Umpires ... just get out of the way

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 21, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Norwood
We are told time and again there is no excuse whatsoever for a player making contact with an umpire. Last week we saw umpires loitering around behind the Hawks banner knowing full well the players were running out on the ground. Puopolo sprints through the banner at full speed and collides with one of them, causing him to miss matches. This week we see Breust on the ground after copping a whack, and an umpire runs straight through him.

Where is the censure for these umpires? If it was an umpire on the ground and a player running through him, there would be lengthy suspensions. Amazing how they can see a tiggy touchwood free or a drop of blood from 50 metres away but cannot see a player on the ground right in front of them.

The Puopolo thing is avoidable by having the banner at another angle away from the middle of the ground.

The Breust thing was an accident.
When players bump umpires they cop fines as the AFL doesn't believe in accidents.

AFL has already said the umpire was warming up in the wrong spot, not sure how it was the Banner holders fault

We are told time and again there is no excuse whatsoever for a player making contact with an umpire. Last week we saw umpires loitering around behind the Hawks banner knowing full well the players were running out on the ground. Puopolo sprints through the banner at full speed and collides with one of them, causing him to miss matches. This week we see Breust on the ground after copping a whack, and an umpire runs straight through him.

Where is the censure for these umpires? If it was an umpire on the ground and a player running through him, there would be lengthy suspensions. Amazing how they can see a tiggy touchwood free or a drop of blood from 50 metres away but cannot see a player on the ground right in front of them.

No there would not be suspensions. Malceski ran into an umpire and knocked him out last season. The umpire was out for 2 more weeks. Malceski didn't even get a please explain. If it have have been a player he would have got 3 weeks.

The umpire that ran into Poopolo was a first year umpire that has not even done a game. An innocent mistake. This incident was not what caused him to miss.

Lastly perhaps the umpires are watching the play like they are paid to do. That's why they see blood etc and cant see Bruest who had as much time as the umpire to avoid the collision.

No there would not be suspensions. Malceski ran into an umpire and knocked him out last season. The umpire was out for 2 more weeks. Malceski didn't even get a please explain. If it have have been a player he would have got 3 weeks.

The umpire that ran into Poopolo was a first year umpire that has not even done a game. An innocent mistake. This incident was not what caused him to miss.

Lastly perhaps the umpires are watching the play like they are paid to do. That's why they see blood etc and cant see Bruest who had as much time as the umpire to avoid the collision.
Most of your points are fair enough but regarding the last one, are you serious? Breust was on the ground trying to get up from a contest and the umpire ran straight into him and kneed him in the head. Not really sure what Breust was supposed to do to avoid the collision!

Anyway, that aside, no big deal. Accidents happen, I don't see any point in making a fuss over it. When players make contact with umpires accidentally they don't generally get sanctioned for it.

Looking back to Greg Williams copping a 9 week suspension for barely touching an umpire on the shoulder....seems quite laughable that he was rubbed out for so long now doesn't it...

Once more and more west coast players started colliding with the umpires a few years ago the AFL were forced to be more lenient as West Coast players are a protected species and couldn't have them being suspended!!! AFL is a joke

Looking back to Greg Williams copping a 9 week suspension for barely touching an umpire on the shoulder....seems quite laughable that he was rubbed out for so long now doesn't it...

Once more and more west coast players started colliding with the umpires a few years ago the AFL were forced to be more lenient as West Coast players are a protected species and couldn't have them being suspended!!! AFL is a joke
"The MRP viewed Yeo's strike on St Kilda's Jimmy Webster as careless conduct with medium impact to the head, which led to a two-match sanction."
You're right about the AFL being a joke

Well done Alistair Clarkson...you hit a drunken supporter who was in your face and you got away with it..Mr untouchable hey..orchestrated trial by media....I'll just walk back to my motel..my team just lost to the power..whatta ya know a drunken idiot in my face?..I know ..I'll whack him ..fine display..no slap on the wrist? ..leading by example?..what a precedent set by you and the Afl..Joke

Well done Alistair Clarkson...you hit a drunken supporter who was in your face and you got away with it..Mr untouchable hey..orchestrated trial by media....I'll just walk back to my motel..my team just lost to the power..whatta ya know a drunken idiot in my face?..I know ..I'll whack him ..fine display..no slap on the wrist? ..leading by example?..what a precedent set by you and the Afl..Joke
Is your post a joke as well? Cos it's pretty funny

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Careless, Medium impact to the head. Two weeks, down to one with an early guilty plea.

Take it and run Ray, enjoy your week off you flog!!!

He didn't even flinch or turn back to apologise to Dumont! #dogact

Remove this Banner Ad

Back