UFC 127: Penn vs. Fitch (Feb 27 2011; Acer Arena, Sydney)

Remove this Banner Ad

Rivera is doing a decent job of trying to hype the fight up. Another video here. The Tale of Count Bisping:

[YOUTUBE]dLTniiY8BVc[/YOUTUBE]

Predictions time.

Main card
Welterweight bout: BJ Penn vs Jon Fitch - no idea how this will play out, BJ struggled to stuff the takedowns of GSP and Edgar but both also were outlanding him on the feet, Fitch won't be doing that. Fitch has also gone on a vegetarian diet for this fight and was about 10 pounds lighter than what he'd normally in training so the size advantage won't be what it would have been 12 months ago, if it goes to the judges Fitch will probably have his hand raised but I'll predict that BJ can stop him before that
Middleweight bout: Michael Bisping vs Jorge Rivera - Bisping will take Rivera apart, probably will even finish him
Lightweight bout: George Sotiropoulos vs Dennis Siver - Sots via armbar in the first
Welterweight bout: Chris Lytle vs Brian Ebersole - Lytle by TKO
Middleweight bout: Kyle Noke vs Chris Camozzi - Camozzi by decision, suspect he'll keep Noke on his back and avoid the subs

Prelims
Lightweight bout: Ross Pearson vs Spencer Fisher - decision
Light Heavyweight bout: James Te Huna vs Alexander Gustafsson - TKO, Gustafsson's got some skills
Middleweight bout: Nick Ring vs Riki Fukuda - not sure here, Ring is coming off surgery and wasn't too active before that but it's always risky backing a Japanese fighter in the UFC
Heavyweight bout: Mark Hunt vs Chris Tuchscherer - just hoping with this prediction, Tuchscherer will probably blanket him and get a keylock or kimura but here's hoping Hunt lights him up
Lightweight bout: Maciej Jewtuszko vs Curt Warburton - TKO
Light Heavyweight bout: Anthony Perosh vs Tom Blackledge - no idea, guessing Perosh by sub but him losing wouldn't surprise me either
Featherweight bout: Tiequan Zhang vs Jason Reinhardt - Zhang by decision

I know people from the Ebersole camp are very confindent he'll get the business done against Lytle, personally I think it's false bravado. Personally I like to see him break out the cart wheel heel kick in the fight and win it..

Main card

Welterweight bout: BJ Penn vs Jon Fitch - Fitch to grind out another decision. BJ's likely to make this a battle, but I just can't see him stopping Fitch's takedowns for long enough to win.

Middleweight bout: Michael Bisping vs Jorge Rivera - Rivera's got a shot in this one. Bisping has been wobbled a couple of times since his dramatic KO to Henderson (Kang and Akiyama) and Rivera's power is one of his best assets. I think Bisping will play it safe though and pick up a decision.

Lightweight bout: George Sotiropoulos vs Dennis Siver - Picking the upset. George's 7-0 record in the UFC is impressive, but he's not faced a striker anywhere near the level of Siver before. I think this ends suddenly in the 2nd with Siver scoring a KO.

Welterweight bout: Chris Lytle vs Brian Ebersole - Lytle will likely spend some time on his back in this one as Ebersole's wrestling is solid, but I think he picks up the sub in the 2nd.

Middleweight bout: Kyle Noke vs Chris Camozzi - Noke should be able to pick up the win in this one. Camozzi's greatest attribute appears to be his heart and I think Kyle's skill set is much more rounded so he'll take a decision.

Prelims

Lightweight bout: Ross Pearson vs Spencer Fisher - Should be a fun, stand up war. No confidence with this pick at all, but I'll take a hungry Ross to score a decision win .

Light Heavyweight bout: James Te Huna vs Alexander Gustafsson - Alex is the real deal and I think he'll run right through Te Huna. KO in the 1st.

Middleweight bout: Nick Ring vs Riki Fukuda - No idea on Fukuda, so I'll take Ring by decision.

Heavyweight bout: Mark Hunt vs Chris Tuchscherer - Would love to see Hunt pick up a win here, but think Tuchscherer takes him down, wears on him and eventually subs him in the 3rd.

Lightweight bout: Maciej Jewtuszko vs Curt Warburton - Liked the look of Warburton against Fisher at 120 and if he's got his cardio sorted, I think he can do damage at 155. Jewtuszko is coming of a great win against Njokuani, but I think Warburton can take him down often enough to score a decision.

Light Heavyweight bout: Anthony Perosh vs Tom Blackledge - No idea on Blackledge, but if he's any good at all he should be able to take out Perosh. Hoping Anthony can take him down and finally pick up a UFC win though.

Featherweight bout: Tiequan Zhang vs Jason Reinhardt - Zhang by sub.

Main card
Welterweight bout: BJ Penn vs Jon Fitch - Don't know here.. Fitch could easily bore BJ to sleep.

Middleweight bout: Michael Bisping vs Jorge Rivera - I hate Bisping but Jorge is not a worthy opponent.

Lightweight bout: George Sotiropoulos vs Dennis Siver - Siver saying he is going to sub Sots... lulz - if he tries to take it anywhere near the ground he's asking to lose. George by RNC

Welterweight bout: Chris Lytle vs Brian Ebersole - Lytle by TKO. Dont know much about ebersole other than the videos posted here.. Good chance for him to boost his career

Middleweight bout: Kyle Noke vs Chris Camozzi - Noke is a decision. This isn't worthy of being on a main card.

Prelims
Lightweight bout: Ross Pearson vs Spencer Fisher - Early KO

Light Heavyweight bout: James Te Huna vs Alexander Gustafsson - Te Huna hasn't really faced anybody close to the level of what Gustafsson has faced so gonna have to go with the Sweed

Middleweight bout: Nick Ring vs Riki Fukuda - Not too sure. but like Ross, I don't feel comfortable backing a Jap in the Octagon :D

Heavyweight bout: Mark Hunt vs Chris Tuchscherer - Hunts past it. He must still be under contract otherwise UFC wouldn't be fighting him... surely..

Lightweight bout: Maciej Jewtuszko vs Curt Warburton - NFI

Light Heavyweight bout: Anthony Perosh vs Tom Blackledge - NFI

Featherweight bout: Tiequan Zhang vs Jason Reinhardt - NFI

http://www.mmafighting.com/2011/02/21/george-sotiropoulos-fine-with-his-place-in-the-ufc-lightweight-d/

Interview with George. Interesting comment at the end regarding the change in government in Victoria and the UFC seemingly giving up here.

http://www.mmafighting.com/2011/02/...alks-ufc-127-international-event-schedule-fo/

Marshall Zelaznik sounds more positive. He also said they'll consider running a show at Docklands after the success of ticket sales for 129 in Toronto.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That is a very positive sounding interview from Zelaznik. Says they are considering 2 shows a year in Australia, and said even 4 shows would do well here (not going to happen, but that is the popularity that UFC has here).

http://www.mmafighting.com/2011/02/...alks-ufc-127-international-event-schedule-fo/

Marshall Zelaznik sounds more positive. He also said they'll consider running a show at Docklands after the success of ticket sales for 129 in Toronto.

Awesome, glad my prediction is looking ok ;)

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...-life-at-ufc-127/story-e6frexni-1226010806323

Take the Daily Telegraph's UFC quiz. I got 19/20, I didn't get all 20 because they don't have the correct answer for one question. See if you can work out which question it is.

20/20

Toughest questions were how many lightweight champs (5), Rampages movie Midnight Meat Train. I also had trouble with picking Mark Coleman as first HW champ, seemed stupid to question it in hindsight.

I figure Dana White owning boxing gyms in Las Vegas is stretching the truth, but I have no idea. Not sure what the wrong one is if its not that.

Edit; How could I think Caol Uno was LW champ, but yeah I was originally looking for 4 champs, totally forgot about Pulver :eek:

20/20. There wasn't an option for 4 LW champs. Pulver, Sherk, BJ, Edgar was what I had in my head. Went 5 and that was apparently correct.

Main card
Welterweight bout: BJ Penn vs Jon Fitch - I'd love to see BJ win, and he might, but I think Fitch is a good chance of stopping BJ.
Middleweight bout: Michael Bisping vs Jorge Rivera - Jorge Rivera, I was on Bisping up until recently, I think Rivera has an excellent game plan in place and has the skill set to give Bisping the fits. I think Bisping will eat a couple of punches and take it to the ground where he is submitted, and everyone will happy Rivera used his BJJ for once.
Lightweight bout: George Sotiropoulos vs Dennis Siver - George by ground domination, as long as George can get this fight to the ground he has no problems.
Welterweight bout: Chris Lytle vs Brian Ebersole - Going for another upset here, I think if Lytle wins it will be by submission, but I think Ebersole controls this fight from the get go and wins via tko.
Middleweight bout: Kyle Noke vs Chris Camozzi - Noke in a very tough fight with a late finish.

Prelims
Lightweight bout: Ross Pearson vs Spencer Fisher - Fisher in a tko
Light Heavyweight bout: James Te Huna vs Alexander Gustafsson - Potential FOTN, Gustafsson is a super classy fighter who was unlucky to get Phil Davis so early in his UFC career. If Te Huna's shoulder holds out and he can win he deserves a massive push.
Middleweight bout: Nick Ring vs Riki Fukuda - As much as I am dislike JMMA I dislike Nick Ring's knee. Ring could take it, but I think Fukuda picks up a decision win.
Heavyweight bout: Mark Hunt vs Chris Tuchscherer - One of the more solid locks of the night. If it goes to the ground Hunt loses.
Lightweight bout: Maciej Jewtuszko vs Curt Warburton - I am expecting the unpronounceable Polish prospect to prove he is for real.
Light Heavyweight bout: Anthony Perosh vs Tom Blackledge - Close fight, but I think the home crowd brings Perosh home for a decision.
Featherweight bout: Tiequan Zhang vs Jason Reinhardt - Largely a guess, I didn't completely dislike the Mongolian Wolf at 155, if he makes 145 comfortably he should win via decision.

Main card
Welterweight bout: BJ Penn vs Jon Fitch - I just think Fitch's wrestling will be enough to get him a decision.
Middleweight bout: Michael Bisping vs Jorge Rivera - Bisping will take it to the ground and dominate there, winning by decision.
Lightweight bout: George Sotiropoulos vs Dennis Siver - George will get Siver down and will finish him. RNC in the 2nd.
Welterweight bout: Chris Lytle vs Brian Ebersole - Lytle by TKO.
Middleweight bout: Kyle Noke vs Chris Camozzi - Noke by decision.

Prelims
Lightweight bout: Ross Pearson vs Spencer Fisher - Pearson by TKO.
Light Heavyweight bout: James Te Huna vs Alexander Gustafsson - Gustafsson wins by sub.
Middleweight bout: Nick Ring vs Riki Fukuda - Hopefully Fukuda.
Heavyweight bout: Mark Hunt vs Chris Tuchscherer - Tuchscherer by decision.
Lightweight bout: Maciej Jewtuszko vs Curt Warburton - I was impressed with Warburton when last I saw him, so I'll pick him by decision here.

Main card
Welterweight bout: BJ Penn vs Jon Fitch - Fitch to make a statement by finishing a tired Penn with a RNC in the 3rd after grinding him down for the first 2 rounds.
Middleweight bout: Michael Bisping vs Jorge Rivera - Bisping by TKO ground n pound.
Lightweight bout: George Sotiropoulos vs Dennis Siver - George by gogoplata from the top whenever he wants.
Welterweight bout: Chris Lytle vs Brian Ebersole - Lytle by TKO. His conditioning is far too good.
Middleweight bout: Kyle Noke vs Chris Camozzi - Tough one to pick. Both guys are at the same level but I think the crowd will help Noke get a decision.

Prelims
Lightweight bout: Ross Pearson vs Spencer Fisher - Pearson by decision. Should be a cracking fight on the feet.
Light Heavyweight bout: James Te Huna vs Alexander Gustafsson - Gustafsson by sub.
Middleweight bout: Nick Ring vs Riki Fukuda - I really want to see what a fit and healthy Nick Ring is capable of. His highlights on youtube show why he was the favourite to win TUF. TKO.
Heavyweight bout: Mark Hunt vs Chris Tuchscherer - Decision.
Lightweight bout: Maciej Jewtuszko vs Curt Warburton - Just looked up Jewtuszko and he's got huge head.
Light Heavyweight bout: Anthony Perosh vs Tom Blackledge - Decision in front of the home crowd.
Featherweight bout: Tiequan Zhang vs Jason Reinhardt - Reinhardt has 16 submission wins with 8 by armbar. Tie Quan will be ready for it.

Fairly sure I just ran into Kenny Florian at the top of end of Bourke Street.
Smacked him on the chin and he ran away crying, naturally. Little girl.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back