VFL VFL 2024 - Geelong & the greater league

Remove this Banner Ad

Looks like they are sticking with him as a forward and not trialling Mid in VFL. He does look like a very natural forward - but hard to get a spot in our AFL team from there!

Definitely playing as a pure forward, and even been our deepest forward at times

He hasn't started outside the forward 50 at any centre bounces - he did find himself on the opposition goal line & his defender teammates told him to rush it over, instead he tried kicking long, but straight to an opposition player... Maybe that's why we don't see him up the ground 😂

I know it's only the first quarter, but it's more like what we see from Stengle than either Close or especially Miers who do get up the ground a bit now, when comparing our small forward group - maybe drafted somewhat as insurance for Stengle?

Hardie already 7 marks before the end of the 1st quarter.....

Is he 'dominating' or just getting lucky to be in the chain of things?
I posted same time as you. Top my eye (but on the screen not at the ground) he is always in the right spot. Good spots.

He should have just had another mark in space

Knevitt on the wing…would like to see him play more in the guts in VFL? To get him around the action more?

He started in the guts alongside Parfitt & Hardie

He started in the guts alongside Parfitt & Hardie
I missed the start.

I was about to question Foster - don’t like to be negative but looks like he doesn’t work hard enough?

He got that free downfield and showed that he has good kicking skills - but that was his first position. When we are dominating. And when I see him around he seems like he isn’t moving at pace? Am I being harsh?

Two kicks in a row from Parf lead to intercept marks. If you watched this game cold you would think Hardie was the 100 game AFL player vs parf? Maybe he is struggling mentally with being dropped?

Humphries' two-footedness is such a weapon. If his teammates take a mark he can roll past either side of them and no matter which side he chooses he's comfortable distributing at an elite level, whereas most players getting a handball receive with their momentum going in the opposite direction of their dominant side either has to reposition their body to kick a comfortable drop punt or kick with less assurance and quality off their non-dominant foot. It makes him super unpredictable and more of a 360 degree player.

Hardie already 7 marks before the end of the 1st quarter.....

Is he 'dominating' or just getting lucky to be in the chain of things?

He's having an interesting quarter - I've tried to spend a bit of time actually watching what he's been doing

He was relatively quiet over that first 5-10 minutes before starting to get involved

He's finding himself in space which is both good and bad - so he's quick to spread when we've got the ball, but he's also been standing off the pack at times when there is a stoppage, and not necessarily showing urgency to pick up an opponent when GWS has the ball; jogging through the centre square rather than pushing back - but if we then get a turnover he's open for the receive

I did get a little annoyed at him with a defensive stoppage where he was standing on his own just off the pack & pointing at an open opponent - he was the closest "loose" player, but didn't show interest in trying to close the space

I missed the start.

I was about to question Foster - don’t like to be negative but looks like he doesn’t work hard enough?

He got that free downfield and showed that he has good kicking skills - but that was his first position. When we are dominating. And when I see him around he seems like he isn’t moving at pace? Am I being harsh?
I actually went to the game at Coburg last week. Armchair expert talking, but it seemed to me that Foster did a LOT of pointing and giving orders to his team-mates despite hardly touching the ball. Almost like he was blaming them for his lack of involvement.

Obviously I get that there's lots of "talk" out on the field. But he reminded me a bit of a soccer goalie who lets an easy goal through, and then spends the next 2 minutes going ape-droppings at his own defenders.

Two kicks in a row from Parf lead to intercept marks. If you watched this game cold you would think Hardie was the 100 game AFL player vs parf? Maybe he is struggling mentally with being dropped?

I thought he started well, he's showing urgency to get involved

Wonder if he's just trying a bit to much at times though, and also that he knows what he wants to do but not necessarily on the same page as teammates - something that may come off in the seniors but not the VFL with the understanding & feel of things

I missed the start.

He's definitely a big unit, but not having a big presence

Maybe we should try turning him into a defender

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's having an interesting quarter - I've tried to spend a bit of time actually watching what he's been doing

He was relatively quiet over that first 5-10 minutes before starting to get involved

He's finding himself in space which is both good and bad - so he's quick to spread when we've got the ball, but he's also been standing off the pack at times when there is a stoppage, and not necessarily showing urgency to pick up an opponent when GWS has the ball; jogging through the centre square rather than pushing back - but if we then get a turnover he's open for the receive

I did get a little annoyed at him with a defensive stoppage where he was standing on his own just off the pack & pointing at an open opponent - he was the closest "loose" player, but didn't show interest in trying to close the space
That insight might be (who knows) what is holding him back from getting AFL game? Defensive running (or I learned they call it “off ball roles” - I sound like an expert now!) is highly highly valued. We often talk about the offense impact but coaches love the defensive running!

Willis got no chance of debut unless he can move into midfield and dominate VFL? Being a bit forward isn’t going to get him played?

That insight might be (who knows) what is holding him back from getting AFL game? Defensive running (or I learned they call it “off ball roles” - I sound like an expert now!) is highly highly valued. We often talk about the offense impact but coaches love the defensive running!

He's now playing FF

In that first entry into our forward line, even when the ball got deep and he was within the vicinity of an opponent, he gave up the chase very quickly

It's a little Motlop like - works hard when the team has the ball, but doesn't necessarily break a sweat when we don't

Perfectly example is just now - was jogging from FF when GWS was going forward, when we took a defensive mark he started working up to the wing but when it was turned over he went back into a jog, and at the same time his direct opponent ran past him to create an option in the middle. Hardie then seemed to trigger he might need to do something, but there was still a 10m gap

Just the little things…even though is was an off the ball free kick - that mark by COS got me excited! Althetic attack at the contest

He did that a lot in the SANFL and the VFL last year. But his work rate has lifted a lot since last year.

SURELY Hardie gets a game next week.
18 touches and a goal up until half time..
He’s absolutely hammering the door down, and pretty soon he’s going to break through it.

I'm pretty sure he'll get another game in the VFL next week

Watching him today, I'm not seeing what "spark" he'd bring to the senior team - there's other players that have had less of the ball, but more positives & upsides that I'd rather see get a shot

Remove this Banner Ad

Back