Roast We need to talk about Lachie

Remove this Banner Ad

Just like butters , classic hinkley mentality
I don’t think any player should be judged u til Hinkley is gone. Except Lycett.

Butters was great until he was told to pull his head in.

Jones Just needs to go back to the sanfl and focus on sticking in one position. One of the problems he has had throughout his career is that he has played in multiple diffrent positions. He started as a defender, then went foward, and now they're trying him mid. If he can focus on playing one role, one position for a few months I think he will improve considerably.

He was drafted as a peel off defender, where he could take a strong intercept mark and pressure the forwards with his tackling presence.

Swap him for DBJ or Farrell, and I'm sure the defense will look much better.

If he can't get his touch right - i.e. stop fumbling and take the ball cleanly - then there won't be a role for him in the forward or backline, or midfield. Every time he went near it in the second half on Saturday night involved a fumble. The goal-line fumble being the most obvious, but not only, example of this.

I can't recall too many players who were naturally multi-grab, fumbly types, improving that skill enough to make very good AFL players.

Wouldn't hurt for him to go back to the 2's (development is rarely linear) and spend some time in the middle developing his craft and skills. Sinn, Jones and Mead in the centre will also reinforce the 2's hopefully.

He definitely needs work with one on one. He doesn't seem to get that you don't need to go at everything at full speed and then dish off in 0.2 seconds. Slowing down when you've space to get the ball and taking that second or two, if it's there, to assess the best option are a large part of his issues, IMO. Something a decent coach would have worked with him on a lot by now.

He definitely needs work with one on one. He doesn't seem to get that you don't need to go at everything at full speed and then dish off in 0.2 seconds. Slowing down when you've space to get the ball and taking that second or two, if it's there, to assess the best option are a large part of his issues, IMO. Something a decent coach would have worked with him on a lot by now.
Blight said that about JHF as well, you don't need to go flat out all the time, comes with time and instruction.

I think we've proven that we can't coach composure or calmness, even our best players don't have that.

Todd Marshall has taught me that making judgements on players in the current Hinkley system is akin to making blind judgements. I have no faith at all that:
A) my expectations are in any way aligned with what he's being asked to do
B) he has has a support system around him to coach and develop his skills
C) he isn't being hobbled by the system or lack thereof around him
D) he's motivated

If I had some confidence in any of the above I'd be quicker to judge. We just have too many players that look amazing and then over time turn into ineffectual spuds for it to be all on the individual.

Saw this kid as a junior then SANFL league, another one that has gone backwards, rushed in without proper dev , typical Hinkley sugar hit. Oh he luvs playing the kids , to deflect and give the public a new toy. So many of our bright young talents have been rushed in and burnt out without having time to dev properly. I worry that JHF is also going to fall foul of this as well. A 19yr old having to hold up our midfield all ready.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Saw this kid as a junior then SANFL league, another one that has gone backwards, rushed in without proper dev , typical Hinkley sugar hit. Oh he luvs playing the kids , to deflect and give the public a new toy. So many of our bright young talents have been rushed in and burnt out without having time to dev properly. I worry that JHF is also going to fall foul of this as well. A 19yr old having to hold up our midfield all ready.
Great post. Jones was nowhere near ready for AFL when he arrived.

Jones is certainly a player who is not cutting it atm where his future lies i dont know but i do know when hinkley is gone his chances of development will increase.

Took a very short step right before the end of the showdown and rightly copped it from ...Soligo

I can forgive the fumbles if he shows improvement in that area but that squib was Strike 1 for me.

Needs to work on his hands. Good physical attributes but unless you're a genius, I don't think it's great to have someone without a well defined role. He's not clean enough to play in defence so i'm guessing he should probably be playing as a pressure forward in the SPP mould. SPP has excellent hands and vision though.

Crying out to be settled down as a halfback for good.

Moving him here, there and everywhere like he’s Paul Stewart ain’t it

Crying out to be settled down as a halfback for good.

Moving him here, there and everywhere like he’s Paul Stewart ain’t it

Halfbacks can't be fumbly though because a bad fumble is a goal conceded. At least in the forwardline his mistakes might result in some chaos ball and not a brutal goal against the flow of play.

He just needs to spend an hour a day on the footy equivalent of a ball machine or one of those rebounding trampoline thingos. Hands can be trained. I'm expecting he's struggling with the pace of the game and spending it before he has it quite a lot as well.

Halfbacks can't be fumbly though because a bad fumble is a goal conceded. At least in the forwardline his mistakes might result in some chaos ball and not a brutal goal against the flow of play.

He just needs to spend an hour a day on the footy equivalent of a ball machine or one of those rebounding trampoline thingos. Hands can be trained. I'm expecting he's struggling with the pace of the game and spending it before he has it quite a lot as well.

I agree with that if it’s a permanent flaw, but he just looks so unsettled and jumpy out there. Like he’s bursting to try too hard to justify his place. ‘Spent it before he had it’, etc.

One thing’s for sure, if a first round pick can’t nail down a first team role in one of the easiest positions on the ground, both player and club are in trouble.

If he had've been developed in the role he was drafted in he would be gunning for Jonas's spot. Flexi defender who can play small or third tall, hard as nails and good leap and mark. The fact he can hoof it a mile would be an upgrade too.

Unfortunately though he has had a poor run with injury, and when he has been fit they've thrown him around the park to
a) avoid the elephant in the room that the captain is just not good enough these days
b) hide from the fact that at the Hinkley-Bassett school of defending, a third tall defender is expected to take the first or second tall forward, as any actual KPDs on the list are shipped off to other clubs for chump change.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back