Universal Love Welcome Sam Gibson :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Ground level you will not be seeing any speky marks.
Outside player but can tag. Took Sloane out of one game.
Endurance elite level. Could outlast anyone then run home after the game.
Kicking can be hit and miss. Has turned over many a poss.

Cheers, much appreciated :thumbsu:.

Seems to be a consistent performer. From the Crows website, Gibson's footage looks ok when kicking for goals. Can't be all that bad at kicking? He seems suited for a tagger's role for us, midfield or in the forward flanks.

I recall people making similar justifications when we brought in Angus Graham
Except this guy has played quality AFL footy. I reckon we have him earmarked for half-back, or at least that's what I got from Reid.

Good speed, fantastic endurance and defensively minded. He's handy depth.

From AFL.com.au

"Gibson averaged 22.1 disposals, 4.5 score involvements and 3.2 tackles this year, and finished seventh in North's best and fairest after placing third in 2016.

He clearly caught the Crows' attention with his round seven defensive job on Rory Sloane that saw other clubs follow suit with close tags on the midfield star."

We clearly will have a bona fide tagging option next year. Hope this points to even more tactical options and changes. Those numbers alone are an upgrade on plenty in our senior 22. I think he will be playing a role in our seniors.

sounds like a smart bloke too, commerce/engineering double. sounds like a great fit for the club.

I really, really hope this signals our intention to actually use a tagger from now on.

It still blows my mind that the majority of clubs simply don't bother to tag. It's clearly worth doing (just look at how effective it was against Sloane this year), and you can usually pick up a quality tagger for cheap. If they can get touches as well, surely they're just as useful as your worst midfielder in the 22?

Still shits me every time I hear the Crows say "well if you get someone to tag you lose their input as well". Yes, but you quell the input of the opposition's best midfielder! Unless our worst midfielder is better than their best midfielder, it's worth doing!

If he gets delisted I guess we are planning to go one short on the list again.

I'd delist Cheney instead.

CEY is at least on par with Ah Chee, excellent depth.

Smith's injury may have saved Cheney.

I heard Reid say in one of his statements that we could cover our losses in the back line with Keath, Doedee and Cheney - which made it sound like Cheney will get another year.

Having read the interview with Gibson I am officially on board. Seems a quality bloke :thumbsu:
Just watched the presser ... ticks a lot of boxes attitude wise. We need players that have had to work for it, and he seems to be a guy that has worked harder than most and never taken it for granted. Expect him to make the 22 based on his grunt ... and set an example for some that maybe coast along a bit.

Please let us tag the opposition, Riley Knight has given it a nudge - but this guy looks like a hard nosed prick when it comes to smothering someone.

I'll take the seat next to ya Sanders on the Gibson-bus.

Last edited by a moderator:
I really, really hope this signals our intention to actually use a tagger from now on.

It still blows my mind that the majority of clubs simply don't bother to tag. It's clearly worth doing (just look at how effective it was against Sloane this year), and you can usually pick up a quality tagger for cheap. If they can get touches as well, surely they're just as useful as your worst midfielder in the 22?

Still shits me every time I hear the Crows say "well if you get someone to tag you lose their input as well". Yes, but you quell the input of the opposition's best midfielder! Unless our worst midfielder is better than their best midfielder, it's worth doing!
I absolutely agree that a good tagger has a place in footy, no matter what era we're talking about. Kane Cornes was one of those taggers that could blanket an opponent and having a stack of possessions himself. Love him or hate him, Cornes was highly effective as a tagger. I can see Gibson playing in a similar role to Cornes of the past, with his similar physique and elite endurance.

I think a lot of people are put off because of Gibson's age (31). However, we should look at his current performance this year - finishing 6th in North's BnF. Surely, a top 6 player from another club has more kudos points than a bottom 6 player from the Crow's AFL senior side? Also of note, he started playing in the AFL late at the age of 26, so hopefully he still has a good 1-2 years left in him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So you certainly got your "two Gibbs'" pies worth this trade period.
Happy that Sam gets a shot at continuing his never-ending-games record.

I wonder which commentator(s) will confuse him with Bryce - as happens with Port's two Grays, where one also has a much higher profile than the other. My money is on BT ;)

Seems to be a consistent performer. From the Crows website, Gibson's footage looks ok when kicking for goals. Can't be all that bad at kicking? He seems suited for a tagger's role for us, midfield or in the forward flanks.
oddly enough his goal kicking is actually pretty serviceable such as this ripper in the final against * a few years back-

its strange but its almost like when he has time to think about it is when his worst kicks materialise, bang OOTF 5 rows into the crowd, to his defence more recently they are only generally 3 rows deep now.

I think a lot of people are put off because of Gibson's age (31).
his strenth is undoubtably his aerobic capacity, if he can maintain that he should continue to play at the level he has for the last few years, but his skills are prolly at their ceiling.

Last edited:
So you certainly got your "two Gibbs'" pies worth this trade period.
Happy that Sam gets a shot at continuing his never-ending-games record.

I wonder which commentator(s) will confuse him with Bryce - as happens with Port's two Grays, where one also has a much higher profile than the other. My money is on BT ;)
never rule out Basil when it comes to misnaming players. i think 6 in a game is the record so far.

Should we rookie list Menzel?

I don't know if we're even allowed to. I assumed we delisted him before we brought in Gibbs to keep us under the man-bun cap (ie 1).

If we put Menzel on the rookie list does his man-bun get included under the cap? Or does that only count senior list man-buns?

Love to see him play on Motlop next year
Or we just leave Motlop alone to rack up cheap ball as we did in that Final against Geelong.

Lock down on the guys who have to feed him and the ball Motlop does get is less usefull.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Just watched the presser ... ticks a lot of boxes attitude wise. We need players that have had to work for it, and he seems to be a guy that has worked harder than most and never taken it for granted. Expect him to make the 22 based on his grunt ... and set an example for some that maybe coast along a bit.

Please let us tag the opposition, Riley Knight has given it a nudge - but this guy looks like a hard nosed prick when it comes to smothering someone.

I'll take the seat next to ya Sanders on the Gibson-bus.
what's the bet that in his first go at tagging here he gives away 4 frees in the first quarter?

From AFL.com.au

"Gibson averaged 22.1 disposals, 4.5 score involvements and 3.2 tackles this year, and finished seventh in North's best and fairest after placing third in 2016.

He clearly caught the Crows' attention with his round seven defensive job on Rory Sloane that saw other clubs follow suit with close tags on the midfield star."

We clearly will have a bona fide tagging option next year. Hope this points to even more tactical options and changes. Those numbers alone are an upgrade on plenty in our senior 22. I think he will be playing a role in our seniors.

sounds like a smart bloke too, commerce/engineering double. sounds like a great fit for the club.

Yep good post - I agree - I said the same thing over a chardy last night. :D He really towelled Rory up that day in Hobart IIRC.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back