Moved Thread Voss vs Selwood

Michael Voss or Joel Selwood?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

no, I think he’s underrated because who he played for. No one even seems to remember Moloney had one good season

Dees should’ve had him as a sub. Easy to think in hindsight, but I’m pretty sure they didn’t even activate it in the GF. Think the bloke still got the premiership medal lol.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Pendlebury has been a classier footballer than Selwood.

They're different types of players, ie Selwood more contested, but for quality of ball use, Pendlebury has Selwood covered.
Selwood goes through the wall, Pendlebury makes the wall move, I reckon that’s the best way to describe those 2, pretty hard to separate them on output.

Dees should’ve had him as a sub. Easy to think in hindsight, but I’m pretty sure they didn’t even activate it in the GF. Think the bloke still got the premiership medal lol.

I think he went home for the birth of his kid
Selwood goes through the wall, Pendlebury makes the wall move, I reckon that’s the best way to describe those 2, pretty hard to separate them on output.
Pendlebury at Geelong and we still win 4 of the last 16, and Selwood at Pies then you still win 2010.

You’d be stoked to have either

Goodes is not in that conversation IMO.
I would take Goodes #1 out of those 3 one of the most versatile players ever and managed 2 Brownlow medal seasons and 2 premierships with a few other grand finals in there as well.

Riccutio 2nd , his ability up forward above Buckleys and equal in the midfield.

Pendlebury has been a classier footballer than Selwood.

They're different types of players, ie Selwood more contested, but for quality of ball use, Pendlebury has Selwood covered.
Both have the most votes for never winning a Brownlow I think rated 5 and 7 of all time in total votes. I’ll still take Selwood, has lead in actions so many times in crunch moments and has a bit more explosive power in his play.

Both have the most votes for never winning a Brownlow I think rated 5 and 7 of all time in total votes. I’ll still take Selwood, has lead in actions so many times in crunch moments and has a bit more explosive power in his play.
I’ll take Pendlebury because I go for Collingwood and can’t be bothered making up any other points

I think we need to stop talking about the Brownlow. It's a joke of an award and always has been. Ollie Wines had equal most votes last year, where was he this year? Not even a top 50 player in the AFL. Steven May, the AA fullback didn't get a single vote. It's a joke of an award and it's why the Coaches award is the only respected footy award by true footy nuts.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So give me your understanding of where you rate selwood?? What bracket of players. I have no issues with the idea he isn’t better than Voss, that is a reasonable opinion. It is absolutely a discussion point given selwood will walk into the HOF and probably would be in a revised geelong team of the century if one got posted up. I don’t think any poll could be put up that selwood would win given he is the poster boy of the most hated run of success in the AFL’s history

Selwood is not disliked due to being a poster boy of Geelong’s success. He’s disliked because he ducked / shrugged / twisted / contorted his body into any number of positions to earn a gazillion free kicks against every team in the competition. He also is also constantly looking at umpires calling for free kicks at every contest. This is why he’s disliked. It may make Geelong supporters feel better to think it’s because of Geelong’s success, but it’s not the reason.

I rate Selwood with the likes of Cotchin (FWIW I rate Selwood a little higher as a player overall). But similar players and leadership credentials.

I’d also put Selwood in and around these players for overall ‘ranking’ (not necessarily the same type of player):

Bradley
West
Black
Josh Kennedy (Sydney)
Crawford
Hayes
Buddha
Cousins
Sam Mitchell

But then below the likes of:

Judd
Buckley
Voss
Fyfe
Martin
Diesel
Robert Harvey
GAJ

Etc….

Voss
Hodge

Selwood
is the question, who are the most overrated of the past 30 years?
I'm going be unpopular, I know, but Hodge was also so overrated as a player, because of his brilliant leadership skills.
What's next? Nick Maxwell being rated the best Collingwood player in the 1990's?

is the question, who are the most overrated of the past 30 years?
I'm going be unpopular, I know, but Hodge was also so overrated as a player, because of his brilliant leadership skills.
What's next? Nick Maxwell being rated the best Collingwood player in the 1990's?

I’ve never heard somebody call Voss overrated before. He is in tier 1 of AFL players almost in GOAT contention imo. Just google his Resume.

Last edited:
Back