We have Voss, now we have the Assistants...

Remove this Banner Ad

We have Voss, so now who will be the Assistants? Seems like McQualter is still contracted. Scarlett taking time out... We have Power. So, who else?
Tapping?
Lappin?
Black?
Chaplin?
Director of Coaching? (Is this needed?)
Director of Coaching absolutely needed.
Just look at Carlton 2016-17 with Neill Craig compared to 2018-19 without him....

Please get a real director of coaching with previous experience coaching at the top level ASAP!

Just look at Carlton 2016-17 with Neill Craig compared to 2018-19 without him....

Please get a real director of coaching with previous experience coaching at the top level ASAP!
Aaron Greaves is effectively Director of Coaching.
"Coaching and innovation manager"
Just not the ex-senior-coach mentor you're describing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well done - another excellent addition.

This quote from the North article (2018) explains why it's a great appointment in a nutshell.

"Greaves built and implemented a cutting edge learning program at the Power, to assist players and coaches learn on-field strategies."

Over the past two regimes (at least), our players have clearly not understood or been able to implement our game plan (or lack of). With a brand new team and plan to be explored and implemented in a matter of months, having extra help on board to ensure the message is simple; understood clearly by all players and coaches; and easily distilled to both a team, position (backs, mids, forwards) and individual role level is absolutely key.

Most if not all of our new coaches have supposedly got great communication chops and relationship-building nous.

So as long as we develop a plan that has buy in from every single player and coach on the books; and 'fits' with our list strengths, then we're a good chance to be competitive and win games from the get go in 2022.

I was wondering who else may have been employed. Have to admit I hadn't heard of Aaron Greaves before this, but from what I read, seems like an excellent addition. Footy department quietly going about business. Well done, and welcome to Carlton, Aaron.

I was wondering who else may have been employed. Have to admit I hadn't heard of Aaron Greaves before this, but from what I read, seems like an excellent addition. Footy department quietly going about business. Well done, and welcome to Carlton, Aaron.
I think most importantly having worked at Port when Voss was there, Voss would know exactly how he goes about it, and that he's bringing relevant attributes to the team.

Bringing some IP from the Umpires could be really insightful. We often appear to have landed on the 'wrong side of the coin' when it comes to game-day calls. That happens for most clubs on different days, granted.

But having an insider's understanding of how they officiate and adapting that knowledge to our benefit could give us a small bump in fortunes.

Aaron Greaves is effectively Director of Coaching.
"Coaching and innovation manager"
Just not the ex-senior-coach mentor you're describing.
hope that wont be an issue.
Why not move heaven and earth to get an ex senior coach while some are still available?

no comparison of needs. Bolton needed a neil craig. Teague needed one as well but only got interstate woosha via zoom and too late.
Vos to me doesnt need his hand held this time around. he is a smart man and will learn from his first stint as coach.

Whats more important is to surround Vos with highly competent assistants. We have done this. His 2 predecessors did not get this support unfortunately.

no comparison of needs. Bolton needed a neil craig. Teague needed one as well but only got interstate woosha via zoom and too late.
Vos to me doesnt need his hand held this time around. he is a smart man and will learn from his first stint as coach.

Whats more important is to surround Vos with highly competent assistants. We have done this. His 2 predecessors did not get this support unfortunately.
Alot of hopeful optimism in that post based on not much.
hope youare right

I like this move.
While I freely admit to also never having heard of Greaves, the fact that someone has been appointed to oversee the communication between coaches and players is a massive step in the right direction. It was shocking to hear reports that last season there were players who didn’t understand the gameplan, had issues with selection integrity and basically seemed to come to games unmotivated and/or underprepared - but as fans we could all see signs of it week after week.
While you’d think that skilful communication is probably a prerequisite as a coach, last year alone is proof that it should not be assumed.
I already get the feeling that Voss has more ability in this area (as well as the small snippets I’ve heard from the assistants), but having someone there to ensure the messages are being heard is a good thing IMO.

Alot of hopeful optimism in that post based on not much.
hope youare right

Not going to apologise for being optimistic.
My point is that if you drill down into the experience of Vos v BB and DT there is a vast difference. The most obvious one being that Vos has been a senior coach IIRC for 5 years at Brisbane. IMO he will learn a lot from that. You think he hasnt - fair enough- lets see if he needs a Neil Craig. But there seems a core group on BF that are demanding a Neil Craig to ease their anxiety,based simply on the 2 relatively inexperienced coaching predecessors . How many of the premiership winning senior coaches had a Neil Craig beside them when they started?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back