Unpopular Musical Opinions

Remove this Banner Ad

In Utero is better than Nevermind

What's your argument here? It's an opinion I can get around, but if you're looking at a song-by-song basis, Nevermind has In Utero covered by some way.

I do think In Utero has some of their best ever songs in Heart Shaped Box, Serve The Servants and All Apologies; that being said, there's a few songs I don't rate: Rape Me and Dumb especially. I get Tourette's is a bit of a throwaway track too, but it works much better in a live context.

The only weak song on Nevermind is Polly, which is so boring.

My unpopular opinion is the 2nd half of Nevermind is better than the first. Lounge Act and Drain You are my all-time favourite Nirvana songs and Stay Away is awesome too. And Territorial Pissings.

What's your argument here? It's an opinion I can get around, but if you're looking at a song-by-song basis, Nevermind has In Utero covered by some way.

I do think In Utero has some of their best ever songs in Heart Shaped Box, Serve The Servants and All Apologies; that being said, there's a few songs I don't rate: Rape Me and Dumb especially. I get Tourette's is a bit of a throwaway track too, but it works much better in a live context.

The only weak song on Nevermind is Polly, which is so boring.

My unpopular opinion is the 2nd half of Nevermind is better than the first. Lounge Act and Drain You are my all-time favourite Nirvana songs and Stay Away is awesome too. And Territorial Pissings.
I just enjoy listening to the songs of In Utero more than Nevermind, which I feel has a lot of songs I don't personally rate. It just sounds a bit meh to me.

In Utero has two of my favourites - Heart-Shaped Box and All Apologies, as well as other songs I also enjoy like Rape Me, Pennyroyal Tea, Serve the Servants, Dumb, Scentless Apprentice and so on.

Part of the appeal IMO. Same with Frenzal and Regurgitator.

Nothing has ever approached the genius of calling a song 'I sucked a lot of utensil to get where I am.'
Those bands are (unfunny) pisstakes and self-aware. They are s**t.

Nirvana weren't too bad but I get the feeling Kurt was serious.

Then again the dude ended up addicted to heroin so bad he wanted to kill himself, so who knows?

Those bands are (unfunny) pisstakes and self-aware. They are s**t.

Nirvana weren't too bad but I get the feeling Kurt was serious.

Then again the dude ended up addicted to heroin so bad he wanted to kill himself, so who knows?

How are they unfunny?

What do you define as a funny song?

Irrespective of self-awareness or serious/pisstake status, the songs of Cobain were caustic in their sound and their lyrics. Makes sense that the titles would be too.

Jesus, how bad are Nirvana's song titles in isolation? Cringe.

Some are pretty ludicrous. Kurt Cobain had a really bizarre sense of humour and had even stranger tastes in literature and movies. Scentless Apprentice, for example, was based on Perfume by Patrick Suskind about an ugly, misanthropic oddball who had a really acute sense of sense of smell but didn't have a scent himself. It's actually a really well-written, interesting story.

Other titles were for shock value. Rape Me was always going to polarise, and maybe even Tourettes as well.

Last edited:
Some are pretty ludicrous. Kurt Cobain had a really bizarre sense of humour and had even stranger tastes in literature and movies. Scentless Apprentice, for example, was based on Perfume by Patrick Suskind about an ugly, misanthropic oddball who had a really acute sense of sense of smell but didn't have a scent himself. It's actually really well-written, interesting story.

Other titles were for shock value. Rape Me was always going to polarise, and maybe even Tourettes as well.
At least the dude backed it up. Not even being a piss taker here.

There's some great acoustic music but it's all music originally written like that.

90% of electric songs lose out when stripped back. It takes away what makes them good. It's a bit of a flog move I reckon.

Eg. when Dave Grohl turns "Everlong" into a solo acoustic song live. It just loses all its power.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Covers don't do anything for me. Would just rather listen to the original.

Especially annoying when you go to see a band and they play a cover over one of their own songs.

Has there been a band that started in the last 10 years who will have legend status in the next 30 years ? I think not....feel free to shoot me down...curious on your thoughts

On SM-N910G using BigFooty.com mobile app
I think Kaleo have the potential - they are brilliant.

Has there been a band that started in the last 10 years who will have legend status in the next 30 years ? I think not....feel free to shoot me down...curious on your thoughts

The day of mega bands combining indie and mainstream success are probably long gone because of the decline of studio backing caused by downloading/streaming etc. It might be more about the occasional iconic album. That said, I think Arcade Fire will be well regarded in years to come.

Also, music genres have their ups and downs. There might not be any legendary rock bands coming through right now but hip hop fans would probably argue Kanye, Kendrick Lamar and Frank Ocean will stand the test of time.

Can't immediately think of any bands that will leave a lasting legacy of that quality, but I think there are a few individual artists that may do so.

Kendrick Lamar, particularly To Pimp A Butterfly, will be seen as a generational album in the future and if he goes on to release more records that have that influence within both the music industry and society then perhaps he will reach the level about which you are talking.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back