List Mgmt. Trade & Free Agency talk Pt 8

Remove this Banner Ad

It's interesting we currently have 9 picks in the draft but we want to trade up into the better picks at the top end of the draft. To do that people are suggesting we trade with sides like Carlton Brisbane Suns & Adelaide that are looking to draft father/son or academy selections. Now those clubs don't necessarily need to trade before the draft and could simply wait until the draft to make deals once bids are placed. That would mean that we would need to have 9 list vacancies heading into the draft to be able to carry all our picks into the draft for live trading at the draft.

It's interesting we currently have 9 picks in the draft but we want to trade up into the better picks at the top end of the draft. To do that people are suggesting we trade with sides like Carlton Brisbane Suns & Adelaide that are looking to draft father/son or academy selections. Now those clubs don't necessarily need to trade before the draft and could simply wait until the draft to make deals once bids are placed. That would mean that we would need to have 9 list vacancies heading into the draft to be able to carry all our picks into the draft for live trading at the draft.
I can cull 9 with my eyes closed. Aren't we 2 short of a full list anyway so only need 7. Piece of cake.

Clubs won’t leave it until draft night to accumulate their points … too risky. So we will be trading picks before the draft and I’d imagine based on Baker/Rioli/Graham rumours and delistings/retirements we will enter the draft with about 7-picks. 5 under 30 and a couple of speculative ones beyond that we will only use if a player we rate is still on the board.

We will go from 5th oldest to 5th youngest list in the off-season, which is what needs to happen.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I can cull 9 with my eyes closed. Aren't we 2 short of a full list anyway so only need 7. Piece of cake.
I can do the same.

Clubs won’t leave it until draft night to accumulate their points … too risky. So we will be trading picks before the draft and I’d imagine based on Baker/Rioli/Graham rumours and delistings/retirements we will enter the draft with about 7-picks. 5 under 30 and a couple of speculative ones beyond that we will only use if a player we rate is still on the board.

We will go from 5th oldest to 5th youngest list in the off-season, which is what needs to happen.

The point is that they can especially if come trade period they believe that they may be able to get their F/S or Academy kids after their first pick in the draft, so I don't believe that it is a guarantee that we will get those picks off opposition clubs that a lot seem to think we'll just walk in and get because we hold a raft of latter round picks.

The point is that they can especially if come trade period they believe that they may be able to get their F/S or Academy kids after their first pick in the draft, so I don't believe that it is a guarantee that we will get those picks off opposition clubs that a lot seem to think we'll just walk in and get because we hold a raft of latter round picks.
Brisbane will have to. They aren't getting under an Ashcroft bid. Even Blues 2nd rounder if they suck this year will be available.

Big chance Baker is gone, like 95%. :(
We are always better off keeping Baker rather than losing him.

But as long as we get a very good deal for our VC then it's not a disaster.

If we accept a token pick then the club is being negligent and complacent. No other club would let their VC go for a token pick.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We are always better off keeping Baker rather than losing him.

But as long as we get a very good deal for our VC then it's not a disaster.

If we accept a token pick then the club is being negligent and complacent. No other club would let their VC go for a token pick.
Agreed. Applies to Short as well ;)

We wont take more than 5 in the draft

I assume Grimes is going to retire. That’s one list spot.

Naismith retire also. That’s two spots.

Baler to the west. That’s three spots.

Graham or Rioli out via FA/trade. I think at least one will go. That’s four spots.

I hope both Macca and Pickett and encouraged into retirement. I fear one or both will be retained which is a mistake. Let’s say one goes. Thats five spots.

Not sure on retirement plans of Dusty..? Maybe he remains.

Delistings? : Colina. That’s six spots. Cumberland 50/50… his future may depend on decisions on other older players and his performance remainder of year.

If Prestia gets through the remainder of the season largely unscathed he’ll get a one year deal which I’d be supportive of.

So we will have 6-8 list spots.

I really really hope they move on Macca and Pickett. If Prestia and Martin go on this is essential. Otherwise we roll into 2025 as one of the oldest lists yet again, which is just lunacy given Macca and Pickett don’t offer much on a regular basis (notwithstanding they were pretty good last night - but that’s very much the exception to the rule).

Colina doesn’t count as a list spot does he? Thought we got dispensation to keep him on the Cat B list?

Yeah, but you can't delist them and take an extra pick in the draft. Its 42 + 2 Cat B rookies. They're separate.
It's 44 total listed players, they changed it a few years back during Covid. Prior to that Cat B rookies were outside the list, but now they are part of it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back