List Mgmt. Trade & F/A - 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Townsend, Walker, Robertson are my three preferred DFA's
Don't rate any of those.

I wonder if the lack of aggression of Shazza was because he was protecting himself from injury until he became more confident.

BTW, am peeved we missed out on Cripps but look how many other teams overlooked him. We were unlucky that Shazza got injured because plenty rated him.

Fair call, although he did drop away pretty quickly omce he became a name and started to receive some attention from the opposition.

I was pretty young at the time but a family friend used to work with Scott and there was a period where his form was down where he was battling illness for awhile,
IIRC there was a game where he literally s**t himself on the bench

Yes I was shocked. I'd never before seen a highly rated defender be less aggressive in his contests than when I first saw Shaz. He peeled away from contests like I've only seen forwards do before. He's significantly improved his attack to become acceptable in this regard, but I was shocked by my first few glimpses of him.
As I said, your expectations were to high under the circumstances.

The mike has been well and truly dropped after this post!

Haha, yeah I don't think so. It was a good post but does nothing to answer the question why Collingwood hasn't reach the level of achievement that so many other teams have, especially considering I was sold this idea that Collingwood is a powerhouse. Tell me what kind of a powerhouse that is only capable of winning 2 premierships in 50 years.

Until we win multiple premierships, you can drop all the mics you want because it is meaningless.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Haha, thanks for the laugh mate.
If you can't tell I am feeling frustrated with seeing Richmond winning 2 premierships in 3 years.
Oh you just need to remind yourself that no Richmond supporter will ever truly be able to enjoy this long awaited period of success without knowing Collingwood spoilt their Perfecto

Almost.png

Now you can laugh ;)

As I said, your expectations were to high under the circumstances.
Maybe. Or maybe I recognised a weakness that will stop him from being a top liner. Basically, my view on Shaz is that if he had the aggression to hit contests like Levi Greenwood, he'd be a star. Basically I view a low level of aggression to be a weakness in the same vein as a lack of pace or strength. Fair chance I'm wrong, but I do think Shaz supports my theory. Hes got some wonderful attributes, but he can't get a regular game.

Maybe. Or maybe I recognised a weakness that will stop him from being a top liner. Basically, my view on Shaz is that if he had the aggression to hit contests like Levi Greenwood, he'd be a star. Basically I view a low level of aggression to be a weakness in the same vein as a lack of pace or strength. Fair chance I'm wrong, but I do think Shaz supports my theory. Hes got some wonderful attributes, but he can't get a regular game.
Keep your avatar Fonzie, because a fit Scharenberg for a sustained period will make you eat your words.

Keep your avatar Fonzie, because a fit Scharenberg for a sustained period will make you eat your words.
Shaz with the the help of CFC2010 did get me my avatar, so that would be fitting. I sincerely hope you're right. I'd love to see him prove me wrong.

But if Shaz does rise from a pretty perilous career position by somehow finding his inner Greenwood and playing with aggression, will you eat your words, which I assum are suggesting that a lack of aggression isn't an issue holding him back?

Shaz with the the help of CFC2010 did get me my avatar, so that would be fitting. I sincerely hope you're right. I'd love to see him prove me wrong.

But if Shaz does rise from a pretty perilous career position by somehow finding his inner Greenwood and playing with aggression, will you eat your words, which I assum are suggesting that a lack of aggression isn't an issue holding him back?

I have been following your posts today and I was going to post a Fonzie jumping the shark gif but I refrained.

As I have posted recently I am still angry about the Prelim.......playing Aish and “trying” to make him a tagger in that game only made me angrier.

Shaza has 12 months to prove the doubters like you wrong.

As long as our match committee who dropped the ball in the Prelim realise that then in 2020 I have no doubt he will get the job done for us.

You’re twisting my words a bit here I think. Your original suggestion was that you hoped the club learned a lesson to not recruit players who lack aggression and targeted Aish and Scharenberg. I couldn’t speak about Aish because I didn’t follow him much as a junior but I told you that Scharenberg had plenty of it in his junior days before he was cruelled by injuries. I’ve never suggested that his current lack of aggression wasn’t holding him back, I’ve suggested his continuity and injuries have made him more cautious. I’m also suggesting that with said continuity and confidence that his aggression he showed in junior footy is likely to return.

It honestly baffles me that people are surprised it’s taking a bit for him to have enough confidence in his body to start throwing himself at contests. I’d be wrapping myself in cotton wool if I’d been through what he has...

I have been following your posts today and I was going to post a Fonzie jumping the shark gif but I refrained.

As I have posted recently I am still angry about the Prelim.......playing Aish and “trying” to make him a tagger in that game only made me angrier.

Shaza has 12 months to prove the doubters like you wrong.

As long as our match committee who dropped the ball in the Prelim realise that then in 2020 I have no doubt he will get the job done for us.

You should have posted the gif.

Good luck to Shaz. I do think he can be a solid defender. He's wonderful depth, but with his strength being in the air and Roughy, Moore, Howe and Langdon all ahead of him, I don't like his chances with us, unless injuries hit again.

When it comes to the aggression stuff. its a negotiable for me, but you'd need to be off the scales in other areas to get to the negotiating table.

You’re twisting my words a bit here I think. Your original suggestion was that you hoped the club learned a lesson to not recruit players who lack aggression and targeted Aish and Scharenberg. I couldn’t speak about Aish because I didn’t follow him much as a junior but I told you that Scharenberg had plenty of it in his junior days before he was cruelled by injuries. I’ve never suggested that his current lack of aggression wasn’t holding him back, I’ve suggested his continuity and injuries have made him more cautious. I’m also suggesting that with said continuity and confidence that his aggression he showed in junior footy is likely to return.

It honestly baffles me that people are surprised it’s taking a bit for him to have enough confidence in his body to start throwing himself at contests. I’d be wrapping myself in cotton wool if I’d been through what he has...
I suppose i think aggression is more innate than you do.

It's pretty rare to see a bloke who previously hit contests hard come back from an injury and show very few signs of hitting contests hard. They may do so when returning in the ressies for a couple of weeks, but they don't when elevated to the seniors.

In terms of junior footy, you seem to be suggesting that you watched a lot of Shaz as a junior but not much of Aish, which seems a bit odd considering they played their rep footy in the same team and the rest of their junior footy in the same league. Aish though was much easier to watch, because he played seniors which were often televised. Were you a big watcher of Glenelg juniors and reserves?

Sidebottom is my bambi, sounds like Shaz is yours. But both our Bambis are low on aggression.

Last edited:
Interesting discussion re aggression. For mine aggression is more a personality trait rather than anything else. Commitment, attack, fearlessness, courage are words that could be used in a similar context. I wouldn't describe Scharenberg as aggressive but he has the other qualities in spades and personally I value these over aggression. Regarding Schazza, he's had to play mostly against players taller and bigger bodied than he is, so what's his best method against these types, be aggressive or be smarter and use timing and anticipation and positional nous to get the upper hand. If attacking the ball when spoiling or in ground ball contests could be described as aggressive then he probably has that too. Can someone be described as aggressively backing into a contest with eyes only on the ball?
I don't think aggression ever makes up for lack of skill, composure, balance, smarts etc. and have seen too many players who think that it does come to grief.

Interesting discussion re aggression. For mine aggression is more a personality trait rather than anything else. Commitment, attack, fearlessness, courage are words that could be used in a similar context. I wouldn't describe Scharenberg as aggressive but he has the other qualities in spades and personally I value these over aggression. Regarding Schazza, he's had to play mostly against players taller and bigger bodied than he is, so what's his best method against these types, be aggressive or be smarter and use timing and anticipation and positional nous to get the upper hand. If attacking the ball when spoiling or in ground ball contests could be described as aggressive then he probably has that too. Can someone be described as aggressively backing into a contest with eyes only on the ball?
I don't think aggression ever makes up for lack of skill, composure, balance, smarts etc. and have seen too many players who think that it does come to grief.
Aggression has become a dirty word, so we use different phrases like 'imposes himself on the contest', 'attacks the footy' 'strong in the contest' 'strong tackler', 'hunts the footy', 'competitive' but they're all products of aggression in my book - clearly not a popular book though.

Aggression probably should be a dirty word in most realms of life, but its a wonderful trait if it's controlled aggression on the footy field. It's a natural trait we all have in us, designed to help us in physical battles, but some can access and control it much more easily than others and it gives them a big advantage in a physical contest.

Hopefully Sier has it in him, but at the moment its why he is playing VFL rather than being a star. It's why WHE, who appears to have it all, is just a role player. It's why Shaz... etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back