MMA-UFC UFC 225 - Whittaker v Romero

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Its almost time, Bobby to defend the title he sort of didn't really win against the guy he already beat...

Pretty stacked card overall, solid aussie flavour, ill be purchasing this one 100% June 10th Aussie time

Middleweight Robert Whittaker (c) vs. Yoel Romero [a]
Welterweight Rafael dos Anjos vs. Colby Covington https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UFC_225#cite_note-9
Heavyweight Alistair Overeem vs. Curtis Blaydes
Heavyweight Andrei Arlovski vs. Tai Tuivasa
Welterweight CM Punk vs. Mike Jackson
Women's Featherweight Holly Holm vs. Megan Anderson
Featherweight Ricardo Lamas vs. Mirsad Bektić
Flyweight Joseph Benavidez vs. Sergio Pettis
Lightweight Clay Guida vs. Bobby Green
Women's Strawweight Cláudia Gadelha vs. Carla Esparza
Light Heavyweight Rashad Evans vs. Anthony Smith
Heavyweight Rashad Coulter vs. Chris de la Rocha
Featherweight Mike Santiago vs. Dan Ige

This is why I watch MMA!

Anybody else secretly want Yoel to win after hearing his story on The Rogan podcast? I kinda do...

Holm vs Anderson, Tuivasa getting his shot at a gatekeeper?, Colby to fade to black after Dos Anjos Murks him. This card has so many tales to tell

This is why I watch MMA!

Anybody else secretly want Yoel to win after hearing his story on The Rogan podcast? I kinda do...

Holm vs Anderson, Tuivasa getting his shot at a gatekeeper?, Colby to fade to black after Dos Anjos Murks him. This card has so many tales to tell
No way! Although I haven't watched the Rogan podcast

Hypothetical time.

Whittaker gets another injury & is forced to pull out.

What happens?
Romero vs Gastelum for the interim or the undisputed?

Got cliffs of his story?
Basically in Cuba when you start out wrestling you get hardly any food and sub standard accommodation ext.

But the higher up the rankings you go the more food, better food and better living conditions you get.

Basically a story of a poor, tough upbringing where wrestling was his way out

This is why I watch MMA!

Hell no. Wanting Whittaker to begin/continue a reign of dominance.. Good for us Aussie's.
May the best man win, though.

Whittaker v. Romero
  • Think this fight goes pretty similarly to Rd 3,4,5 of the first fight. I think a guy as crisp as Rob on the feet with great TDD is Yoel's weakness. I don't see what Yoel can bring other than a swing and hope.

Dos Anjos v. Covington
  • As much as he gives me the shits, I see Colby grapplef**king RDA. He's a strong guy and deceptively big.

Holm
v. Anderson
  • Holm. Anderson hasn't done a thing yet. Assuming anything other than a Holm win while not impossible, is insulting.

Arlovski v. Tuivasa
  • Arlovski is a legend. He's an athlete. I respect the crap out of him for still being top tier... but... Tai will find that chin and Andrei will go to sleep.

Punk v. Jackson
  • Any real guess would be just that... a guess. Not much to go on. Someone's 0 has to go. Most amateur male fight in UFC history.

Overeem v. Blades
  • Overeem is a safe bet against 90% of the HW division, but Blades won't stand and bang, he is strong as an ox and a smart kid. Might not be the most exciting fight, but I could see a clear-cut 30-27.

Gadelha
v. Esparza
  • Although Esparza has improved I just think she's a rung below those top few. Genuinely think Gadelha runs through her.

Lamas v. Bektic
  • This one isn't so much I think Bektic wins, it's more I hope Bektic wins. Lamas will never be champ, he just doesn't have that in him, we've seen his ceiling so a win here doesn't excite me.

Coulter
v. De La Rocha
  • I have no idea how this fight made it on this card honestly, especially above 3/4 below. I mean these guys are genuinely just not good fighters. They would not have made it to the UFC in any other division. It is a typical display of how bad this division is. Coulter by who gives a s**t.

Evans v. Smith
  • Smith should take this, and he should take it fairly easily. Rashad is so gun-shy these days I don't see him fighting much longer.

Benavidez v. Pettis
  • I just really don't think mini Pettis is that much chop just yet, he's young so hopefully that changes but I'll take Benavidez at this stage.

Guida v. Oliviera
  • Guida is still a touch match up for the lower rung of the top group at FW. The pace he puts on is still tremendous, and he has that veteran savvy going on lately too. He's won 2 straight and let's not forget, HE DROPPED ORTEGA.

Santiago v. Ige
  • Don't rate either guy too much but if Santiago keeps it standing he wins. Ige has some shocking striking defence. Gets touched so easily on the feet.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is why I watch MMA!

No
Screw the drug chsat

Am I the only person who didn't realise until Saturday (watching the PPV ad) that Dos Anjos v Covington is for the interim title? When did that happen... And why? Is Tyron injured?
Tyron was. Had shoulder surgery a while back for a labrum? He said the other week he wants a fight in August.

I feel like this was an opportunity to one, make Tyron fight the winner and not try to manufacture a money fight (like he was with Diaz) and two, just have an extra title fight on that previous card in Brazil (it got moved due to the rumoured security concerns surrounding Colby)

Last edited:
To think Whittaker won the first fight with a torn medial? ****** up knee & Yoel popped for steroids shows how big of a killer the guy is.

Hes the better fighter, but Yoel is always in it with that knockout power.

I think Yoel may try to wrestle.
good. The more worn out he is in the 1st 2 rounds the better for Rob. People forget how hard it is for fighters over 40 to go 5 rounds. Even the greats like Randy Couture, Anderson Silva struggle to fight that long. Romero with all of that muscle hes carrying around against a 26 year old opponent needs to finish it before the 4th, cos his cardio will be shot to pieces in the championship rounds.

I’m so ******* excited.

I’m torn on the Rob v Yoel fight, its make or break for these two. If Rob wins then Yoel is done in my opinion, he won’t get another shot easily having lost both, however if Yoel wins then we get the trifecta a couple of months later. I’m a bit worried about Rob not getting tagged once in this as by the end of this fight as he will have gone up to 10 rounds with Romero.

Got a bad feeling Colby is going to blanket his way to a victory as well.

This makes me laugh though.
0542A3E0-787B-43AA-9AF9-6C8F11678631.png

Remove this Banner Ad

Back