Social Science Unpopular Opinions you have (non-football) Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yep. Makes sense for them to build the rivalry up. Getting on a bit though. Nobody new on the scene?

Daniel Geale should have had more spotlight than both of them. Bloke was a level above them and just a shade off being absolute top-notch. Wasn't all bluster either, he put his money where his mouth is and took on some cracking fighters.

Mundine is a goose. He's more sexist, racist, bigoted than the majority of white people but people don't want to call him up on it because he's an Aboriginal Muslim.
Another Aboriginal person once called him on it when he was banging on about the Aboriginal culture - he sold Mundine sold himself out to Islamic culture first and foremost.

There's a massive difference between being an arrogant self promoter, and a socially backwards loudmouth.

Ironically a lot of what Mundine says isn't too far removed from Ali's social views. Unless you count being 40 years apart 'removed'.

Last edited:
There's a massive difference between being an arrogant self promoter, and a socially backwards loudmouth.

Ironically a lot of what Mundine says isn't too far removed from Ali's social views. Unless you count being 40 years apart 'removed'.
It's amazing that so many white people claim to love Ali, politics included, while hating people like Goodes or Mundine for taking any kind of racial stand. I guarantee that the majority would have hated Ali in his time.

It's amazing that so many white people claim to love Ali, politics included, while hating people like Goodes or Mundine for taking any kind of racial stand. I guarantee that the majority would have hated Ali in his time.

I don't hate Mundine for his stand against racism. Moreso his sexism, homophobia, being a religious zealot, and his own racism towards others.

Last edited:
I don't hate Ali for his stand against racism. Moreso his sexism, homophobia, being a religious zealot, and his own racism towards others.
No doubt he had some offensive views; times were different, people are complex, but neither of those reasons to excuse those views. That said, his views on civil rights and war were very admirable so it's no surprise that he is honoured for those. It makes the hatred towards someone like Goodes even more remarkable. Nothing he has ever said has been as contentious as things said by Ali or Mundine but he seems to carry a greater amount of hatred.

No doubt he had some offensive views; times were different, people are complex, but neither of those reasons to excuse those views. That said, his views on civil rights and war were very admirable so it's no surprise that he is honoured for those. It makes the hatred towards someone like Goodes even more remarkable. Nothing he has ever said has been as contentious as things said by Ali or Mundine but he seems to carry a greater amount of hatred.

Whoops, massive typo on my behalf. I meant Mundine!

The two are definitely different in what they have experienced.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Haha, fair enough; Ali had some sexist views and his treatment of Frazier was unfortunate too. But the good far outweighs the bad. In Mundine's defence, he does a lot of community work too.

Yeah, some of Ali's social views were representative of the time though. I'm not sure that makes it better, just different. His treatment of Frazier was despicable.

Mundine has had a very different life to Ali.

Ali is the self-proclaimed greatest, and most people objectively rank him there or thereabouts. Mundine is a nobody.

Then most people would objectively be a little bit off the mark.

It's often overlooked that Mundine made it to the top of one sport and managed to make it not to the top, but to an elite level in another. If people took the 'he's a dickhead' blinkers off for a second he'd be in the conversation as being on of Australia's finest all-round athletes in history.

Then most people would objectively be a little bit off the mark.

It's often overlooked that Mundine made it to the top of one sport and managed to make it not to the top, but to an elite level in another. If people took the 'he's a dickhead' blinkers off for a second he'd be in the conversation as being on of Australia's finest all-round athletes in history.

Most people give very few *s about rugby league. Mundine was pretty good at that sport, but my lasting memory is a guy who played 5 or 6 years, one origin series then claimed 'racism' when things didn't go his way. Say what you want about Adam Goodes, but he played footy for 17 years and throw his toys out of the cot every time he wasn't AA or Brownlow medalist 'because racism'.

Boxing is an international sport, and Mundine is a nobody. You could make a top 10/20/50 list of all time and he wouldn't feature. He's certainly one of the best Australian boxers, but he did beat a whole bunch of nobodies in his 47-8 record. He was pretty good at fighting guys who were 5-10 years older than him and/or past their best.

Most people give very few ****s about rugby league. Mundine was pretty good at that sport, but my lasting memory is a guy who played 5 or 6 years, one origin series then claimed 'racism' when things didn't go his way. Say what you want about Adam Goodes, but he played footy for 17 years and throw his toys out of the cot every time he wasn't AA or Brownlow medalist 'because racism'.

Boxing is an international sport, and Mundine is a nobody. You could make a top 10/20/50 list of all time and he wouldn't feature. He's certainly one of the best Australian boxers, but he did beat a whole bunch of nobodies in his 47-8 record. He was pretty good at fighting guys who were 5-10 years older than him and/or past their best.

So what. In an equally broad sense people give very few f***s about AFL either but if Marcus Bontempelli walked out on the dogs and fought one of the multitude of European stars for a world title in his 11th fight in Budapest you'd think it was a pretty f***in incredible effort im guessing.

He was a good player, a very good player. He was a shade below Daley and Fittler in his position, and only on the grounds that they defended a bit more strongly. As a ball runner he was probably better than both at the time.

And as for his standing in boxing, Buster Douglas isn't going to make a top 50 list either (not saying Mundine is a better boxer than Douglas, by the way) but if he went and became an elite ice hockey player he'd be pretty highly regarded as an all round sportsman.

From all reports, both Mundine and Green are top blokes. But nice guys make less cash in boxing, so it's all about the story and the drama.

I met Mundine in a pub in Sydney. When he came in one of his friends yelled out "Anthony Mundine is in the house !"

He was quiet and drank water while his legion of hangers-ons drank and were incredibly loud. When we left we noticed the entire street filled with ridiculous riced up cars which undoubtedly belonged to his posse.

So he may well be a very decent guy who just happens to have a huge number of floggo friends who do their best to drag him down to their level.

That said, it would be good if he did a little research before speaking out about issues he sees in the world. Im sure they are important to him but coming off as completely ignorant doesnt help any cause.

So what. In an equally broad sense people give very few f***s about AFL either but if Marcus Bontempelli walked out on the dogs and fought one of the multitude of European stars for a world title in his 11th fight in Budapest you'd think it was a pretty f***in incredible effort im guessing.

He was a good player, a very good player. He was a shade below Daley and Fittler in his position, and only on the grounds that they defended a bit more strongly. As a ball runner he was probably better than both at the time.
Please don't say things like this. :eek:

Daniel Geale should have had more spotlight than both of them. Bloke was a level above them and just a shade off being absolute top-notch. Wasn't all bluster either, he put his money where his mouth is and took on some cracking fighters.
Had the stones to get in the ring with GGG, that alone has him above mundine and green in my book

Mundine still threw his toys out of the cot because he wasn't #1 in everyone else's eyes. He had more to achieve in the game but quit to pursue boxing because it's all about him. It's harder to play the race card when you aren't world champ because someone knocked you out.

FWIW Mundine's mates Sonny Bill Williams and Quade Cooper have 7-0 and 3-0 boxing records respectively. John Hopate was 12-5. It's not unheard of for rugby players to get into boxing. The difference with Mundine is that he gave up rugby league for good at 25. Given Mundine grew up as the son of a boxer it's not like he decided to take up a second sport from scratch in his 20s.

Bontempelli is a lanky, weedy, loper of a player who apart from a long reach doesn't strike me as a boxer at all, so yes if he ended up in a world title fight I would be impressed. Plenty of VFL/AFL footballers can/could box, too. Barry Hall, Maurice Rioli etc. If the Bont (sorry DalesGirl38) wants to bail on footy at 21 or 22 or whatever he is to go and try something else then good on him, but he'll be remembered as a guy who played 1 or 2 top seasons of footy.

Mundine still threw his toys out of the cot because he wasn't #1 in everyone else's eyes. He had more to achieve in the game but quit to pursue boxing because it's all about him. It's harder to play the race card when you aren't world champ because someone knocked you out.

FWIW Mundine's mates Sonny Bill Williams and Quade Cooper have 7-0 and 3-0 boxing records respectively. John Hopate was 12-5. It's not unheard of for rugby players to get into boxing. The difference with Mundine is that he gave up rugby league for good at 25. Given Mundine grew up as the son of a boxer it's not like he decided to take up a second sport from scratch in his 20s.

Bontempelli is a lanky, weedy, loper of a player who apart from a long reach doesn't strike me as a boxer at all, so yes if he ended up in a world title fight I would be impressed. Plenty of VFL/AFL footballers can/could box, too. Barry Hall, Maurice Rioli etc. If the Bont (sorry DalesGirl38) wants to bail on footy at 21 or 22 or whatever he is to go and try something else then good on him, but he'll be remembered as a guy who played 1 or 2 top seasons of footy.

Given that his dad is arguably one of the best fighters never to win a world title, I'm guessing there is a tiny bit more to his move than just 'it has to be all about me.'

Not to mention the fact that 'being all about him' involved a move to the centres in Brisbane's 1997 premiership side to accomodate Kevin Walters.....

Mate are you seriously going to compare Mundine's boxing career with Hopoate and Cooper? When did they ever take on an undefeated recognised legitimate champion in their division? Please tell me because I'm dying to know.

Any credibility to your point was lost there and then.

LOL. My 'credibility' on an general discussion forum where people talk s**t to pass time during work days doesn't really keep me up at night.

Mundine is a flog and the fact that Sven Ottke KO'd him doesn't make me think otherwise. He lasted one whole season at the Broncos, so I doubt he was a good team man who moved to the centres for the benefit of others off his own back. More likely he wasn't the centre of attention at the Broncos so he went back to the Dragons, then he wasn't Fred Fittler or Joey Johns so ****ed off to boxing.

He's a pretty good boxer and a pretty good rugby league player, but not the best at either. Never was, never will be. Cooper, Hopoate, SBW etc. are part timers. Cooper and SBW are still playing Super Rugby now at 29 and 32. They're both flogs, also. Must be something in that circle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back