List Mgmt. Trade & F/A - 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If we go by that old chestnut 2 meter Peter projects better than both Moore and Lynch averaging 1.4 goals a game whilst playing for the Suns.....

I’ve never bought the s**t team narrative. It didn’t have any impact on Hogan or Reiwoldt x2. Lynch’s slowish start was more due to the late growth spurt, IMO.

We have the personel, it's ridiculous amount of injuries we have been carrying has hamstrung us.
Fix that fkin paddock we call a training ground up and within a season we reduce the injuries by at least a half.
reckon the players would take ~ $5k hit ea off their gross salary = ~ $200 k to kick start the fix to the ground

post tax not a huge amount ..... 1 x smashed avo on multigrain / day

benefits - not training on granite; fewer injuries; better team performance; less time in rehab; fewer long haul flights to Munich etc

just saying....

We have the personel, it's ridiculous amount of injuries we have been carrying has hamstrung us.

Fix that fkin paddock we call a training ground up and within a season we reduce the injuries by at least a half.

Mate, you keep banging on about the training ground being responsible for our injuries. Do you know for a fact that it’s the issue?

Also, do you think the club would let the players continue to train on it if they were advised it’s the problem?

I don’t know if it is or isn’t the issue. However, I’d be surprised if the club hadn’t already had those with the most suitable qualifications test the surface and come back with their opinion on it. If the recommendation was to re-surface and the club has done nothing about, you would need to question them.

However, you seem to be full of contradictions. You were attacking those who suggested it was time for someone like Eddie to hand over the reigns because he is doing a great job, yet you are wanting answers as to why the club hasn’t changed the surface because in your opinion that is the only reason why our players are always injured.

He has never been a good forward, going back to his junior days. To think he will suddenly be a good one at AFL level is a huge stretch. There is no evidence to suggest otherwise.

Lynch has been an elite key forward almost from his first year. There is no comparison and no logical reason to say Moore would be better.

Their 1st year numbers were almost identical, Lynch ave 2 more disposals and played 4 more games.

Their 2nd year both played 17 games, Lynch had higher disp 1 more mark per game but less ave goals, less shots on goal, less in50 marks, less inside 50s and lower DE then Moore.

Year 3 all Moores numbers were trending up, Lynch had injury year playing 8 games but in those was statistically6 inferior to Moores averages.

He then got moved to defence.

I’m real suspect on Langdon being smaller than Crisp and Pendles who are both listed at 90kg. Then we have Shaz at 93kg... I’d say that the club have fudged his numbers on purpose.

This is a general comment, but given we aren’t playing soccer I’ve also never seen the relevance of the measurement of height for a KPP? I mean Rich could be 200cm, but with those T-Rex arms of his he’d be useless.

Two things I’d like from the AFL are an NBA style crackdown on player measurements plus arm and handspan measurements. Absolute vertical would be nice, but given that can fluctuate it’s probably not reliable.

And it’s absolute agreement from me on the Richmond defence being system/ structure > talent/ physical traits!

Haha you cracked me up forming a mental image of a 200cm Rich with his current T-Rex arms - there's my Saturday funny right there...

I agree to a certain extent that height isn't always relevant and indeed the Richmond backline isn't overly tall, but I'm a bit old fashioned in sticking to the adage that tall players don't get any shorter as the game wears on so that extra bit of height probably still helps a a bit.

The sprint I agree with, he's a power athlete. I had a look at the 2009 draft combine vids, guess what? They show Dusty doing really well in the kicking test, the repeat sprint (opposed to Adelaide's Tom Lynch), the agility test....but no beep test. They had the top ten beepers listed and stopped @ 14.4 I think so he may have done a 14.1. He certainly was a lot smaller than he is now.

Its a documented result there is no "MAY" about it. Not sure how you can agree or not agree with a fact?

Just because he didn't make the top 10 in a year where there were a lot of very good beep results doesn't stop him from running a 14.1.

He is an elite all round athlete.

You are assessing Moore as fwd based on his early career where he was a skinny kid - he would have been equally unimpressive if he played defence at that time.

He is now mature, bigger, stronger and experienced so he is a very different proposition as a fwd.

He could be better than Lynch as he is taller, faster and better below his knees.
Moore could be an elite forward, no doubt, guy could be anything if we can get the continuity in him.

Reckon you're right

Here are the draft camp results from that year.
Dusty the second quickest over 20m and top 10 in repeat sprints.
Also did well in the kicking test (2nd)
Not in the top 10 for 2k or beep test.

He's not. You obviously missed my follow up post but I see Apex re-posted it to you.

Except you ignore fact he was playing for the Suns who in first three years only won a handful of games. Wonder what the goals as percentages of total club goals looks like.

Lol So did we!
In Moores time fwd, WE WERE A s**t SIDE with bottom 4 and 6 finishes every year he was in the forward line. We also ranked dead last or 2nd last in these important areas, inside forward 50 retention, inside 50s and goals from rebound 50s.

Also Moore had no support up fwd, Lynch also had Day, Dixon and others with Gablett having 30 -50 odd disposals a game.

I would love to see what Moore can do up forward again, but I feel that playing forward is more explosive than playing back and may be more risky on his hamstrings.

He is a potential AA CHB though. Would love him to be an AA CHF

Thats just rubbish. Playing as a defender is equally explosive because the fwd dictates when to lead, the defender needs to not only keep pace but also match up the lag time.

Majority of his hamstrings have been done in defence btw. Same with Reid they moved him out of defence in a bid to stop the soft tissue injuries. Fact is there is no place on the field that will protect a player from 100% maximum efforts.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’ve never bought the s**t team narrative. It didn’t have any impact on Hogan or Reiwoldt x2. Lynch’s slowish start was more due to the late growth spurt, IMO.

It's just a fact of most KPF's in general. They "generally" take longer then mids to impact regularly and find consistency.

WC Josh Kennedy was considered an overweight spud at Carlton eventually after 4-5 or so years in the system became an elite tall who went on to be a multi coleman winner. There are a lot of similar KPF stories many look at a 5-10 year KPF and forget where that player was at in years 1-3.

Buddy, Lockett, Hogan etc were exceptions not the norm.

We should not go spending huge money on a fwd without trying Moore - I suspect he will succeed and save us a lot of money, to then cover other areas like a gun replacement for Pendlebury eg Josh Kelly.
I tend to agree. I think Howe and Moore are pretty like for like as defenders, same strengths same strength in a one on one weakness. But i do tjink Moore is going to be a much better defence than forward.

I would have another look at Moore as a forward though, but frankly with JDG and Stephenson I'm not convinced that we need to add a gun KPF.

Lol So did we!
In Moores time fwd, WE WERE A s**t SIDE with bottom 4 and 6 finishes every year he was in the forward line. We also ranked dead last or 2nd last in these important areas, inside forward 50 retention, inside 50s and goals from rebound 50s.

Also Moore had no support up fwd, Lynch also had Day, Dixon and others with Gablett having 30 -50 odd disposals a game.

LOL We did not play finals but to equate those three years for us with the first three years of the Suns is just laughable. They were a team of kids getting their arses spanked every week. Moore’s record should be considerably better than Lynch’s.

LOL We did not play finals but to equate those three years for us with the first three years of the Suns is just laughable. They were a team of kids getting their arses spanked every week. Moore’s record should be considerably better than Lynch’s.

Not only did we not play finals but we were a legitimate bottom 4 to 6 team with many bottom 2 indicators of which some even GC were better then us at the time.

A poor team is a poor team, you act like we are a top team or even middling side through that period when we weren't. We were very poor offensively in forward 50 connection and ball movement. Structurally poor in regards to KPF for support and also going through our own rebuild of "kids" at the time.

Fwiw GC won 8 games in Lynchs 3rd season and 10 the following year. 3 in his first 2.

Last edited:
Not only did we not play finals but we were a legitimate bottom 4 to 6 team with many bottom 2 indicators of which some even GC were better then us at the time.

A poor team is a poor team, you act like we are a top team or even middling side through that period when we weren't. We were very poor offensively in forward 50 connection and ball movement. Structurally poor in regards to KPF for support and also going through our own rebuild of "kids" at the time.

Fwiw GC won 8 games in Lynchs 3rd season and 10 the following year. 3 in his first 2.
Plus ladder position is far from everything when judging how many goals to expect from a KPF. We regularly played a couple of extra mids in those years and often had four forwards competing against 7 defenders.

That said, I'd be having a look at Moore forward again at some stage, but I'd be planning around him being a defender. I certainly would not make any future decisions around the idea of Moore becoming a forward, because he looks much more likely in defence.

Plus ladder position is far from everything when judging how many goals to expect from a KPF. We regularly played a couple of extra mids in those years and often had four forwards competing against 7 defenders.

That said, I'd be having a look at Moore forward again at some stage, but I'd be planning around him being a defender. I certainly would not make any future decisions around the idea of Moore becoming a forward, because he looks much more likely in defence.

If it happens you need to allow him time to adjust again none of this 1 or 2 games and panick back to defence s**t. Players need consistency in the role to perform to optimum and adjust to the team around them.

If it happens you need to allow him time to adjust again none of this 1 or 2 games and panick back to defence s**t. Players need consistency in the role to perform to optimum and adjust to the team around them.
Yes, but as supporters what we often forget is that clubs don't just go by performance in games to judge a bloke's suitability for different roles. They also get a truckload of information from training.

Looking at our list profile, I’d say that several things need to happen in the next 12-24 months assuming we don’t have the cap space to chase a gun key forward, and they’re dependant on each other:

1. Keane and Kelly both need to develop as AFL quality key defenders. Roughead and Moore are both great options, but Roughy is approaching 30 and Moore also remains our best key forward option. Murphy could also potentially cover a key defensive role if he’s reached 193cm or more. He’s actually my pick of the bunch because of his attack on the footy and his beautiful field kicking.

2. If two of those 3 can slot in to KPD roles then Moore can be moved forward. He can play Cox’s role but be better in every way and with Cox pushing 30 and not seeming to be improving anymore, it’s time to look at other options. Think a fit Joe Daniher and that’s what you’d get with Darcy forward now that he’s grown in to his body and is more experienced at the level.

3. One of Wilson or Tohill needs to develop in to an AFL standard forward. Wilson is the one I’m bullish on here. He showed some real glimpses last year with no preseason after several years out of the game. We know he’s got the work ethic too, because you don’t get selected as a Boomer if you’re a slacker.

4. If one of Wilson or Tohill can push in to the forward line it releases JDG to play more minutes in the middle. This will become more and more necessary in the future, with Pendles approaching his mid thirties and possibly being moved to a wing or less physical role in the future. Yes, we have Sier and Wills, but neither of them are currently even close to being in Jordy’s league in the middle.

There are several more things that need to go right including nailing draft picks and natural progression from our kids, but if we want to keep our window open for as long as possible then the changes/development of our spine are crucial imo, and all of it is very achievable.

Looking at our list profile, I’d say that several things need to happen in the next 12-24 months assuming we don’t have the cap space to chase a gun key forward, and they’re dependant on each other:

1. Keane and Kelly both need to develop as AFL quality key defenders. Roughead and Moore are both great options, but Roughy is approaching 30 and Moore also remains our best key forward option. Murphy could also potentially cover a key defensive role if he’s reached 193cm or more. He’s actually my pick of the bunch because of his attack on the footy and his beautiful field kicking.

2. If two of those 3 can slot in to KPD roles then Moore can be moved forward. He can play Cox’s role but be better in every way and with Cox pushing 30 and not seeming to be improving anymore, it’s time to look at other options. Think a fit Joe Daniher and that’s what you’d get with Darcy forward now that he’s grown in to his body and is more experienced at the level.

3. One of Wilson or Tohill needs to develop in to an AFL standard forward. Wilson is the one I’m bullish on here. He showed some real glimpses last year with no preseason after several years out of the game. We know he’s got the work ethic too, because you don’t get selected as a Boomer if you’re a slacker.

4. If one of Wilson or Tohill can push in to the forward line it releases JDG to play more minutes in the middle. This will become more and more necessary in the future, with Pendles approaching his mid thirties and possibly being moved to a wing or less physical role in the future. Yes, we have Sier and Wills, but neither of them are currently even close to being in Jordy’s league in the middle.

There are several more things that need to go right including nailing draft picks and natural progression from our kids, but if we want to keep our window open for as long as possible then the changes/development of our spine are crucial imo, and all of it is very achievable.
I actually think you could move Moore forward now without needing those things to go right, but I rate Howe's ability to play kpd 2 much higher than most people do. The issue is that I'm not convinced that Moore will be a top forward, whereas I'm convinced that he will be a sensational defender.

They wont play him forward because they dont have someone as good as him in defence and Buckely wants to build from defence, NOT because they think he can't play there.

I think it will all depend on whether Bucks feels we have the cap space to lure a gun fwd. - if not I would not be surprised if he tried Moore fwd.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back