Opinion We weren't tough enough, hard enough for long enough (2014) - Now its we weren't smart enough, skilled enough and tough enough

Remove this Banner Ad

The title of the book for the Ken Hinkley era - which is also directed at the coach.

We just weren't hard enough and tough enough and SMART ENOUGH for long enough.

The title of the book for the Ken Hinkley era - which is also directed at the coach.

We just weren't hard enough and tough enough and SMART ENOUGH for long enough.

For years we have been screaming for a wrestling coach, a kicking coach .

This has been coming from the bleachers from people who aren’t experts but can tell when something’s broken and needs fixing.

Why can’t so called experts see this s**t until it’s to late?

Our game plan in 2013/14 was attack the corridor at all cost , be brave and never give in.

Now with a better list it’s kick along the boundary to our centerman leave 14 in the defensive 50 to defend our s**t skills.

If we keep sailing this rudderless ship we will be in 2010 by mid next year with the for sale sign up ready to be shipped to tassie.

This is the reality we are facing.

I am currently reading "I Am Ozzy", the autobiography of Ozzy Osbourne, or at least what he can remember of it. You know who would be a great coach? Sharon Osbourne. She could turn a frog into Russell Ebert just by telling him he could do it.

Well maybe not, but what we need is someone to tell the team that they can win. I'm not talking about a psychologist, they don't need to be told what someone has read in a book. Someone who can motivate like John Cahill, Stephen Williams, Ron Barassi.

I am currently reading "I Am Ozzy", the autobiography of Ozzy Osbourne, or at least what he can remember of it. You know who would be a great coach? Sharon Osbourne. She could turn a frog into Russell Ebert just by telling him he could do it.

Well maybe not, but what we need is someone to tell the team that they can win. I'm not talking about a psychologist, they don't need to be told what someone has read in a book. Someone who can motivate like John Cahill, Stephen Williams, Ron Barassi.

What we need is Adolf Hitler, he'll turn us around.

For years we have been screaming for a wrestling coach, a kicking coach .

This has been coming from the bleachers from people who aren’t experts but can tell when something’s broken and needs fixing.

Why can’t so called experts see this s**t until it’s to late?

Our game plan in 2013/14 was attack the corridor at all cost , be brave and never give in.

Now with a better list it’s kick along the boundary to our centerman leave 14 in the defensive 50 to defend our s**t skills.

If we keep sailing this rudderless ship we will be in 2010 by mid next year with the for sale sign up ready to be shipped to tassie.

This is the reality we are facing.
Mates protect mates. people protect their little empires. people find it hard to admit they are wrong.

Its why Hardwick may well enter the list of great coaches. I put this in the GF gameday thread.

Hardwick came out during the season, during September, before the GF and post the GF has said he was the problem and he needed to change. From last Thursday after his presser.

http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/2017/09/28/revitalised-hardwick-sets-tone-tigers
Richmond coach Damien Hardwick knew he needed to change .........A fierce competitor in his playing days who was no stranger to the tribunal, Hardwick was becoming his own worst enemy as a coach. As the pressure on his job intensified, Hardwick closed himself off from the world. The self-confessed control freak stopped listening to those around him. He intensified his already punishing workload. His "happy-go-lucky" demeanour darkened.

"The reality was, I was the biggest problem of all," Hardwick later reflected. "That was the hardest self-reflection to come up with but it was certainly the truest one."

Hardwick reflects upon the past year as a period in which he learned to let go. The 45-year-old delegated responsibilities, made himself more open to advice and invited the Tigers to play with "childlike" freedom...........Hardwick also sought to be more emotionally available to players - even if it meant becoming something of a sensitive new-age guy. "He's probably shown more of his personality from a vulnerability perspective, and allowed us to be vulnerable at the same time," Tigers fullback Alex Rance said. "It creates that deeper connection. "We never had a doubt that he cared for us, it was just more about us being able to show that we cared back and feeling appreciated for that."

History will look kindly upon chief executive Brendon Gale and club president Peggy O'Neal if the Tigers manage to cap off their remarkable year with victory over Adelaide in Saturday's grand final. Few would have blamed the Tigers powerbrokers for deciding during the off-season that Hardwick, whose contract was due to expire at the end of 2018, was no longer the right man for the job.

Instead they rebuilt around him, appointing highly-respected administrator and former Richmond premiership player Neil Balme as football boss and tapping Justin Leppitsch and Blake Caracella as assistant coaches."Plenty of people were making noise last year about the changes they needed to make," Tigers great Matthew Richardson said. "They went away and they had a good look at things. They made a few changes here and there but they backed Damien Hardwick in and they've been vindicated now.

At the heart of the decision was an unwavering belief that Hardwick had the talent and temperament to right the ship. "He's a man of great character and great values, and someone who puts the club above personal ambition," O'Neal said after the Tigers defeated Greater Western Sydney in last weekend's preliminary final. "The players have always adored him. But I think he's understood (the need to) change the game plan. "He's been there for eight years now, so it was 'let's make it fun to play football again'. "That's what he's told me, and maybe that's what he thinks that as an outsider, I would understand. But you can see the belief that they have in each other, and I think that comes from the coach setting the tone."....................... "To be able to lift players and get them to be able to play again, to say 'that was one game - let's move on'. "They're playing happy, joyful football ... they play for their coach."
https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/thre...-game-reactions.1178073/page-68#post-52781184

Nelson Mandela was in Sydney a week or so before the Sydney Olympics in 2000 and attended a Sydney University seminar called "What Makes a Champion" put on by Professor Alan Snyder of the Centre for the Mind. Also speaking was Sir Edmund Hillary, Nobel prize winning medical research Peter Doherty, Herb Elliot and others. Nelson said the following about change which has always stuck with me.

"One of the most difficult things is not so much to change society, but to change ourselves. Only when you can overcome the difficulty of changing yourself can you change the people around you."

Dimma did a Nelson and had the courage to change himself, so that he could help change others. Can Ken do that? I don't know, but I hope he can. But we wont know and it will all be in the background for us, just like it was for the average Richmond fan this season. We have to wait and see what happens on field, because we wont be in the inner sanctum to see if that change occurs.

That's all about great leadership.

F2D_200.jpg

On Sunday I looked up this thread because I remember that in the opening post a few days after we lost the 2014 PF, I said if we can harness what Clarko did out of losing a close PF to Collingwood in 2011, then we can win a flag in the next couple of years. That went really well didn't it?

Sunday night I was tempted to start a new thread titled We weren't smart enough, skilled enough and tough enough and give lots of examples where we did dumb s**t - Todd Marshall getting the ball touched from a set shot from 20m out, 3 players doing the see ball get ball play when Bulldogs didn't and their 1 player got it out to 2 free players, the useless shots on goal by Dixon, Gray, the 50 soft efforts in the first quarter etc.

I've decided to change the title to add my extra title to the existing one.

I also looked up when I first wrote we need to send them off for the first month of preseason training to train with the SAS, or US Navy Seals, or Mossad or the Russian elite forces, so they can learn about pushing their bodies to the extreme, doing it tough, and it was 27 April 2011 the day after we lost to the Gold Coast and I had talked to Russell Ebert after the game at The Hangar/Shed. I was thinking the same thing on Sunday, we need to get these guys trained up by elite forces, break them down and rebuild them mentally and to a lesser extent physically, because we are shot and we will be for years unless somebody does something about this *in disaster.

Last night I watched SAS Australia and it just confirmed all my thoughts about elite forces training after years of talking to a few blokes who have been through these courses and having read several books about the British and Australian SAS as well as having watched docos about other elite forces.

Now I know its changed for TV and non soldiers and its edited in a certain way for dramatic effect, but it opens a big window in to the reality of what they do to find out who really is elite and the best of the best.

Last night Alicia Molik copped an absolute bollocking for ******* up and not listening and even though she completed her task, her small lapse of judgement and showboating saw her cop it and caused the rest of the group to be punished for her * up.

Below is a small bit of the segment.

Unfortunately there is only a GIF of when she was interrogated, but they drilled into her, asked her what she does / did, she responded with tennis coach and mentor, then put it on her would she want her students and mentees to * up like she did? She said no, Ant Middleton asks her then why did she do it. She struggled to answer. It was a deliberate psychological shot across the bow to wake her up and get inside her head.

They also interrogated Sam Burgess as they were surprised such a big strong bloke had performed so poorly in the first test being exposed to gas and having to think and concentrate and listen to instructions under stress. They looked up his history on the net re playing in a winning GF with South Sydney with a broken cheekbone for most of the game, and his problems at the end of his career. They wanted to test how honest he was and if he would hide stuff. He didn't, he was bloody honest and Ant Middleton admitted to him when he left the SAS he couldn't handle life like Sam couldn't and he ended up in jail. It was another psychological test, find out where his strengths and weaknesses were so they can see how much ego he still has, if he was prepared to be brutally honest and if he really wanted to do something to help himself or just talk about doing it.

Could anyone see nice flakey Hinkley doing something like Ant Middleton does to Alicia Molik say 3 to 5 minutes into the game, getting out of his comfort zone storming out of the box going down to the ground and getting stuck into his midfielders and other players for ******* up?? I can't.

That's why if we ever had the guts to train with elite forces you want the coaches, some of the executive and board members to join them, so they know what the * has to be done to achieve elite results.

This was the group punishment for Molik's * up after they had to do a 10 km run.

Only this GIF of the interrogation is available.

But what one of the DS said, sums up what has to happen from Molik.

Edit - here is the Sam Burgess interrogation

Last edited:
Talking about recurring memes on this board, give the players the key to the weights room.

The equipment isn't just there for drying damp clothes on.

We still look puny and undersized. The way the Bulldogs brushed us aside like blowflies at a picnic was embarrassing.

On Sunday I looked up this thread because I remember that in the opening post a few days after we lost the 2014 PF, I said if we can harness what Clarko did out of losing a close PF to Collingwood in 2011, then we can win a flag in the next couple of years. That went really well didn't it?

Sunday night I was tempted to start a new thread titled We weren't smart enough, skilled enough and tough enough and give lots of examples where we did dumb sh*t - Todd Marshall getting the ball touched from a set shot from 20m out, 3 players doing the see ball get ball play when Bulldogs didn't and their 1 player got it out to 2 free players, the useless shots on goal by Dixon, Gray, the 50 soft efforts in the first quarter etc.

I've decided to change the title to add my extra title to the existing one.

I also looked up when I first wrote we need to send them off for the first month of preseason training to train with the SAS, or US Navy Seals, or Mossad or the Russian elite forces, so they can learn about pushing their bodies to the extreme, doing it tough, and it was 27 April 2011 the day after we lost to the Gold Coast and I had talked to Russell Ebert after the game at The Hangar/Shed. I was thinking the same thing on Sunday, we need to get these guys trained up by elite forces, break them down and rebuild them mentally and to a lesser extent physically, because we are shot and we will be for years unless somebody does something about this fu**in disaster.

Last night I watched SAS Australia and it just confirmed all my thoughts about elite forces training after years of talking to a few blokes who have been through these courses and having read several books about the British and Australian SAS as well as having watched docos about other elite forces.

Now I know its changed for TV and non soldiers and its edited in a certain way for dramatic effect, but it opens a big window in to the reality of what they do to find out who really is elite and the best of the best.

Last night Alicia Molik copped an absolute bollocking for ******* up and not listening and even though she completed her task, her small lapse of judgement and showboating saw her cop it and caused the rest of the group to be punished for her fu** up.

Below is a small bit of the segment.

Unfortunately there is only a GIF of when she was interrogated, but they drilled into her, asked her what she does / did, she responded with tennis coach and mentor, then put it on her would she want her students and mentees to fu** up like she did? She said no, Ant Middleton asks her then why did she do it. She struggled to answer. It was a deliberate psychological shot across the bow to wake her up and get inside her head.

They also interrogated Sam Burgess as they were surprised such a big strong bloke had performed so poorly in the first test being exposed to gas and having to think and concentrate and listen to instructions under stress. They looked up his history on the net re playing in a winning GF with South Sydney with a broken cheekbone for most of the game, and his problems at the end of his career. They wanted to test how honest he was and if he would hide stuff. He didn't, he was bloody honest and Ant Middleton admitted to him when he left the SAS he couldn't handle life like Sam couldn't and he ended up in jail. It was another psychological test, find out where his strengths and weaknesses were so they can see how much ego he still has, if he was prepared to be brutally honest and if he really wanted to do something to help himself or just talk about doing it.

Could anyone see nice flakey Hinkley doing something like Ant Middleton does to Alicia Molik say 3 to 5 minutes into the game, getting out of his comfort zone storming out of the box going down to the ground and getting stuck into his midfielders and other players for ******* up?? I can't.

That's why if we ever had the guts to train with elite forces you want the coaches, some of the executive and board members to join them, so they know what the fu** has to be done to achieve elite results.

This was the group punishment for Molik's fu** up after they had to do a 10 km run.

Only this GIF of the interrogation is available.

But what one of the DS said, sums up what has to happen from Molik.

We have lacked self discipline and team discipline for a long time. We used to go to Thursday training in years gone past and if you made a ball handling or kicking mistake you'd have to get down and do 10 push ups each time. It was a little thing but everyone knew mistakes like that were not ok. With closed training sessions who knows what goes on anymore. And I agree do we ever use the weights room?

On SM-G781B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back