Preview u23 game - Port vs Crows

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 2, 2012
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Thebby Oval - Saturday 29 Feb - Midday.

Well it’s that time of year again. The second annual traditional trial game against the Adelaide Parkland Raiders. Except this preseason game comes with a twist, all players must bring their birth certificates and register for the u23 game before first bounce. Not really, although the teams haven’t been named I am guessing the u23 definition will be quite broad and I expect to see the likes of Watts, Sutcliffe and maybe even THE SACK get a run. Essentially I am predicting the lineups to be a Maggies vs Crows reserves game.

What I would like to see on Saturday:

• Not sure if george iadies will play, was taken off at ¾ time last week as a bit of a precautionary measure it seems, as it was his first game in 18 months. He probably showed enough to get a game in the Ansett Cup match 2 so maybe they won’t want to risk him playing twice in two weeks if he is in any way sore. But would be great if he does play and starts to stick a few of those grabs he flies for.
  • Dylan Williams was the Port draft pick who seemed like he had the biggest wraps on draft night out of the 4 we selected. Three goals in the internal trial hasn’t done anything to temper those expectations. The talk is he is a bit behind the 8ball regarding fitness which probably cost him a spot last week, so it will be exciting to see what he can do on Saturday.
  • Speaking of 8balls, you would expect Wattsy to get a run this week. After a tumultuous 2018 offseason (all his own doing by the way) it looked like the penny had finally dopped for old Jacky boy only to have his season wrecked in round 2. Hopefully he still has last years mindset and he can dominate on the weekend and be back out there for the Power in round 1. We need all the good ball users we can find.
  • Haven’t heard any updates on Bergman and Mead, again any doubt and you would imagine they wont play, so will be disappointing if that is the case.
  • Atley and Drew need big games, especially the former. I was big on him early days but last year it looked like he had completely forgotten how to execute a kick. It was this game last year Willy Drew announced himself and was BOG in the inside mid position. Unfortunately when he was then selected in the season proper for the power he was playing outside mid positions which was ridiculous.
  • Sam Hayes is another who will be interesting to have a good look at. Not sure whether Ladhams is playing and I think it would be good for Hayes to have to lead the ruck for the first time since he was drafted. Talk again that he was another who is struggling a bit in the running. Has shown glimpses but now should be looking to start putting some consistent footy together.
  • A PAFC 1820 Beanie

1582781112813.png

PORT ADELAIDE’S Under 23 trial game against the Crows will be streamed live from Thebarton Oval this Saturday afternoon.
Check out Port Adelaide’s youngest talent out on the field before the 2020 AFL Premiership season gets underway.
The stream will be broadcast live from 11.50am ACDT on portadelaidefc.com.au and the Official Port Adelaide App.

Mitch probably needs a little game time if it’s just a little soreness/tightness maybe a half or 3 quarters?

Disappointing to still not get a look at Bergman but I'm excited for this.

Can't wait to see Mead and Williams in action, and Buzza and Marshall have a chance at redemption after not impressing in their other pre-season game (intra & bris).

Also looking forward to see the development of Drew, Grundy and Garner, three guys who could be our future.

Ebert? Maybe he is on the outer!

Good to see Mead.

I’m pretty sure the Broadbent got a run last year. I think it’s more for on field leadership.... but why play a first choice senior player??? Unless, he isn’t first choice anymore.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Surprised Ladhams is playing tbh. I'd prefer he plays against the Bullies with Lycett.

We have named a squad of 28

McHenry Frampton Himmelberg
Crocker Fogarty Keays
Gallucci Poholke Seedsman
Hamill Hartigan Kelly
Macasey Butts Sholl

Strachan
Jones
Wilson

Inter -Gollant,O’Connor, Schoenberg, Davis, Macpherson, Worrell
Top ups
Arnold
Marini
Matthews
Merrett

We have named a squad of 28

McHenry Frampton Himmelberg
Crocker Fogarty Keays
Gallucci Poholke Seedsman
Hamill Hartigan Kelly
Macasey Butts Sholl

Strachan
Jones
Wilson

Inter -Gollant,O’Connor, Schoenberg, Davis, Macpherson, Worrell
Top ups
Arnold
Marini
Matthews
Merrett

Decent under 23 forward line.

Our forward line could be hard to handle for them. Marshall buzza hayes as talls and cox Williams Woodcock could all give them hell, also mead Farrell and Burgoyne if playing forward.
That’s a lot of weapons.

our Backline is very inexperienced and very very shallow though.

Drew atley Patmore really need to dominate the midfield like they could because our midfield gets a bit shallow after them.

amazing that we’re fielding a competitive side without rozee duursma butters spp Georgiades and Bergman.

Imagine our full side.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back