Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn : Nick 'the Wizard' Watson! Rising star Nom!

Remove this Banner Ad

Who can forget Cyril taking on 3 cats in the 2008 GF? A pivotal and inspiring moment. I'm rapt with this selection as exciting players like Watson can both inspire teammates and supporters.

Result: a back pass and a rushed point against.

Had the ump not blown for htb Cyril could have dished off to Clint young wandering past and maybe a 6 pointer.

Umpire ruined that play.

Result: a back pass and a rushed point against.

Had the ump not blown for htb Cyril could have dished off to Clint young wandering past and maybe a 6 pointer.

Umpire ruined that play.
On the other hand, every that happened after that led to a Hawk victory. Butterfly effect.

Duursma wouldn't go 1. But it would be close run thing if Wiz was 10cm taller.

A 200cm KPF with the skills and attributes of Duursma would be taken #1 ahead of 187cm Reid.

If you re-did the 2004 draft, would you have Deledio ahead of Rough and Bud?

10cm is enormous. Turns the mids into KPP size players, the KPP size players into Goliaths. It’s a stupid argument for that reason. You could argue the only player it doesn’t completely change their profile is Nick Watson 🤣

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Being KPP size isn't always beneficial for a midfielder. What difference does it make for a midfielder who isn't particularly explosive or good overhead to be 195cm instead of 185cm? Say, Ryley Sanders this year.

There are definitely highly rated players who would be negatively impacted by additional height - they become too tall, lose their ground level game, get shunted by necessity into different roles. Jed Walter wouldn't benefit by being 10cm taller, Ryley Sanders wouldn't benefit, McKercher arguably wouldn't.

A 200cm KPF with the skills and attributes of Duursma would be taken #1 ahead of 187cm Reid.

If you re-did the 2004 draft, would you have Deledio ahead of Rough and Bud?
Easy to say in hindsight but Deledio was a better player than Rough for a good chunk of his career. If not for calf injuries from 2013 onwards he may have even retired the better player.

Being KPP size isn't always beneficial for a midfielder. What difference does it make for a midfielder who isn't particularly explosive or good overhead to be 195cm instead of 185cm? Say, Ryley Sanders this year.

There are definitely highly rated players who would be negatively impacted by additional height - they become too tall, lose their ground level game, get shunted by necessity into different roles. Jed Walter wouldn't benefit by being 10cm taller, Ryley Sanders wouldn't benefit, McKercher arguably wouldn't.
The idea was that Watson gains 10cm but loses no aspect of his game. In that scenario, 10cm would benefit anyone.

The idea was that Watson gains 10cm but loses no aspect of his game. In that scenario, 10cm would benefit anyone.
Having actually been involved in that conversation from the start, that's nonsense. The idea is that he could gain 10cm and lose nothing.

I can't reply to that message now, but the point I was making is not everyone could put on 10cm and lose nothing. He could.
Depends. Alot of his "fight", mental strength and determination to succeed came from being told he was too small / wouldn't make it. He wouldn't necessarily have developed these things if he was taller.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My workmates are already getting annoyed

Every time I wander past one of them I turn into an umpire, blow the whistle and say

“High contact, free kick Hawthorn”, with an outstretched arm

I then look at them and say

“You know it’s coming”

Hypothetical. Are people saying it’s ok to imagine he’s 10 cm taller, but not ok to imagine he’s 10 cm taller without losing any skill? Really?
Where'd you get this from?

It's not even about just Nick, there was a post earlier that said every player would be better if 10cm taller. I was making the point that it isn't necessarily the case - some players don't have physical qualities to capitalise on the extra height, where explosive, strong marking and springy guys like Nick and Reid would definitely be better.

He is very much like Cyril.

Kosi is the closest to Cyril I have seen, but if Watson gets his tackle count to a similar level I think he will be right up there.

I don't think we will ever see another Cyril.

Has there ever been a player in our game that was simultaneously the best player with and without the ball like Cyril?

If the Wiz is even half as good we're laughing.

If Nick Watson had wheels, he'd be a bicycle.
honestly...

maxresdefault.jpg

Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn : Nick 'the Wizard' Watson! Rising star Nom!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back