Opinion Ty Zantuck’s mother says years of painkilling injections has ruined his life

Remove this Banner Ad

I remember when he graffitied the changerooms and the club told him to go paint it and then he ****ed that up too and the club had to pay for a painter to come do it properly.

If he thinks he has a case go ahead and take the doc to court. They have insurance for this kind of thing.

It's a shame his back is rooted but I don't have much sympathy for *******s.

you gotta feel for the bloke , id recommend the club throw 1mn of their cash reserves into a provident fund (Invested wisely) that grants can be made to support cases like this . RFC if you're reading this , action it .

We do have a fund administered by the Club and the PPA. Funds raised by the Tommy Hafey Club go into it. Was used to assist in appropriate cases, like Terry Smith.

Haere Ra

We do have a fund administered by the Club and the PPA. Funds raised by the Tommy Hafey Club go into it. Was used to assist in appropriate cases, like Terry Smith.

Haere Ra
Am I reading too much into your statement?

I remember when he graffitied the changerooms and the club told him to go paint it and then he ****** that up too and the club had to pay for a painter to come do it properly.

If he thinks he has a case go ahead and take the doc to court. They have insurance for this kind of thing.

It's a shame his back is rooted but I don't have much sympathy for *******s.
Agree take it court, we have insurance if he claims malpractice,or we could just use the donate the spreadsheet excuse and get the number 1 draft pick as a penalty

Haere Ra

Am I reading too much into your statement?

KT normally chooses his words carefully and I got the same impression. Don't recall the Terry Smith case, which one was that?

Not sure how I feel on this one

Feel sorry for the bloke but I find it interesting that it says he went on to play local footy as an income witch would of definitely not helped the issues with his back when he could of found more suitable work

And he was obviously able to perform at a level which would have the local club wanting to pay that money. Certainly the name alone wont sell too many beers.

Might be one of those situations where sitting down for long periods is worse than moving around. I hope he was advised well as to whether the money received for playing wont be dwarfed by ensuing medical bills from these games of football.

Awful it's happened to him, quite simply the afl, aflpa, Richmond and essendon still have a duty of care to him, we talk about men's health and seeking help when we really need it, to me he's seeking help and no one is really helping him. I know it's not as black and white as that, but it could be as simple as seeing what jobs are open in the industry and helping him get a permanent income.

More to this story than the back pain - this is actually about the emotional and mental trauma surrounding his delisting and struggling to adjust to life after footy.

If he has resorted to playing local footy for money the issue is not primarily back pain, as there are careers and jobs that are “easy enough” to pursue that are much better for anyone with significant spinal damage than local footy. The true problem is that he obviously didn’t know how/what to do with himself.

Not denying that he has suffered immense pain and injury due to AFL footy, but the way that story reads it’s definitely a case of bigger underlying issues.

Another sad story either way, hopefully one that doesn’t have a sad ending.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I met Angus Graham's old man a year or two ago. He mentioned that Angus' body was rooted from being forced to play injured. Can't remember if it was knee or back or what. He wasn't having a whinge or anything, just stated it as a fact.
That wasn't too long ago, hopefully the club is well past those days now.

Did you hear the interview yesterday on SEN?

His lawyer/manager said they (Aflpa) weren’t helping him, then channel AFL trotted out ex hawk Russell greene who said the AFLPA where fantastic in their assistance to old players, so who do you believe the ambulance chaser or the AFL , hard hard choice.

Yes there is a duty of care on the tigers, but Essendon and the afl need to be lumped in it, or did his back ailment magically disappear after he went to Essendon only to reappear later.

His back was stuffed at Richmond but the injury was exacerbated at drug land,
which part of that contradicts my comment about the players association being very good at caring for past players? i was not apportioning any blame.

I met Angus Graham's old man a year or two ago. He mentioned that Angus' body was rooted from being forced to play injured. Can't remember if it was knee or back or what. He wasn't having a whinge or anything, just stated it as a fact.

apparently he has full body cramps when using the photocopier at work

Hopefully he can get himself right one way or another.

I have always thought that painkilling injections are borderline performance enhancing drugs, in the sense that without them, there would be no performance to be had.

Nothing good ever comes from masking the pain of an injury.

all the best Ty.

Sat next to a player at the sponsor dinner who said he needed injections to be able to walk after half time of the 1st Collingwood game this season, having played 2 games in 4 days. It definately still happens just look at how the media treat injured blokes who play injured in finals as heros. But as soon as they finish the same media 'omg they forced him to play injured'

More to this story than the back pain - this is actually about the emotional and mental trauma surrounding his delisting and struggling to adjust to life after footy.

If he has resorted to playing local footy for money the issue is not primarily back pain, as there are careers and jobs that are “easy enough” to pursue that are much better for anyone with significant spinal damage than local footy. The true problem is that he obviously didn’t know how/what to do with himself.

Not denying that he has suffered immense pain and injury due to AFL footy, but the way that story reads it’s definitely a case of bigger underlying issues.

Another sad story either way, hopefully one that doesn’t have a sad ending.

A main reason why it's good that dimma makes everyone have something outside of footy, never know when your time will be up, but you really can't blame footy for not getting a job post footy.

The crows have a lot to answer for! Angus was a potential Wayne Carey, why they played him injured has me furious!

Hopefully he can get himself right one way or another.

I have always thought that painkilling injections are borderline performance enhancing drugs, in the sense that without them, there would be no performance to be had.

Nothing good ever comes from masking the pain of an injury.

all the best Ty.
Been saying this for years mate.

Been saying this for years mate.

If the rule was oral pain killing medication only I wonder how that would change player management and how many more games will players miss ?

And is that of greater concern to the AFL with the "brand"of the game?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back