Welcome Welcome to the list - Tylar Young Rookie pick 26

Remove this Banner Ad

At the game today and interesting polite conversation in the outer with clearly a Tylar Young fan (and I hope not family…..). 😬

Talking to my son raising my concerns re his game, and a phone appears from the seats in front of me from said supporter talking of pressure acts, score involvements and how good the kid is. I politely pointed out his opponent kicked six goals (admittedly two cheapies), but it made me wonder - am I being too harsh?

My thoughts - decision making suspect, disposal efficiency quite poor, and dash as a defender to set up damaging plays is near zero. He has a role as negative lockdown defender, but today I think was exposed openly against a team that has lost its last 20 games.

I am overall a very positive Tiges fans - and will always support anyone in our guernsey - but I can’t see us moving forward too far when we carry players like this. My solution to moving forward - throw the kitchen sink at Himmelburg free agency wise if we can afford it - and get Gibcus forward like the Suns have done with Lukosius.

But am I being too harsh?
Balta absolutely ****ed Young on one occasion in the first and cost him one of those goals (it was highlighted on the replay if you get a chance to watch it)

I thought he had a pretty good game granted he lost a few contests but if we only count the non cheapie goals and the one where a teammate set him up the fail he only had 3 kicked on him and saved a lot more than lost

Had some massive one on one wins
For a player in his first year taking on the responsibilities he had is pretty impressive especially when you remember he was essentially the solo key position back we had for most of the game with Balta dragged forward early

At the game today and interesting polite conversation in the outer with clearly a Tylar Young fan (and I hope not family…..). 😬

Talking to my son raising my concerns re his game, and a phone appears from the seats in front of me from said supporter talking of pressure acts, score involvements and how good the kid is. I politely pointed out his opponent kicked six goals (admittedly two cheapies), but it made me wonder - am I being too harsh?

My thoughts - decision making suspect, disposal efficiency quite poor, and dash as a defender to set up damaging plays is near zero. He has a role as negative lockdown defender, but today I think was exposed openly against a team that has lost its last 20 games.

I am overall a very positive Tiges fans - and will always support anyone in our guernsey - but I can’t see us moving forward too far when we carry players like this. My solution to moving forward - throw the kitchen sink at Himmelburg free agency wise if we can afford it - and get Gibcus forward like the Suns have done with Lukosius.

He's usually pretty good at spoiling marking attempts not much else unfortunately. I don't know exact numbers but it just feels like he's constantly getting 4-6 goals kicked on him most weeks.

Every defender has ones that weren't their direct fault just as Rance and Scarlett had also. Tarrant and Gibcus fit I'm not sure he would've played a single game. It's hard to judge young cos it's technically his first year but he's not exactly 18 either. I thought Garthwaite was better than what Young has shown so far but will wait and see how he goes early next year having hopefully ironed out a few deficiencies.

Thing is today Young actually had a few Lucky breaks with ball bouncing his way, Larkey slipping over, never got pinged by umpires and poor disposal. It easily could've been 10 kicked on him by a team that's a basket case. Get the feeling either Balta or Gibcus will be training with forwards over preseason and backed in so I'm Tipping Young's part of our plans but I don't see him being a long term solution. We should be having a crack at ratigolea.

I guess the question I’m asking - and invoking the Leigh Matthews adage “you can’t win anything without a good spine” - is Tylar Young good enough to be a finals player in a solid spine?

I just have serious doubts - but happy to hear otherwise………(and would be delighted to be proven wrong tbh).

I guess the question I’m asking - and invoking the Leigh Matthews adage “you can’t win anything without a good spine” - is Tylar Young good enough to be a finals player in a solid spine?

I just have serious doubts - but happy to hear otherwise………(and would be delighted to be proven wrong tbh).
I think Tylar will become a very solid defender (like Astbury)
I like what he brings to the team and I couldn't be happier with his progression as a first year player.
In terms of development it would have be off the charts given is previous experience.
Larkey kicked a few today obviously but he flopped and played for free kicks all game it was embarrassing really.

For a first season, pretty good tbh.

Remember we aren't and can't ask him to be the number 1 KPD because he's probably not that, but as a 2nd/3rd best tall he's pretty handy and in his second season should continue to develop next year.

Cannot believe some people are even in some doubt that we have found one.

Tylar Young is going to be another version of Astbury, which is ok. It’s his 1st Season of league footy and his 4th season of all time.

Not every defender needs to be Alex Rance

Cannot believe some people are even in some doubt that we have found one.

Tylar Young is going to be another version of Astbury, which is ok. It’s his 1st Season of league footy and his 4th season of all time.

Not every defender needs to be Alex Rance
Would take that and run from a VFL upgrade. Picks like this will get us back on the fast track to contention.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Perspective peeps, he's mature age but raw as * and when you consider how little footy he's played in his life, he has been enormous.
Yup body wise he isn’t going to get bigger or stronger but he is going to grow in experience

Even looking at his growth from the start of the year to now it’s been pretty extraordinary

Hell even if he doesn’t improve (he will) he is already a guy you pick every week to be a 2nd or 3rd tall to do a lockdown job

Yes.

Yup body wise he isn’t going to get bigger or stronger but he is going to grow in experience

Even looking at his growth from the start of the year to now it’s been pretty extraordinary

Hell even if he doesn’t improve (he will) he is already a guy you pick every week to be a 2nd or 3rd tall to do a lockdown job
100%, we should be stoked not complaining haha

This is the kids first season at the club settle down

You are definitely taking what Tylar Young is likely to produce 2024 for what we are likely to pay him - $250-300k tops. He has found it a bit tougher to put his opponent to sleep as the team has started conceding big scores late season, but he is likely to derive huge benefit from this season. If he stays fit, I am backing this bloke all the way, should be a very good value player for us.

Perspective peeps, he's mature age but raw as * and when you consider how little footy he's played in his life, he has been enormous.
Astbury looked pretty ordinary early days in defense

He's way ahead of where he should be experience-wise in a lot of key areas, IMO, hasn't been hidden at all this year and stood up really well.

He's got plenty more to his game than just a spoiler, some of his ball handling is sublime for a bloke his size - looks like he has it on a string at times, did it a couple of times today and does most weeks. Nothing flashy at this stage in his ball use, but he's reliable well above his experience level. Makes good decisions similarly.

And virtually any time he's had his colours lowered a little defensively by his direct opponent this year, you could point fingers at a dozen players earlier in the play that put him in that position before you started pointing Young's way.

He's had a cracker of a season, IMO.

Yes, too harsh. It’s the midfield that needs fixing

For a rookie you can't be too hard on him. hopefully he gets stronger in the gym still not sold on him & Balta as key defensive posts.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back