UEFA EURO 2024 (Group Stage) - On Optus Sport

Remove this Banner Ad

jennifer lawrence ok GIF

Forgot we're not allowed to be critical of players from certain teams. Such a snowflake, should have expected that from a tory
What are you upset about? You can be critical of who you like and everyone can laugh.

What you consider a howler is vastly different to what I consider a howler.

Even if it was Maguire in that play I'd never call it a howler.

Not reading anything about Rice and howler in the same sentence.

Dunk has been absolutely fine in his previous International games so to suggest a single play means he's not international level is ridiculous.

Damn you for making me agree with Brades but Dunk has not proven himself at international level. He's played a few intermittent friendly games when better players have not been available. He wasn't selected in the Euro 2020 or WC 2022 squads.

He had a 5m start on Lukaku but only got to the ball just before him. He took a swing at the ball then fell over. It allowed Lukaku time to pick a pass. It's was a bread and butter situation for a CB and Dunk should have dealt with it.

Pickford and Dunk with massive howlers for Belgium's goals. Bellingham missed two easy opportunities before he scored late. Mainoo's composure on the ball is amazing for his age. Southgate will probably pick Henderson in the Euros squad instead.
To be honest, I just wasn't generally impressed with any aspect of the performance. There were a few good runs from Foden and Bowen, but we really struggled to break Belgium down. Even Bellingham (and I suspect I'll get stick for this, but I don't care) underwhelmed. I'll concede that we're missing players who might prove key at the Euros, but all that shows is that we don't have a lot of depth.

Personally don't rate Mainoo, think he's decent at the moment but he's not threatening with the ball. As old and slow as Henderson is, he threatens with the ball more from deep. Mainoo is just a shuffler and does get beaten esily in the midfield and does have a habit of losing possession more easily than others. I'm sure I'll get shouted down by the regulars because a critical opinion is not allowed.
He's had a good start to his career imo, but the hype around him doing pretty standard things is ridiculous.

At this point, I think the friendlies haven't taught us anything we didn't already know. Maguire is a liability. Without Kane we'll struggle for goals. Southgate will still pick Maguire ahead of a number of better choices.

At this point, I think the friendlies haven't taught us anything we didn't already know. Maguire is a liability. Without Kane we'll struggle for goals. Southgate will still pick Maguire ahead of a number of better choices.

Konsa being reliable at RB and CB at this level was new information.
Mainoo is ready and probably should be in the starting line up.
England rely on Rice.

Things we already knew -

Southgate is tactically inept. Static 4-2-3-1 when the top coaches are pushing a FB into midfield.

Pickford is a hoofer. His howler for Belgium's first goal exemplified his deficiencies with the ball at his feet.

He's had a good start to his career imo, but the hype around him doing pretty standard things is ridiculous.

Yeah, I wonder what you were saying when Foden was doing pretty standard things when he was 18 and the media and your supporters were freaking out?

Mainoo is an exciting prospect, there is really no need to let us know that you aren’t that impressed by him.

Last edited:
Starting Stones for two friendlies in 3 days, and not giving Branthwaite a minute is prime Southgate *******tery.
As Southgate pointed out a few countries did the same thing. So close to Euros he maybe wanted to continue to play the certain starters

Yeah, I wonder what you were saying when Foden was doing pretty standard things when he was 18 and the media and your supporters were freaking out?

Mainoo is an exciting prospect, there is really no need to let us know that you aren’t that impressed by him.
Why don't you check and let me know.

As Southgate pointed out a few countries did the same thing. So close to Euros he maybe wanted to continue to play the certain starters
We've been managing Stones fitness all season. Just because Van Dijk plays twice in a few days doesn't mean Stones should.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We've been managing Stones fitness all season. Just because Van Dijk plays twice in a few days doesn't mean Stones should.
He hadn’t played for two weeks so Southgate thought he could handle it.

Nah. I’m good.
Thought as much.

As I said he's had a promising start to his career. Have seen him to some good things, and some not so good.

I would imagine that United supporters are pleased with his progress.

Not sure what Foden had to do with anything.

Missed one game and played against Pool on the 10th. Big deal
I'm sure its not a big deal to you.

But it makes your "he can start two friendlies in three says because he hasn't played in two weeks" a bit of a stupid one.

I'm sure its not a big deal to you.

But it makes your "he can start two friendlies in three says because he hasn't played in two weeks" a bit of a stupid one.
Why? He means he had a fair bit of rest prior. Just bad luck

Remove this Banner Ad

Back