Play Nice Post sanction: Taylor Walker publically apologises for his racial slur

Remove this Banner Ad

Look, it is a good apology, and it seems to have been taken as genuine given that Young was willing to appear in the apology video.

But I really hope that people take notice of what a lot of other Aboriginal people are saying about this - that it's not an isolated one-off issue, it's something they see, hear, and feel on a regular basis.

BTW: you dont think Australia should have a say on who emigrates here?
No. We were lucky enough to be born here, we shouldn't get to decide who else is lucky enough to emigrate here.

Anyone, assuming they won't be a danger to our society, should get to emigrate here. And in most instances, we all have NFI if they will be, so no, we shouldn't get to decide who gets to emigrate here.

I think letting people of colour 'succeed' when they're great at sports is one thing, but theres still a lot of stories about indigenous people being denied taxis, or Sudanese people struggling to even get a job interview.
That's the racism ripple effect which is damaging. Cheering people on for 5 minutes every 4 years doesnt come close to cancelling that out

Got his right whack, hopefully others learn from his misdeeds

The zero tolerance policy on racism is a good policy but should we have zero tolerance on sexual assault and drink driving as well?

I mean what he allegedly said is reprehensible and deserves punishment but where do we draw the line?

I personally think the calls for his head are way too harsh, he f’ed up and will pay for it but we shouldn't kick him to the curb and ruin his life, it's never too late to educate.

There should also be a policy on COVIDIOTS too

for what may well be a one-off mistake.

The problem with that suggestion is that it ignores every previous incident and statement made by the AFL regarding zero tolerance towards racism. That "one off" falls short when Walker saw what happened to Betts & the racial taunts of Goodes.

THREAD WARNING

Thread has been reopened for a continuation of reasonable and sensible discussion & posters who cant follow site rules will find out the hard way.

Racism is an incredibly complicated subject, suggesting that because Australia got behind Peter Bol that racism is not still an issue is ridiculous.

When you dig even slightly beneath the surface you see how racism still filters through everyday life. This doesn’t make us bad people, it will take a lot of work to dismantle it and although a lot of progress has been made there is long way to go, pretending we’re perfect helps no one.

Does that guy actually post on your board or is he just a troll? All I've seen from him are anti vax and borderline racist comments.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Racism is an incredibly complicated subject, suggesting that because Australia got behind Peter Bol that racism is not still an issue is ridiculous.
Completely agree. The appalling racist abuse that prompted Nicky Winmar's jumper lift happened after the careers of players like Farmer, Rioli, the Krakouers and Syd Jackson had well and truly finished.

I'm surprised on why he hasn't been sacked yet. The bloke is in his 30's, played with Eddie Betts who's had a banana thrown at him, played with tons of indigenous players, saw what happened with Adam Goodes, very likely knows about Nicky Winmar - and he still thought spewing filth was alright? No amount of education is gonna help someone like that.

Just find it a bit odd Tex is leaning into the “education” angle

He’s been the leader of a football club, these guys are educated on this stuff all the time, him being captain more than most

Has he just been ignoring all of this until now?

This

WhT possible education could you need to not drop a racist insult at someone

He’s been the leader of a football club, these guys are educated on this stuff all the time, him being captain more than most

what else can he say / do?

He's ****ed up - nothing he says or do will sound contrite to those who don't want to believe him - I get that he had to say/do something but people picking it apart and suggesting better responses are pissing in the wind - nothing he would have done would clean this up in any sense

I'm not trying to defend him here either - I'm ambivalent about whether he pulls a Crows jumper on again - whether he does or not he's tarnished his legacy either way and I guess really that's the biggest punishment for him

This I agree with. He's not 21, it's hardly as though he hasn't had years playing with Betts, Cameron and the like.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back