WA State Election, March 13, 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Many people vote for many reasons.

I think that you are right about the cultural wars at the moment in WA, wrong time to play at that game.

In Queensland and Victoria laws are in place that you can't stop a trans woman go into a girls locker room or toilet. When the first sexual assault happens or a school is sued, its game on.

WA doesn't have these laws yet and McGowan doesn't seem to be looking to do that. With his majority you never know.

Your point is right, its not a major issue with most voters.

I have a feeling that the Liberals federally will lose due their treatment of women and mishandling of sexual abuse. Plus they have pissed off Victoria, WA and Queensland with their anti lockdown actions.

The next step I think is trans gender and women rights. Labor will have a mandate to do something about women's rights. Their solutions to tackle a very complex issues might have oppressive side affects.

Gilliard brought in laws to protect women in making claims of violence against their ex partners not to be charged with perjury in the family court. Some women have used that law change to lie about abuse in court with no consequences.

Women have been let down and something needs to be done. I really hope Labor think about trying to solve women's rights with laws that don't cause other problems.

Liberals have dropped the ball on this. They could have gone down the Law and Order angle. Some of sentences for violent sexual crime is just not long enough.

Getting back to your point, most people don't care about ideological view points but vote according what personally they are affected by.
1) how do you know who the trans women are to stop them?

Here are some trans women

525968B8-101A-47EE-BEEF-AF7AE969CFC0.jpeg 900BADFE-D601-4FD4-866D-8C13F745458E.jpeg 900BADFE-D601-4FD4-866D-8C13F745458E.jpeg 9A0CD3A6-20B5-4960-9FB3-E6B8F7AE7879.jpeg

Here are some cis women

132DA715-13A2-4E6B-BEC7-9B53C6628E8C.jpeg FB76741D-F480-4925-9119-FA312B592D43.jpeg 7234D298-9D7E-4FC7-8D58-7E457E16426D.jpeg 74847788-8E20-4B13-9147-2A47B31CBAC6.jpeg

2) im assuming that as you wish for trans women to use the mens toilets - you also want trans men to use the womens toilets.

DCB36E52-D1BF-499F-8341-B629C8525F67.jpeg E0B4C685-E172-4C97-90F9-D10F44EAB190.jpeg F552EC20-840A-4978-A9D8-BBD7FF3811F8.jpeg 17DE767F-8EC0-4CC3-9763-89DEF82A4713.jpeg

Are we going to appoint a toilet police?

Attachments

• B101E4B3-8DF2-42A5-A919-E81C463FB551.jpeg
    B101E4B3-8DF2-42A5-A919-E81C463FB551.jpeg
    14.3 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
It’s extremely difficult to form any opposition and alternate government with just 2 members in the lower house.

Here’s my grand plan for the Liberals (I hate them but for democracy to work you need diversity of views).

Have the best policies.

Not really.

Liberals always have false economies.

They cut but don’t understand they shift the cost somewhere else.

I’m all for effect use of money and not wasting resources but the Libs are pretty short sighted.
Case in point - closing the westrail train yards (as well as several other government maintenance yards)

Those yards trained bulk apprentices as boilermakers fitters and electricians - to a very high standard

Now they are a massive hole in our trained worker capacity as private companies have no interest in training kids in anywhere near the numbers they did.

So instead they 457 experienced workers in - our kids dont get apprenticeships and instead are harassed by centrelink for not having jobs and are forced in to low paying no future jobs.

Instead of high paid workers paying high tax dollars and contributing big money into the economy we have foreign workers sending money home and kids on the dole or low paid work.

Short term thinking that once again lead to long term loss

Case in point - closing the westrail train yards (as well as several other government maintenance yards)

Those yards trained bulk apprentices as boilermakers fitters and electricians - to a very high standard

Now they are a massive hole in our trained worker capacity as private companies have no interest in training kids in anywhere near the numbers they did.

So instead they 457 experienced workers in - our kids dont get apprenticeships and instead are harassed by centrelink for not having jobs and are forced in to low paying no future jobs.

Instead of high paid workers paying high tax dollars and contributing big money into the economy we have foreign workers sending money home and kids on the dole or low paid work.

Short term thinking that once again lead to long term loss
One of major reasons I hate the pricks.

Jeff Kennett privatised Victoria Utilities. The result is higher costs to the consumer, infrastructure being run down and apprenticeships stop.

That lead to lack of tradies and now people can’t people in to do small jobs and they pay through the nose.

Liberals are just muppets and totally reckless.

They seriously mismanage the economy.

Why the Liberals lose so badly?

Liberals wanted to stop coal mining. Massive agenda. Sure that doesn’t explain the whole result but that decision lost them a few seats.

COVID was part of the reason as well. In crisis Australian votes don’t vote out governments. Too much change.

Liberals going for a leader that was young and untested. Australians don’t like risk.

Mcgowan closing the border and the East ie Palmer and Liberal Feds challenging them in the High court was political suicide.

WA doesn’t like outsiders telling them what to do.

Those factors were a perfect storm for the Liberals.
Coal mining didn't lose them seats. I've literally never heard it even mentioned.

On moto g(6) plus using BigFooty.com mobile app

Legislative Council Update! Greens have fallen behind Labor in South Metro to a point where they won't get a seat there - seat goes to ALP instead (with a reasonably safe margin over No Vaccines who haven't harvested enough preferences).

If that result holds, Greens will have NO REPRESENTATION in the WA parliament. That's despite about 6.9% of the statewide LA vote and being comfortably the third highest vote-winner in all three Metro regions and also a solid 4th or 5th in the rural regions.

Marijuana and Daylight Savings still look strong - there's one exclusion where Daylight is only ahead of Christians and No Vacc by about 20 votes (out of about 450-500 for each of the 3 parties) and if Daylight loses that margin, the seat completely opens up depending on how the preferences change. 67% counted so far.

Legalise Cannabis have a pretty safe run unless ALP and Libs/Nats both gain about 1000 votes (about 1%) on the combined minor and micros. 83% counted so far.

Legislative Council Update! Greens have fallen behind Labor in South Metro to a point where they won't get a seat there - seat goes to ALP instead (with a reasonably safe margin over No Vaccines who haven't harvested enough preferences).

If that result holds, Greens will have NO REPRESENTATION in the WA parliament. That's despite about 6.9% of the statewide LA vote and being comfortably the third highest vote-winner in all three Metro regions and also a solid 4th or 5th in the rural regions.

Marijuana and Daylight Savings still look strong - there's one exclusion where Daylight is only ahead of Christians and No Vacc by about 20 votes (out of about 450-500 for each of the 3 parties) and if Daylight loses that margin, the seat completely opens up depending on how the preferences change. 67% counted so far.

Legalise Cannabis have a pretty safe run unless ALP and Libs/Nats both gain about 1000 votes (about 1%) on the combined minor and micros. 83% counted so far.

Imagine being a one-issue political party MP/MLA and turning up to the WA parliament to try to push your agenda. Would you even bother turning up other than to fill in your Super details? Those parties are only relevant when there's a near-balance of power.

If I was them, I'd resign and go back to my day job. It couldn't be less meaningless, surely?

Imagine being a one-issue political party MP/MLA and turning up to the WA parliament to try to push your agenda. Would you even bother turning up other than to fill in your Super details? Those parties are only relevant when there's a near-balance of power.

If I was them, I'd resign and go back to my day job. It couldn't be less meaningless, surely?

The temptation will always be there for them to think they can make a splash, stir up a bit of controversy or buzz and be the next well-known independent.

Nick Xenophon was a single-issue "anti-pokies" independent, and eventually got himself to a point where being SA Premier wasn't unrealistic... so it's possible. Others of various political persuasions have also had sustained political careers as well-known independents (Liz Constable and Janet Woollard spring to mind as WA examples albeit quite different in that they were long-term LA members).

I doubt these independents have the political skills (either the "in-the-public-eye" or "behind-closed-doors" kind) to be the next big thing - so you're probably right.

Take the paycheck, tick the minimum boxes to be a sitting member, and don't give up on your day-job! Assuming the Legalise Marijuana candidate has one :D.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If it's a consolation to the Greens and One Nation, this is a Legislative Council where their vote would not have mattered anyway. Their votes will surge next election because there is no way Labor can maintain a 60% primary vote.

I wish people would stop posting links to sites requiring subscriptions.
Mate it's an extremely easy paywall to get around, can take a couple of goes but just load the page and quickly press stop before it goes to the buy subscription bit.

Anyway...

Smug West Australians who know west is best spell trouble for Morrison
Mark McGowan’s landslide election win is proof of a broad community sentiment that “the Eastern States” have little to offer or teach a contented WA.

Jennifer HewettColumnist
Mar 21, 2021 – 6.05pm

The friendly young hotel receptionist in Western Australia is immediately sympathetic when she learns I live “over East”.
“You have all had such a terrible time there for so long. All the more reason to move back to WA permanently,” she beams. She’s clearly not just talking about the Sydney weather.
The mood of smug confidence about the superiority of life in Western Australia is certainly not confined to Premier Mark McGowan and what is now the overflowing ranks of Labor MPs.
Go to the beach, chill out. Enough said?

It’s boomtime for local tourism and retail in WA. Tourism Australia
McGowan was spectacularly rewarded at the election for his determination to keep the virus out of WA by closing the borders to a state happily coasting along economically on the high tide of iron ore prices. It’s boomtime for local tourism and retail.
This has only intensified the community mood that “the Eastern States” have little to offer or teach a contented WA. Unlike the close linkages between other states, WA’s isolation means public attention beyond its borders focuses more on what is happening to the north – especially China – rather than east across the Nullarbor.
But naturally, it’s still considered necessary to vigilantly guard against attempts by Canberra & Co to treat the West unfairly or criticise its approach. There’s no vaccination possible for that condition.
And after the complete drubbing of the Liberals in the state election, Scott Morrison also appreciates how important it is to avoid many more opportunities for the McGowan government to grandstand about fighting off the depredations of a federal government.
The front-page headline in the local Sunday paper screams “SCOMO BACKS IN WA ON GST”. In slightly smaller type is the explanation: “Prime Minister will not bow to Eastern States whingers.”
It’s also a pointed reminder Morrison has not been to WA for 22 months, far longer than the duration of WA’s closed border regime.
That follows recent complaints by treasurers in other states that the 2018 deal to ensure WA got a “fair share” of GST revenue should be renegotiated. After all, the state is one of the very few in the world running a budget surplus – an estimated $3 billion plus – thanks to the flood of iron ore royalties.
McGowan declared that stamping out any such shocking attempts by states like NSW and Victoria to cheat WA was a key reason to take on the Treasury portfolio himself after the well-regarded Treasurer Ben Wyatt retired from politics. Actually, the Premier taking on the extra workload was never likely to be required to cope with this latest perceived threat to WA sovereignty.
Morrison says firmly he will make sure the GST floor – currently set at 70¢ in the dollar – remains in place for WA. McGowan and Morrison are well aware that what used to be a Coalition stronghold in WA is now yet another problem for the Morrison government.
This goes well beyond the embarrassment of the Liberals being reduced to a laughably irrelevant two seats in a 59-seat state Parliament. It’s more about the Morrison government’s dubious ability to keep its grip on the 11 of 16 federal seats (about to be reduced to 15) at the next federal election.
And the Prime Minister understands the political tests will keep coming. A triumphant McGowan is demanding, for example, an announcement of the much-delayed decision on whether WA or South Australia will be awarded the contract for maintenance work on the navy’s submarines.
Palmer’s High Court challenge
The Premier is “inviting” the Prime Minister West to visit the state’s shipbuilding facilities, saying it is “incomprehensible” that the Commonwealth government continues to avoid making a decision when his state is the obvious choice. (Tell that to the South Australians and their MPs and crossbenchers.)
It’s also a pointed reminder Morrison has not been to WA for 22 months, far longer than the duration of WA’s closed border regime. Nor have most West Australians forgotten that the Morrison government briefly intervened in support of the despised Clive Palmer’s High Court challenge to the shut borders before belatedly realising that maintaining this position was political poison.
The state has now lost its most senior Coalition federal standard bearers like the extremely popular former deputy leader, Julie Bishop, and former finance minister and about-to-be head of the OECD, Mathias Cormann.
The political standing of Attorney-General, Christian Porter, himself a former state Treasurer, has been smashed by the media and community frenzy over an alleged rape 33 years ago.
A defamation action
against the ABC may be his best tactical defence but can’t solve either his or Scott Morrison’s broader problem with women voters. Linda Reynolds, another senior minister from WA, remains on leave with her return prospects even more difficult to manage.
Branch-stacking exercises
Yet the state branch has degenerated into a political embarrassment that can no longer offer either funding or organisational resources to assist a federal election effort.
The two remaining state Liberal MPs are both expected to stand for the leadership (of course!) which will be decided by their seven colleagues in the Legislative Council.
Two of those, Peter Collier and Nick Goiran, are regarded as the party powerbrokers (previously allied with Cormann) who have helped deliver electoral disaster. Goiran, in particular, is associated with branch-stacking exercises dominated by signing up conservative evangelical Christians from local church groups as party members and candidates.
One such candidate had to quit after her conspiracy theories linking 5G and COVID-19 became public, but the party overall suffers from the widespread belief it has drifted far away from middle Australia’s concerns.
Several MPs who lost their seats are saying the same, while the business community is dismayed by the Liberals and impressed by state Labor’s record.
Little wonder McGowan is acting like the cat that got the political cream, confident it will never taste rancid. At least not in WA.

I wish people would stop posting links to sites requiring subscriptions.
Why don't you think the best business journalists in the country deserve to be paid for their content?

I usually would agree with this sentiment.
but paywalled articles on this type of stuff shits me
View attachment 1083810
Same mob that's constantly calling for the ABC to be privatised and accusing the weather bureau of lying. Imagine relying on the Murdoch press for information during an emergency.

If you couldn't get past the wall so easily I'd be tempted to just pay for the AFR, a bit pricy for an average Joe though.

Brother pays for The Australian and sends us the odd financial article from there.

I appreciate paying for quality journalism, and understand the rationale of it, but when posting links to it on BigFooty it means that a substantial amount of posters cannot easily access and read it, and I'd rather not make judgements purely based on the URL or headline. That's my beef - if you want to pay for AFR or the Australian, all power to you.

Imagine being happy that a party with 6% of the LC vote gets locked out, while a party with 0.23% of the vote gets in.

Hopefully this spurs reform of the group voting ticket in the upper house, should have been changed when the Feds made their change too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back