List Mgmt. Trade & F/A - 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
People complaining about the Aish deal or the fact we didn't upgrade this years picks need to grasp the following concepts

1. Salary dumping is the new trend. It's less about the pick you get in return, and more about the salary off the books.

2. We can still trade draft picks.

3. When you tell a guy he is unlikely to get a new contract and tell him to explore his options, you effectively lose all bargaining power in a trade.

4. With academy selections dominating next year's draft, having a strong hand in the draft is a huge plus. Gives us a lot of options to work with...either this year to get back into the first round, or next year at the trade table when hopefully we have locked away our guns and have some more cap space to work with.

When you put the above into perspective, and the fact we didn't lose a top 22 player in my opinion, we have done ok. I think Aish has upside and I'm sad to see him go, but I have him around 23-26 on our list after 3 seasons to prove himself.

Well that is where it Differs what People think about Aish Trade. Some see him like Me as Best 22 Player while others have him on the Fringers

If our cap is that tight we have mismanaged our list.

Ned Guy claimed our goal was to get a first round pick. That didn’t happen

Next years draft is academy dominated and apparently we have one of the better academy prospects so we should of looked to trade next years first pick to get back into this years first round as we need points next year.

But we got a NEAFL ruckman
Picks can still be traded right up until draft night. It’s entirely possible for us to trade in to the first round still.

I'd agree with you if i held the belief that you need a gun kpf to be a gun team. I just don't hold that belief.

You used to hear similar things in basketball about centres. Then all of a sudden Chicago Bulls dominated the game with Luc Longley playing centre.

We dreamed of a dominant ruckman, because you couldn't win flags without one. Now that we've got one, they all of a sudden aren't important for flag winning.

You can win flags with role players in any position, if you've got enough stars around them and you play a style that lets the stars shine.

Bulls also had 2 of the greatest of all time and one of the best defensive players ever on that team. You can cover a lot of ground when you've got that talent.

I've come around in some respects to your way of thinking on this. Maybe you dont need a bonafide gun forward (although recent history suggests it helps). But i think we need better than what we have at the moment.

Special circumstances, those players will accept one year contracts for a packet of chips, it holds the line so you can dump them all next year for Grundy, De Goey and Moore's contracts.

If you put anyone else on the books they will want years and dollars, and we can't commit to either of those
Have a senior list of 38 and have a look at a few extra rookies. Would cost us less and you only have to give a rookie one year.

Holy s**t a future 2nd and 4th for James Aish?

Is he off our books for 2020 now too? If so we made out like bandits.
Swap of fourth rounders, and an upgrade of our future 3rd to StKildas future 2nd. Not quite the bounty you’re describing, but good under the circumstances.

Have a senior list of 38 and have a look at a few extra rookies. Would cost us less and you only have to give a rookie one year.
Rookies are rookies, I'd play Dunn/Reid in a final before Tohill/Keane

But I'm open to those two young boys proving me wrong

Good for club and good for player. Not ideal no. Liked Aish and reality is, for where he was drafted and has got to so far (injuries aside), I think won’t get any worse and won’t get any better.

Meaning, in his time at Pies and with other injuries he hasn’t cemented a spot. Same as Shaz this year with likes of Langers and Dunny out. Best Aish got three year deal vs fighting for spot next year and no guarantee of extension. He plays on wing out West and Quaynor steps up here. Win win.

Come to think of it, Aish is this year’s Wellingham.

Plus we now have picks round one and two next year (all eyes on Saints), or can manoeuvre better picks this year by trading picks again.

Rookies are rookies, I'd play Dunn/Reid in a final before Tohill/Keane

But I'm open to those two young boys proving me wrong
Depends on the rookie. Aka Checkers, Cox. Besides, didn’t Richmond have a few in this year’s GF? We had a few in 2010 GF (ex rookies).

Good for club and good for player. Not ideal no. Liked Aish and reality is, for where he was drafted and has got to so far (injuries aside), I think won’t get any worse and won’t get any better.

Meaning, in his time at Pies and with other injuries he hasn’t cemented a spot. Same as Shaz this year with likes of Langers and Dunny out. Best Aish got three year deal vs fighting for spot next year and no guarantee of extension. He plays on wing out West and Quaynor steps up here. Win win.

Come to think of it, Aish is this year’s Wellingham.

Plus we now have picks round one and two next year (all eyes on Saints), or can manoeuvre better picks this year by trading picks again.

Didn't we get pick 17 or something for Wellingham? ;)

Depends on the rookie. Aka Checkers, Cox. Besides, didn’t Richmond have a few in this year’s GF? We had a few in 2010 GF (ex rookies).
We had quite a few in our last premiership too, but right now Reid and Dunn are great depth if fit as opposed to untried rookies

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bulls also had 2 of the greatest of all time and one of the best defensive players ever on that team. You can cover a lot of ground when you've got that talent.

I've come around in some respects to your way of thinking on this. Maybe you dont need a bonafide gun forward (although recent history suggests it helps). But i think we need better than what we have at the moment.

Im curious why you think recent history shows it matters.

Despite only winning 2 flags, the Tigers have been the best team for the last 3 years. For 2 of those years, their forward line had one bloke standing 193cm and smalls around him.

The year before the flag was won by a team by playing without a genuine kpf all season. On grand final day a tall drifted forward from the ruck to have an impact for his only time in his career.

Lynch helps the tigers because he's a bloody good player, but replace him with Degoey and i think theyd be even better.

Sad to see Aish go, but I think we did ok out of the deal.

Expecting us to move next years 1st rounder to get an early crack this year too, got some nice draft points lined up for 2020 now.

Mihocek was a rookie and played in a GF in his first season at the club. Most rookies aren’t category B’s
I know, but you can't count on them, the Mihocek's are a bonus, not a given

Im curious why you think recent history shows it matters.

Despite only winning 2 flags, the Tigers have been the best team for the last 3 years. For 2 of those years, their forward line had one bloke standing 193cm and smalls around him.

The year before the flag was won by a team by playing without a genuine kpf all season. On grand final day a tall drifted forward from the ruck to have an impact for his only time in his career.

Lynch helps the tigers because he's a bloody good player, but replace him with Degoey and i think theyd be even better.
Adelaide were the best side in 17 just blew it on the day Richmond have been the best side throughout 18-19.

To be competitive we need quality key forwards

Adelaide were the best side in 17 just blew it on the day Richmond have been the best side throughout 18-19.

To be competitive we need quality key forwards
We're competitive already. To dominate, I just think we need to get it in quicker to give our stars more room to shine and when we do go towards a big lump role player, we need to get blokes to his feet. We didn't do either this year and thus didn't take advantage of our strengths and highlighted our weakness.

On the Richmond vs Adelaide thing, Id argue that when the heat rose in the finals and thus the delivery standards dropped, the good tall forwards of Adelaide weren't as effective as the Richmond mob of smalls. Adelaide were the better home and away team, but the tigers played a brand that stood up better when it got really hot.

You can’t count on Reid either. You take a rookie they fail what have you lost? But they succeed and the side can improve of the back of that

Like I said this is a holding pattern for a specific reason, and after Cox went down your key forward options in the prelim were Tohill and Wilson without Reid

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back