We need a reserves side!!

Remove this Banner Ad

May 17, 2005
fremantle
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
since 2001 excluding 2004 and 2008(but then the hawks have all their players at the boxhill hawks)
all the premiership sides have their own reserves side.

a case in point is mitch morton who spent most of the season in reserves working on his defensive skills(kicked over 70 goals in res). the rest is history.

I hear the cats have a good crop in the reserves who won the 2012 VFL flag and being inducted into the geelong way.

since 2001 excluding 2004 and 2008(but then the hawks have all their players at the boxhill hawks)
all the premiership sides have their own reserves side.

a case in point is mitch morton who spent most of the season in reserves working on his defensive skills(kicked over 70 goals in res). the rest is history.

I hear the cats have a good crop in the reserves who won the 2012 VFL flag and being inducted into the geelong way.
excluding 2006 too as WCE won that one. Also, the standard of the competition the Swans play really isn't helpful to them, they would be better off splitting them up and having their players play against each other.

Brisbane Lions won the NEAFL.. by 69 points. Swans Reserves finished 2nd in the East conference with a % of 196.

Thought the B plan (versus WAFL reserve) was reserves comp between WA and SA teams.

Playing with teammates to team structures is probably more important than the strength of the opposition players you are playing against. You play a role in the reserves which matches your role if you get called up to the AFL side.

Thought the B plan (versus WAFL reserve) was reserves comp between WA and SA teams.

Playing with teammates to team structures is probably more important than the strength of the opposition players you are playing against. You play a role in the reserves which matches your role if you get called up to the AFL side.
But when you step up to the league team, the majority of those players you have never played with or didn't play with the week before.. so playing with team mates isn't worth it. Structures sure, but the ability to obey structures is more important and that happens at any level.

But when you step up to the league team, the majority of those players you have never played with or didn't play with the week before.. so playing with team mates isn't worth it. Structures sure, but the ability to obey structures is more important and that happens at any level.

Yeh teamates is less so although there will always be regular AFL guys coming back from injury via the reserves. Obeying structures is much easier when you are playing to them each weekend as practice. Training in the AFL structures during the week/pres-season and then playing to a different role and structure in the WAFL at present which bears little resemblance to the AFL role you are looking to play cannot be helpful to train the guys. Indecision from players about how to approach each situation is what you are trying to get rid of as quickly as possible, a reserves team will do that quicker.

Look, it all sounds so practical (though I'm not really convinced it makes a speck of diff). But in the end, if that's what Freo and Eagirls think they need then they just better come up with a solution that doesn't stuff the WAFL. And the only way they can do that is without the WAFL cos I'm pretty sure they aren't gonna bend over and apply the KY jelly for our AFL teams again.

Yep WAFL unlikely to agree to any reserves comp if it requires WAFL clubs to agree so Freo and WC were just looking at plan B to take their players out of the WAFL entirely and just play a reserves comp with WA and SA AFL teams. WAFL clubs will probably just try to delay any final decision either way as long as possible.

Yeh teamates is less so although there will always be regular AFL guys coming back from injury via the reserves. Obeying structures is much easier when you are playing to them each weekend as practice. Training in the AFL structures during the week/pres-season and then playing to a different role and structure in the WAFL at present which bears little resemblance to the AFL role you are looking to play cannot be helpful to train the guys. Indecision from players about how to approach each situation is what you are trying to get rid of as quickly as possible, a reserves team will do that quicker.
Exactly. The dockers should/are working with egirls, crows and port to have own comp- keep away from the WAFl. I think the proposal also might included side/s from NT. need it sooner than later. I think with AFL taking over Port licence should be going thru them for assistance.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So of the 18 sides in the AFL, 13 have dedicated reserves sides, with north having 2 teams to filter players into. Adelaide finished second and lost in the prelim, without a reserves side. Us and the Eagles finished in the top 6 without a reserves side. I fail to see how they are going to make our players that much better. You can equally use the argument that WB, Melbourne etc have reserves sides and are s**t and have been for a while. When you have 72% of teams with a reserves side, it makes it a high possibility that the GF will end up between atleast one of those sides.

To help with player development is the main reason.
Also guys that come to freo from over east, train all the time with the freo boys.
Then once a week during footy season go play for a WAFL team with guys they dont know, gameplans and structures they dont know.
Also some of the WAFL guys may be jealous that these guys have an AFL contract, they barely know the guy so wont give them the ball.

Must suck for those young guys not getting games for Freo and makes them want to return back east.
Get them playing in a freo reserves side and it will massively help development, they wont feel so left out and will be playing with teammates every week.

Also helps with player selection for players injured or in poor form.
Coaches only need to go to the 1 game to find a suitable replacement and those players will already understand structures and gameplan, so can step straight in much easier.

Its a no brainer that having a reserves side will massively help Freo.
Might not help WAFL.

Sure teams are doing fine without reserves side, but maybe if they had a reserves side they could of been better.

Will destroy the WAFL not hurt it

Little boxes on the hillside seems to be the argument

Tearing the fabric of the local game ain't good on the chance it may help

WAFC owns it - suck it up bitches (Jessie Pinkman style)

Other random comments soon available on DVD and iTunes.

Will destroy the WAFL not hurt it

Little boxes on the hillside seems to be the argument

Tearing the fabric of the local game ain't good on the chance it may help

WAFC owns it - suck it up bitches (Jessie Pinkman style)

Other random comments soon available on DVD and iTunes.

Can you explain exactly how you think the 2 main scenarios being touted (reserves sides playing wafl, or playing separate comp against other AFL reserves) would destroy the wafl?

I concede that there is potential in the first scenario for Freo/Eagles reserves teams to smash wafl opponents once they are running properly, but with the 2nd scenario (reserves playing other afl reserves) are you really saying the Freo/Eagles non best 22, developing and returning from injury players are the reason wafl fans go to games?

In either scenario there would be several players coming from the wafl to make up the required list numbers to run the reserves team, which would result in a loss of some talent. No doubt a player would definitely prefer to be a top-up player on an afl reserves list and learn from the best coaching, training, enjoy the best facilities and have a stronger chance of getting picked up by either that afl team or another as they are actually "in the afl system".

I dont think it will hurt WAFL one bit.
Its already pretty much dead.
Might see a few clubs lose memberships but overall the WAFL will get more spectators and sponsorship = $$$

A freo and eagles reserve side entering WAFL will take fans away from some clubs but will bring alot more fans to the games each week.
Plenty of Freo supporters will go see the reserves side play to see the young talent we have coming through.
Same for eagles.
Crowd numbers each week for WAFL games will be up meaning more $$$ for WAFC.
They wont dominate, just like most our players currently playing WAFL dont dominate games.
It will be mostly youngsters and older guys not in best 22 playing in reserves.
It will create more interest in WAFL.

Some of the reasoning in this thread for these AFL reserves teams are deadset laughable. Bigger crowds will come, turn it up WAFL attendances during the disgraceful host club era were the lowest since the early 1900's & have taken until the last 5 years to reach the best numbers since 94 (the year before Freo entered the AFL). To change the whole WAFL system & 130 years of history just in the hope spuds like Wilson-King, Roberts, Hamp or Papertalk might improve 1% defies logic! Leave as is or piss off to the VFL!

Some of the reasoning in this thread for these AFL reserves teams are deadset laughable. Bigger crowds will come, turn it up WAFL attendances during the disgraceful host club era were the lowest since the early 1900's & have taken until the last 5 years to reach the best numbers since 94 (the year before Freo entered the AFL). To change the whole WAFL system & 130 years of history just in the hope spuds like Wilson-King, Roberts, Hamp or Papertalk might improve 1% defies logic! Leave as is or piss off to the VFL!

You don't provide any logical argument - on the one hand you say the "reserves" players are spuds, on the other you are obviously worried it will destroy wafl. History cannot be changed - it is failure to adjust to changed times that results in things becoming irrelevant and actually becoming disrespectful to their own history, often because the current incumbents want so much to continue and be seen to be relevant in that historical tradition - why do many elite sportsmen prefer to retire near the top than dwindle away becoming more average and lower grade as they decline - because they want to be remembered for their greatness, not for their failing years.

I have been a very long term wafl supporter but this is fading in recent years and honestly people should accept that the wafl is not what it once was - it is a "B" grade competition now with the AFL and no image massaging or pretending can change that - everyone knows it, even those that want it to be otherwise.

Reserves teams in the WAFL (not aligned teams which split allegiance and become too strong) who play each week should attract reasonable crowds from the AFL supporters not presently going to the WAFL games normally. I never went to watch South Freo games when they were aligned because I was too much of an East Freo supporter and I didn't like the way it skewed the competition as well. Since then I normally get to a couple of EF WAFL games a year when time permits.

System I would use is that the WAFL expands by two and the two reserves teams always play away (revenue for WAFL clubs from AFL followers). Points are awarded to the WAFL clubs if they can win against the reserve team (which will keep the WAFL players keen) but the reserves teams either do not get points or their ladder position is just ignored when it comes finals time.

Reserves teams in the WAFL (not aligned teams which split allegiance and become too strong) who play each week should attract reasonable crowds from the AFL supporters not presently going to the WAFL games normally. I never went to watch South Freo games when they were aligned because I was too much of an East Freo supporter and I didn't like the way it skewed the competition as well. Since then I normally get to a couple of EF WAFL games a year when time permits.

System I would use is that the WAFL expands by two and the two reserves teams always play away (revenue for WAFL clubs from AFL followers). Points are awarded to the WAFL clubs if they can win against the reserve team (which will keep the WAFL players keen) but the reserves teams either do not get points or their ladder position is just ignored when it comes finals time.

This sounds like avery good idea. Sides like swans , pies, cats , lions, all use this to get their players all on the same game plan. May be the top up players should be only from the 18s which is how the NEAFL teams do it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back