Was the 1970 Carlton v Collingwood Grand Final the greatest grand final in VFL/AFL history?

Remove this Banner Ad

Pft, no. After Peter McKenna got injured in the second quarter, Collingwood had no chance. At least he managed to kick 6 goals in those 2 quarters:eek:

I hate to say it, but as a game, it stands alone.

The best games in our sport are when a team comes back from a large deficit or wins as an underdog with injuries or players missing.

89 wouldve taken the prize if Geelong would have actually won, but they were a far inferior side to Hawthorn and only got so close due to a mass of injuries to the hawks.

Of the older GF's, 58 stands out as a possible contender, but due to its age not many can tell the full story, as 1970 has such folklore to it now.

I'm not sure what was exciting about the '89 GF. Hawthorn led by 40 points at quarter time, 37 points at half time & 26 points at three quarter time. The final margin might have been 6 points, but Geelong didn't get that close until inside the last minute of play when Cameron kicked his second goal. When the ball returned to the centre for the centre bounce, Hawthorn basically sat on the ball & made sure the ball didn't go anywhere, remembering that back then the clock didn't automatically stop when the umpires called for a ball up. Umpires actually had to blow time off, which they didn't always do in those days. This made it very easy to kill the last 30-40 seconds. Geelong never actually had a chance of winning the match.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was the 1970 Grand Final between Carlton & Collingwood the greatest grand final ever in VFL/AFL history?
i would say yes it was a great comeback, it had it all jezza's mark.. hopkins 4 goals after half time and the way the match turned around at half time ... and saying that geel haw 1989 was a battle i would pay to see no probs

I'm not sure what was exciting about the '89 GF. Hawthorn led by 40 points at quarter time, 37 points at half time & 26 points at three quarter time. The final margin might have been 6 points, but Geelong didn't get that close until inside the last minute of play when Cameron kicked his second goal. When the ball returned to the centre for the centre bounce, Hawthorn basically sat on the ball & made sure the ball didn't go anywhere, remembering that back then the clock didn't automatically stop when the umpires called for a ball up. Umpires actually had to blow time off, which they didn't always do in those days. This made it very easy to kill the last 30-40 seconds. Geelong never actually had a chance of winning the match.

Didn't Collingwood lead the 1970 GF by 40 odd at half time?

There's more to making a football game good than just how 'exciting' it is.

Didn't Collingwood lead the 1970 GF by 40 odd at half time?

44 points to be exact, but Carlton actually hit the lead in the 3rd quarter before some late goals by Collingwood gave them a 17 point lead at 3 quarter time. The last quarter was anyone's game until goals by Crosswell & Jesaulenko gave Carlton its 2 kick lead late in the game. In contrast, Geelong never looked like winning the '89 GF. It was only because Hawthorn tired (injuries to Brereton & Dipper didn't help) late in the game that the final result flattered Geelong.

There is not much good about a game in which only one team ever really had a chance of winning.

Not necessarily. 03 and 07 were all great grand finals to watch. It was awesome watching both sides annihilate their opposition on the day. I'm sure most people would have enjoyed 03 a lot more than 05/06.

And you must've felt the same way in 95. Watching the Blues smash Geelong on the way to being dubbed the greatest team ever (back then).

In fact I generally prefer watching blowouts because you get to see one teams game plan come together and really showcase their talents. Except of course when Richmond are on the receiving end, which is most of the time.

Not necessarily. 03 and 07 were all great grand finals to watch. It was awesome watching both sides annihilate their opposition on the day. I'm sure most people would have enjoyed 03 a lot more than 05/06.

And you must've felt the same way in 95. Watching the Blues smash Geelong on the way to being dubbed the greatest team ever (back then).

In fact I generally prefer watching blowouts because you get to see one teams game plan come together and really showcase their talents. Except of course when Richmond are on the receiving end, which is most of the time.

I don't disagree with any of this, but great GFs aren't those where there are blowouts (unless your team is on the right side of the blowout). The great GFs tend to be those where 2 very good teams go at it 'hammer & tongs', while playing top class football (that rules out 2005), with both teams having an opportunity to win the game, for most of the game.

The '03 GF was good from the point of view of Brisbane playing some quality football, but underwhelming when you look at the insipid effort put up by Collingwood. Rhyce Shaw's embarrassment, at the hands of Lynch, is probably the only part of the game many people would remember.

'07 will only be remembered for how embarrassing Port were. That GF has nothing redeeming about it, despite how well Geelong played, because their competition did not turn up to play. The fact that Port was even in the GF was an indictment on the other 14 clubs in the competition.

I don't disagree with any of this, but great GFs aren't those where there are blowouts (unless your team is on the right side of the blowout). The great GFs tend to be those where 2 very good teams go at it 'hammer & tongs', while playing top class football (that rules out 2005), with both teams having an opportunity to win the game, for most of the game.

The '03 GF was good from the point of view of Brisbane playing some quality football, but underwhelming when you look at the insipid effort put up by Collingwood. Rhyce Shaw's embarrassment, at the hands of Lynch, is probably the only part of the game many people would remember.

'07 will only be remembered for how embarrassing Port were. That GF has nothing redeeming about it, despite how well Geelong played, because their competition did not turn up to play. The fact that Port was even in the GF was an indictment on the other 14 clubs in the competition.

Your probably right in regards to grand finals. However for me home and away games are much more enjoyable when it's a blowout.

Watching the 1970 Grand Final on video, I was amazed to hear when the then Channel Seven commentator Mike Williamson said during the commentary that the grand final was being shown 'live' in Sydney, Adelaide, Perth and Canberra (there was no such thing as a 'network' in those days, more like indvidual stations in each capital city), but the 'replay' to be seen later that night was shown to Victoria and Tasmania. It is hard to believe that despite the crowd of 121,696 the then VFL wouldn't allow a live telecast to be shown to Victoria. It wasn't until 1977 when the VFL finally allowed a Australia-wide live telecast of the grand final that still continues today.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back