Preview VFL round 17: Expansion Eagles vs Collingpie MCGs (The Sharrod Cup)

What will be the combined goal tally from our returning forwards?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 13, 2014
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
This week, we are playing for Wellingham’s heart and our spot in the top 4.

Our spot in the top 4.

lIg57WR.jpg

Take that, AFL commentators who universally gave us both no chance in the preseason.

Take that, freakin’ numpty eyeores and naysaying chumps that call themselves fans.

Both teams have begun to look towards Sheptember, and we are now fighting for a chance to trampoline past an elimination final or two.

Team Changes

Some fit players return, or something.

The Holy Grail

Oh boy wowee, we’re allowed to play at the ‘G again this year? I’ve heard we’re even allowed to touch the hallowed earth before first bounce this year! Can’t train there yet, but whoa. Progress.

Let it never be said that the AFL isn’t working towards a more equitable competition. What a time to be alive. For the next 40 something years.

Given we are currently undefeated at the MCG this year, we will surely start as favourites.

Anything else is ancient history, and bears no correlation to present-season results. Except when we’re considering the homeground advantage in the grand final, which historically *s over non-VIC teams. That is a causal relationship. And a ******* injustice.

171205_wellingham620.jpg

Sharrod never minded the G.

Honestly, the ground itself is not that great from a fan’s perspective. But it might just be because I always see us lose here. Or my parents weren’t rich enough to put a deposit on a MCC membership when I was born.

Anyhow, now’s the chance to see how our MCG-sized training ground at Lathlain has paid off. We know we’ve gotten much better at utilizing the width at Optus, putting aside any scrappy blues-esque flooding bullshit (which Buckley wouldn’t stoop to).

The lid will be blown right off if we win here, and if we fall short again we at least know what the narrative will be.

UnluckyIndolentDaddylonglegs-size_restricted.gif

The MCG offers eternal life, but only if you choose wisely. Above: depiction of what happens if you train there without permission.

Last time we met (at the G): Rd 18, '17

A fourth-quarter collapse probably lost it for us last year at the MCG against the Pies. Although, the scoreboard didn’t quite reflect our overall poor performance: due to their inaccuracy in the front half, and JK being a bearded god.

Yeo’s hitting the post towards the end summed up our game in general: not quite up to it, for no particular reason. A huge second-half from De Goey was also pivotal.

Having the 2015 Sharrod would’ve been the difference… if only he wasn’t already completely cooked by 2017, condemned to wreck things for the Royals. He had 19 touches 0 tackles as East Perth were smashed by South Freo, and was named in the best for EP.

sharrod-wellingham-4963-1524637764.jpg

Sharrod.

Comparative Injury Carnage & Rookies

What’s a forward line? Let’s try to bring back some real key forwards this week.

68ZRBwf.png

Mostly continuity in defence, despite a lack of Sharrod.

Meanwhile, Collingwood have also been hit hard by the injury stick this year. So much so, that it’s hard to figure out just how the ugly stick found the time to beat some of them that much too. They’ve lost more players than teeth, missing more best 22 players across the year than most of the competition. But they keep finding new ones to fill up the slots (new players, not teeth).

Other than picking up the rising star lock in Stephenson, they’ve been able to pump games into their exciting F/S duo Daicos and Brown, and BBIBWBLF Sier. They've unearthed the mature and versatile Mihocheck to complement their emerging big American Cox. None of whom have anything on our classy Willie.

Cox has been powering through with brute force marking, his size making him immovable. On the other hand, Willie has that special magic touch, although can go in too hard. Both players have stepped up this year to play really important roles, proving the haters wrong. Which is clearly the only reason I'm comparing them.

Whether Oscar / Venables / Arch play will be down to who can return from injury this week.

As a footnote, they’ve also been forced to find a de-Freo cure for Chris Mayne; which is probably worthy of some Coach of the Year award in itself.

The midfield and ruck contest

The ruck battle between Grundy and Naitanui / Lycett shapes up as the key matchup. Controlling hitouts will go a long way towards winning the midfield battle.

Which is pretty ******* obvious, given that the most important player in each team is a ruck.

Pies will seek to minimize our hitouts to advantage, whereas we will try to limit the effectiveness of Grundy’s groundball work.

Let’s all remember that Grundy’s brilliant season for the Pies wouldn’t be possible without Sharrod’s sacrifice in asking to come home. (Forever depriving us of drafting Kamdyn in the process, mind you.)

sharrod-wellingham-095356e0-f01c-4d66-8399-76eacc328ec-resize-750.jpeg

Sharrod loves all. You're welcome.

Pies have been a much better stoppage side than us this year (3rd overall vs us at 11th). But when our ruck duo is on, it is hard to stop - and we have won more hitouts than every team except the Dees.

Our mid group stepped up with a domination of GWS last week, and will have another tough test this week despite the absence of their best midfielder in Treloar. Pies bat deeper here than nearly any side. But our best this year has been a step above. The question is whether we can sustain it.

Mitchell vs Longmuir

They have an inside source on how to beat us, but we've moved on.

ymcBOCn.jpg

The verdict

We get the big blokes back (probably), and it’s time to remind the rest of the comp why we won 10 in a row.

We know that Sharrod Wellingham will be cheering for us: http://www.westcoasteagles.com.au/video/2018-07-09/wellingham-reflects-on-afl-career

Our midfield just needs to continue the effort, and our superior backs and forwards will do the rest.

Four goal win coming up for the blue and gold.

Last time we met (at the G): Rd 18, '17

A fourth-quarter collapse probably lost it for us last year at the MCG against the Pies. Although, the scoreboard didn’t quite reflect our overall poor performance: due to their inaccuracy in the front half, and JK being a bearded god.
This was at Etihad

The last time we played Pies at the G was 2016, a 13.13.91 - 11.6.72 loss

Sorry :(

http://m.afl.com.au/news/2016-07-30/match-report-collingwood-v-west-coast
We actually were up 3 minutes into the last quarter but they got a 4 goal run on to knock us off. 2 completely different sides though. No NicNat Redden Yeo aswell as Jesse White and Priddis running around. We have a stronger side now if we get our JK and JD back. Lecca didn't kick a goal that game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

"Simpson confirmed West Coast won't be granted access to train at the home of football due to Melbourne hosting the Western Bulldogs at the ground on Saturday."

Correct me if i am wrong, but weren't interstate teams promised far greater access to the MCG as part of the bullshit deal for the MCG to host the grand final for the next 50 years?

Time to finally knock them off at the G again and keep our undefeated Melbourne run going!

Awesome preview. Looking forward to this game

If we pull off a win, I'll be heading to the local Centrelink in an Eagles jumper just to annoy the local Pie fans. If we lose, fold the club.

"Simpson confirmed West Coast won't be granted access to train at the home of football due to Melbourne hosting the Western Bulldogs at the ground on Saturday."

Correct me if i am wrong, but weren't interstate teams promised far greater access to the MCG as part of the bullshit deal for the MCG to host the grand final for the next 50 years?
Only if they come from the east is my guess.

Unfortunately will be on a plane heading to Melbourne while the game is on.

Just wondering how to get a score update whilst in the air...

If the plane has wifi, just post in this thread abusing people for not posting score updates often enough :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back