list tilt, but rather all are considered moves in a longer term strategy to have us attain sustained success. What will define us is our ability to attract a big name around the time Pendles departs and our ability to find gold at least once a draft for the next couple of years.

I agree with this except I fully suspend Pendlebury to do a Burgoyne and play for quite some time yet.

2. Wills is out.
3. Thomas is 50/50.

What is Cox’s trigger? Has he reached it yet? No issues playing him in the VFL to ensure he doesn’t reach it on my end.

Sooner he’s out the better

What is Cox’s trigger? Has he reached it yet? No issues playing him in the VFL to ensure he doesn’t reach it on my end.

Sooner he’s out the better

He needs to play a grand total of 1 match in 2020 to get there so he’s contracted for 2021.

Pardon the intrusion, but I heard the talk on Trade Radio yesterday stating that he was on $450-500k already per season at GWS.

From everything we’re led to believe about the Pies right cap, can you afford to accomodate him as just a back up?

It depends what he wants a move for, cash, or opportunity. If he was going to cost us that, then no, i wouldn't want him.

CFC2010 Won't like reading this :drunk:

Wonder when we're going to make our 800k play to lure a big fish with all our excess cash hanging round... amirite?

Our resident Kappa-ologist has returned. Took you a while.

I am not sure what is funnier you quoting our resident chameleon poster in Thatsmyname or Tom Browne as evidence about our shot cap.

You do know they have a thread on the main board about Mr Browne ( https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/classic-tom-browne-moments.1186409/ )
Unlike you and most here I deal in facts and I don't take what so-called journalists say as gospel.

The last question was obviously too hard for you so lets try another one...……….....name me another team that needs to sign players of the calibre of Grundy, De Goey and Moore in the same year?

Possibly unpopular opinion: We should bring Heath Shaw back for a year to cover Greenwood whilst Quaynor develops into a certain starter.

Heath wouldn't play under Buckley under any circumstances - been on the record saying he basically hates him (not in so many words but it was pretty clear).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tom Browne is a good friend of Eddie, and a Collingwood man. I never thought about it that way, but I have to say that the theory Alexander323bc came up with is pretty compelling given that Browne seems to go on about our cap more than anyone. I think he might actually be Eddie’s mouthpiece in this strategy.

What's the theory?

So wait... why would you leave Collingwood to Essendon/Carlton if you want opportunities outside of football? Because it sure as hell isn’t going to get you more.

If thats what he wants, he isn’t leaving.

Hmm based on this response I think I’m going to struggle to convey my point, but here goes.

He wants to stay in Vic for the outside opportunities the club doesn’t matter and that’s why you can rule out the Crows. The job opportunities for him and his partner just aren’t the same in Adelaide.

The reason he would leave Collingwood for Essendon or Carlton is the 7 years he wants. If we go there he’ll be staying 100% if we don’t I’d say the chances of him staying are less than 50/50 because those two clubs will. The chase for Grundy essentially hinges on which Vic club goes to 7 years.

Edit: I should add that both Carlton and Essendon are on par with Collingwood in terms of enticing post career opportunities because of their coteries.

Last edited:

2. Wills is out.
3. Thomas is 50/50.

In a nutshell none of our movements are hinting at us ramping up for a last tilt with this list, but rather all are considered moves in a longer term strategy to have us attain sustained success. What will define the playing list is our ability to attract a big name around the time Pendles departs and our ability to find gold at least once a draft for the next couple of years.
2020 first plus say Shaz or Cox there's one
And if we trade JT and say Wills to Suns there's another.

So 4 clubs supposedly coming up on Trade Radio at 8am and another 4 clubs at 8:40. Suspect that means 10 mins each maximum, take away ads. Unless they're sitting on a panel.

Our club is not on of those 8:

Once again our club has done a disappearing act. If you were a Geelong, Essendon or GWS supporter at this time of year, you'd at least get some insight.
It's because Geoff Walsh has an extreme dislike of the media.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back