2nds VFL round 7 vs Werribee 20th May 2:00pm

Remove this Banner Ad

They would complement each other well. I would suggest English, Schache and Boyd is a potentially a decent mix going forward. English great around the ground, Schache with a huge endurance base, and Boyd with the ability to play deep forward and ruck too
All we need now is:
1. All three to become AFL standard;
2. Some semblance of a forward structure;
3. To surround them with high-pressure smaller players;
4. The ability to kick set shots;
5. The ability to kick the ball to them with precision.

Almost there :D :p

All we need now is:

Let's not rush into things.....

All we need now is:

Well I am of the belief Boyd already is, just needs to be plonked at FF and told only to ruck 30% of the game. He might only kick 30 goals in his first year, but I think he would increase that over the coming years. Looks like Gowers could be one of the smaller players at least. We probably only need two more.

It's Schache and those kind of players you can have one of, but it is difficult to have more than one. Can Boyd and
Schache exist in the same forward line without being a defensive liability that is the big question.
I don't think they can both play in the forward line because they are both unreliable in the air and slow on the ground. Having said that, there is nothing wrong with the experiment of trying both at some stage this season; we are not going to play finals so nothing to lose really.

10 goals up and nearly lose....but didn’t. Really put the cue in the rack but then desperation for the last 10 mins.

A couple listed player comments:

- Morris was great and will come straight back next week

- English was OK without being dominant. Campbell played better but English shows flashes that he will end up much better.

- Campbell was decent and lifted when needed

- Jong was heavily involved but disposal poor - when games was in the line he lifted but was very messy

- Porter tried hard but not quite there yet - as was NMM

- Young was one of our best but still some clangers. Completely focussed on the punch while at the other end Sam Collins (ex Freo) was outstanding.

- Fletch was OK but not enough to get a callback

- Adams was poor with little influence - will need a few weeks

- Porter is coming along - but is a fair way off.

- Smith started well but then dropped off.

- Biggs was disappointing - critical errors nearly cost us the game.

- NMM - tries but easily smashed by defender

- Schache started of well but dropped off and was watching the game - get pushed under the pack way to easily. Was covering the ground but not with impact on the contest.

All and all pretty disappointing - other than Morris others disappointing.

The drop off of Biggs is a huge shame. He gets that he needs to be a really attacking player, and knows when to make runs out of defence. Problem is he'll turn it over when he does so. Skills let him down big time.

With Schache, I think after this recent stretch it's easy to see the appeal. He's a highly skilled tall forward. I actually view him as similar to English; you can see how both are very skilled for their position, but right now are let down by their inexperienced bodies. I think keeping both of them in the VFL for a little while longer, before giving them some games at the back end of the season, would be the way to go. Each of them would get smashed physically if they had to play an extended stretch at this point of their careers. But English already got a decent taste of AFL footy, and I think he and Schache would both benefit from a handful of games down the line just for the sake of getting a feel for the game. Really what both of them need is time and a good preseason.

10 goals up and nearly lose....but didn’t. Really put the cue in the rack but then desperation for the last 10 mins.

A couple listed player comments:

- Morris was great and will come straight back next week

- English was OK without being dominant. Campbell played better but English shows flashes that he will end up much better.

- Campbell was decent and lifted when needed

- Jong was heavily involved but disposal poor - when games was in the line he lifted but was very messy

- Porter tried hard but not quite there yet - as was NMM

- Young was one of our best but still some clangers. Completely focussed on the punch while at the other end Sam Collins (ex Freo) was outstanding.

- Fletch was OK but not enough to get a callback

- Adams was poor with little influence - will need a few weeks

- Porter is coming along - but is a fair way off.

- Smith started well but then dropped off.

- Biggs was disappointing - critical errors nearly cost us the game.

- NMM - tries but easily smashed by defender

- Schache started of well but dropped off and was watching the game - get pushed under the pack way to easily. Was covering the ground but not with impact on the contest.

All and all pretty disappointing - other than Morris others disappointing.
Good summary but I would not say Jong was messy at all. Played very well and I could not find fault in his game. Thought he was terrific. Also, would not say Adams was poor, he is just a player that needs a few games under his belt before he starts playing well. He did what he needed to do, get through the game and have a run. Would not say Morris was great, but he was solid and I would bring him straight back, too.

Campbell was pretty good around the ground. English had great tap work going to be a star as we all know.
Adams had no influence but good to give him a run, he really needs to lose some muscle if he wants some longevity.
Biggs seems like a different player, he should be dominating this level like Jong, Webb and Honeychurch do.

Love Schache's accurate kicking for goal and in play and his leading is forward like. His pressure is no different than Redpath or Boyd. Really hope he gets a few games this year along side Boyd so he isn't the number 1 forward. They can definitely co-exist but need high pressure smalls around them.

We definitely need a lead up forward as when your tall marks at half forward there is no one to kick to. Frustrating. I think Melbourne are doing this well with McDonald and Hogan ATM.

Just need some time to play together and sort it out. Can see Adams as maybe a lead up forward though he is going to have to get fit
first

Schache was named as an emergency and has kicked nine in the last three weeks. He will get a go soon I expect. Some players find another gear at AFL level and he’s been exposed a bit.

Unless Bevo really wants to make a point about the pressure aspect then I’d get him in for a run sooner rather than later.

Good summary but I would not say Jong was messy at all. Played very well and I could not find fault in his game. Thought he was terrific. Also, would not say Adams was poor, he is just a player that needs a few games under his belt before he starts playing well. He did what he needed to do, get through the game and have a run. Would not say Morris was great, but he was solid and I would bring him straight back, too.

To be honest I also wasn't to keen on Jong's game. He always dominates the VFL physically, went back and slotted a set shot which is good to see, but I thought it was the same old stuff from him skills wise. He did some nice things but personally I wouldn't say his skill level overall was any better than it has been.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's Schache and those kind of players you can have one of, but it is difficult to have more than one. Can Boyd and
Schache exist in the same forward line without being a defensive liability that is the big question.
I think Boyd at least tries. He spends a lot of time in the ruck which I think blows him up a bit but I’ve seen him run pretty hard to pressure.

English is so far ahead as our best ruck option it isn't even funny.

He's good around the ground but I really like Campbell's aggression in the middle. That's the thing we miss so much in clearances when we have ruckman who are as soft as butter.

I just don't get it how we rate Roughead and Trengove ahead of Campbell. You see how NicNat bests up the opposition throws his weight around and hurts the opposition. Look at how much better the Eagles are with back.

Tommy is by miles our best clearance ruckman- would love to see him get a go at Grundy. He has done well against him in the past.

Just catching up on the game, Scache kicked 1 more than the western Bulldogs did on Friday but some seem to think he isnt ready.

Put him straight in i think cant be any worse than a few in the seniors surely

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back