Updating the "Team of the Century"

Remove this Banner Ad

Brereton would struggle to be CHF if the AFL named 4 TOTC's.

Buckenara wouldn't make 6-8 of them.

However, P35 did show proper insight in putting Franklin on a flank. That is his true position.

Carey would make the GOAT CHF and Blight would walk in to the second team.

Carey>> Dermie
Blight>>> Buckenara
Buddy>>> Shimma

2 -1 Roos.

11-5 in Premierships.:)

Brereton 5>>>Carey 2
Buckenara 4>>>Blight 1
Franklin 2= Schimma 2

Also, a wee re-calibration for ya:

Franklin>>>Blight
Buckenara>>>Schimma.;)

Carey has Derm covered as a player, but not on big games finals performances.....That's for sure.

Brereton 5>>>Carey 2
Buckenara 4>>>Blight 1
Franklin 2= Schimma 2

Franklin>>>Blight
Buckenara>>>Schimma.;)

Carey has Derm covered as a player, but not on big games finals performances.....That's for sure.
Really using premierships to help with a player ratings? Glen Freeborn >>> Ablett Snr.:drunk:

List Dermies big finals:

Carey - 32 Disposlas 10 marks 4 goals V Hawks in 94
Carey - 24 disposlas 14 marks 6 goals V Cats in 94
Carey - 22 dsposlas 9 marks 5 goals V Tigers in 95
Carey - 23 dispoals 10 marks 7 goals V Cats in 97
Carey - 24 disposlas 8 marks 5 goals V Ess in 98
Carey - 24 dispaols 11 marks 6 goals V Port in 99

Shimma was a better player than Buckenara.

Really using premierships to help with a player ratings? Glen Freeborn >>> Ablett Snr.:drunk:

List Dermies big finals:

Carey - 32 Disposlas 10 marks 4 goals V Hawks in 94
Carey - 24 disposlas 14 marks 6 goals V Cats in 94
Carey - 22 dsposlas 9 marks 5 goals V Tigers in 95
Carey - 23 dispoals 10 marks 7 goals V Cats in 97
Carey - 24 disposlas 8 marks 5 goals V Ess in 98
Carey - 24 dispaols 11 marks 6 goals V Port in 99

Shimma was a better player than Buckenara.

No....Schimma is not in Buckenara's class as a player....Certainly, he had a longer career & was a very consistent performer at club level, but lets not get carried-away....Buckenara remains easily the most skillful player to have ever represented our club.

Once Wallace departed, Buckenara moved into the middle & was instrumental in driving us to the 1988/1989 premiership double....He was equally as adept a player as Blight was, without being able to play in the array of positions that Blight could.

Brereton....20 Disposals, 6 marks....5.4 Goals in the 1982 Ist Semi vs North Melb
Brereton....23 Disposals, 11 marks....3.2 Goals in the 1985 Qualifying final vs Footscray
Brereton....14 disposals, 9 marks... 8.1 Goals in the 1985 losing Grand Final va Essendon
Brereton....23 Disposals, 10 marks....0.2 Goals in the 1986 Preliminary Final vs Fitzroy
Brereton....18 Disposals, 9 marks....6.1 Goals in the 1987 Qualifying final vs Sydney
Brereton....12 Disposals, 10 marks...5.3 Goals in the 1988 Grand Final vs Melbourne
Brereton....20 Disposals, 10 marks....4.5 Goals in the 1991 Grand Final vs West Coast

Breretons Grand Final record easily eclipses Carey's; whose stats are well down in those big games.

No....Schimma is not in Buckenara's class as a player....Certainly, he had a longer career & was a very consistent performer at club level, but lets not get carried-away....Buckenara remains easily the most skillful player to have ever represented our club.

Once Wallace departed, Buckenara moved into the middle & was instrumental in driving us to the 1988/1989 premiership double....He was equally as adept a player as Blight was, without being able to play in the array of positions that Blight could.

Brereton....20 Disposals, 6 marks....5.4 Goals in the 1982 Ist Semi vs North Melb
Brereton....23 Disposals, 11 marks....3.2 Goals in the 1985 Qualifying final vs Footscray
Brereton....14 disposals, 9 marks... 8.1 Goals in the 1985 losing Grand Final va Essendon
Brereton....23 Disposals, 10 marks....0.2 Goals in the 1986 Preliminary Final vs Fitzroy
Brereton....18 Disposals, 9 marks....6.1 Goals in the 1987 Qualifying final vs Sydney
Brereton....12 Disposals, 10 marks...5.3 Goals in the 1988 Grand Final vs Melbourne
Brereton....20 Disposals, 10 marks....4.5 Goals in the 1991 Grand Final vs West Coast

Breretons Grand Final record easily eclipses Carey's; whose stats are well down in those big games.

Its like taking Bradley Hill over Joel Selwood because Hill has more skill. You may get a close poll Shimma V Buckenara but it won't be close if you put him up against Blight. He kicked 103 goals in 82 as a 32 year old.

"Carey has Derm covered as a player, but not on big games finals performances.....That's for sure." Well looking at the stats I am sure your not so sure anymore.

lol - 23 disposals 0.2!!! Someone is scraping the bottom of the barrel.....

Brereton 5>>>Carey 2
Buckenara 4>>>Blight 1
Franklin 2= Schimma 2

Franklin>>>Blight
Buckenara>>>Schimma.;)

FMD, you surprised me with how quickly you resorted to this infantile crap.

Teddy Whitten & Bobby Skilton better hand back in their jumpers.

A veritable orgy of cognitive dissonance.

0.2 is pure gold. I should have picked up you were joking on this thread when i read that.

23 disposals & 10 marks.....More than Carey has ever done in a Grand Final.

Don't get me wrong.....Schimma was a club champion & had a wonderful & stellar career for the skills he had.....But he was working -class.

Buckenara was silky-skilled. Played in the center, full-forward & off a flank.....His Grand Final performances are way above anything Schimma has ever produced.....Blight was more well-rounded in that he could play anywhere, much like Jesaulenko.

Buckenara tore Victoria apart single-handedly over at Subiaco out of the middle, in kicking 4 goals & setting up numerous others.....In a champion team, he was the silk.

Comparing him to Brad hill is a joke.....That's like me comparing Schimma to Angelo Lekkas.

23 disposals & 10 marks.....More than Carey has ever done in a Grand Final.

Don't get me wrong.....Schimma was a club champion & had a wonderful & stellar career for the skills he had.....But he was working -class.

Buckenara was silky-skilled. Played in the center, full-forward & off a flank.....His Grand Final performances are way above anything Schimma has ever produced.....Blight was more well-rounded in that he could play anywhere, much like Jesaulenko.

Buckenara tore Victoria apart single-handedly over at Subiaco out of the middle, in kicking 4 goals & setting up numerous others.....In a champion team, he was the silk.

Comparing him to Brad hill is a joke.....That's like me comparing Schimma to Angelo Lekkas.
Wait - this is getting better - so you want to compare 0.2 23 disposals 10 marks V 1.3 22 disposals 9 marks? This is awesome!!

Also your not really putting Buckenara in the same league as Blight and Jezza? I would be surprised if he beat Shimma in a poll let alone get anywhere near the other 2.

Wait - this is getting better - so you want to compare 0.2 23 disposals 10 marks V 1.3 22 disposals 9 marks? This is awesome!!

Also your not really putting Buckenara in the same league as Blight and Jezza? I would be surprised if he beat Shimma in a poll let alone get anywhere near the other 2.

Walk away

He's either bored and trolling or he's been at the liquid paper again.

I've been more than clear right from the beginning that Derm has a far better Grand Final record than the Duck.....Hardly a shock.

And stipulated that Blight had a more all-round game than Buckenara.

My, my.... thee of the Shin-boner variety are a smite touchy tonite.

Next you'll be telling me that Ross Glendinning was a better Center half back than Peter Knights....LOL

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Last 50 years

Clement Pert Morwood
Treloar Picken Brown
Barham Price Millane
Dunne Carman Greening
Moore McKenna Daicos

Thompson Buckley W Richardson

Tuddenham A Shaw Pendlebury Swan

Last edited:
What happened to all the Bulldog supporter comments in this thread?
He probably posted on the main bored and it got divvied by some mod not looking through the comments as the OP was the only Dogs poster posting in it.

Seems a fairly legit MB topic, just could have been worded better to be more inclusive for all clubs.

He probably posted on the main bored and it got divvied by some mod not looking through the comments as the OP was the only Dogs poster posting in it.

Seems a fairly legit MB topic, just could have been worded better to be more inclusive for all clubs.
It's OK I found the same thread name from Byron on page two which has the Dogs responses. Maybe the original got split up. I like the topic.

A HAWKTHORN 22

B: Gary Ayres Chris Langford Kelvin Moore
H.B: Peter Knights Chris Mew Luke Hodge
C: Shane Crawford Sam Mitchell Robert Dipierdomenico
HF: Lance Franklin Dermott Brereton Gary Buckenara
F: Peter Hudson Jason Dunstall Leigh Matthews
R: Don Scott Michael Tuck John Platten
Int: Cyril Rioli Graham Arthur Darren Jarman Shaun Burgoyne

Note: That full forward line might be a tad slow in today's footy....LOL

To be honest, they look slow on every line. The average age must be around 50. Our VFL team could take them down.

I didn't see Donald play, but he must have been some player to keep Dale Morris out of the side.

John Coleman has said that Donald is the greatest back pocket that he has ever had to play on and Donald actually captained us to the premiership in 54 while Sutton was injured. Statistically speaking, he and Herb Henderson are also the greatest defensive pair in the history of the AFL

John Coleman has said that Donald is the greatest back pocket that he has ever had to play on and Donald actually captained us to the premiership in 54 while Sutton was injured. Statistically speaking, he and Herb Henderson are also the greatest defensive pair in the history of the AFL
So Wood did a Donald?

I've been more than clear right from the beginning that Derm has a far better Grand Final record than the Duck.....Hardly a shock.

And stipulated that Blight had a more all-round game than Buckenara.

My, my.... thee of the Shin-boner variety are a smite touchy tonite.

Next you'll be telling me that Ross Glendinning was a better Center half back than Peter Knights....LOL
Clear??

"Carey has Derm covered as a player, but not on big games finals performances.....That's for sure."

What part of your comment mentions Grand Finals? Yeah crystal clear...

Glendinning and Knights would be a great debate. Dermie has come out and stated Glendinning was the best player he ever played on. Thats a big wrap from Derm.

Testekill and DelRe--actually Charlie Sutton did play in the 1954 premiership side, and he played very well too. There is an inspirational photograph of the injured leader, Charlie Sutton, thigh seriously bandaged (because he had been badly injured), bursting on to MCG, leading his boys out. Right close by was Sutton's Lieutenant, Wally Donald. I've heard it said that that photograph is one of the finest in VFL/AFL history. Sutton was short (about 5'6") but as tough as nails. He was much feared, and during the 1954 Grand Final he did a demolition job on Noel McMahon, a Melbourne champion at that time. So, yes, Charlie did play in the '54 Grand Final.

Last edited:
Clear??

"Carey has Derm covered as a player, but not on big games finals performances.....That's for sure."

What part of your comment mentions Grand Finals? Yeah crystal clear...

Glendinning and Knights would be a great debate. Dermie has come out and stated Glendinning was the best player he ever played on. Thats a big wrap from Derm.

Yes, I can see how these 2 comments are incongruous.o_O

Royce Hart & Dermie will be my next poll question come July.....But yeah, Knights & Glendinning would also be quite interesting....Both clubs supporters would say their own man, I'm fairly certain....Knights was only second behind Matthews in the 70's as the best Hawk player I saw. Would have won 2 brownlow's but for injury.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back