Welcome Welcome to the list - Tylar Young Rookie pick 26

Remove this Banner Ad

I guess the question I’m asking - and invoking the Leigh Matthews adage “you can’t win anything without a good spine” - is Tylar Young good enough to be a finals player in a solid spine?

I just have serious doubts - but happy to hear otherwise………(and would be delighted to be proven wrong tbh).
If given time he could be. What’s he played 18-19 games. Not many players can be fully judged on so few games.

For a start if Larkey wasn't playing for the 17th placed side he might be leading the Coleman right now. As it is he is 3rd with 62. So Young's performance against one of the leagues best forwards wasn't too bad.

What I liked the most was that he kept competing, and in the last he actually went for (and took) his marks instead of just punching everything. I hope it was the next step in learning. Sorry, I think there is something in this kid. Looking forward, another pre-season to add fitness and strength (assuming we get a decent fitness guru) and the confidence knowing you belong at AFL level. As for Larkey........what a giant sook. Took an instant dislike to him. You don't deserve a free because you are near the general vicinity of the ball you softlock. How was the head throw backs when he got tackled?

What I liked the most was that he kept competing, and in the last he actually went for (and took) his marks instead of just punching everything. I hope it was the next step in learning. Sorry, I think there is something in this kid. Looking forward, another pre-season to add fitness and strength (assuming we get a decent fitness guru) and the confidence knowing you belong at AFL level. As for Larkey........what a giant sook. Took an instant dislike to him. You don't deserve a free because you are near the general vicinity of the ball you softlock. How was the head throw backs when he got tackled?
Larkey cheated yesterday. He played for free kicks. I lost a lot in respect for him in that game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would rather have Tylar Young at $100k and playing 20 games a year than Ben MacKay at $800k playing 10 games a year
Funny about Prestia. Has averaged 17 games across his career. That's my concern with tabener.
Dodged a bullet with Tarrant and got one year out of him. But it cost 2 years worth of salary. I think Miller would have been as good.
The KPF depth this year was Ryan, Pickett, Miller, Bauer, Balta and the rucks Musical chairs.

There's no FA KPF around , so I think we should wait until end of 2024. Young has been a godsend. It's allowed the club to consider Balta or Gibcus forward. Along with Bauer, another gem out of the VFL program.
A fit Lynch will win us a few games straight up.
Make the 8 is always the aim

Funny about Prestia. Has averaged 17 games across his career. That's my concern with tabener.
Dodged a bullet with Tarrant and got one year out of him. But it cost 2 years worth of salary. I think Miller would have been as good.
The KPF depth this year was Ryan, Pickett, Miller, Bauer, Balta and the rucks Musical chairs.

There's no FA KPF around , so I think we should wait until end of 2024. Young has been a godsend. It's allowed the club to consider Balta or Gibcus forward. Along with Bauer, another gem out of the VFL program.
A fit Lynch will win us a few games straight up.
Make the 8 is always the aim
Better get all our ducks in a row for next year with Carltoon the first game played!

Better get all our ducks in a row for next year with Carltoon the first game played!
New coach will be interesting. Mid field and forward line connection isn't good. New coach might take a few rounds to polish a new game style.

Lynch back after a big break and question marks over Gibcus.

This year we played poorly and scraped a draw.
Carlton putting it together on the field this year

wow !! First time I’ve seen thatone On one ranking, great effort, surprise package of the season for me.

A couple of times this year he went to the oppositions best forwar after Balta had been beaten and did the job. Has size and speed, good combination to play on th best KPFs

Reckon he’ll win most improved at this years B&F

Last edited:
This kid will get to 200 games and nobody will have even noticed. His disposition and on field demeanour has the prestagiacomo or any other un-heralded full back type. Gets his job done defensively first and foremost and try’s his best to get involved offensively without over committing.

Another shrewd pick by the club.

This kid will get to 200 games and nobody will have even noticed. His disposition and on field demeanour has the prestagiacomo or any other un-heralded full back type. Gets his job done defensively first and foremost and try’s his best to get involved offensively without over committing.

Another shrewd pick by the club.
Astbury mark II

Which is elite but not sexy. Happy with that

Astbury mark II

Which is elite but not sexy. Happy with that
I have been watching a lot of our "glory years" and Astbury was such a rock. He was real literally a beast down back and was able to take strong marks. If Young could get about 75% then he would still be a fantastic player.

I have been watching a lot of our "glory years" and Astbury was such a rock. He was real literally a beast down back and was able to take strong marks. If Young could get about 75% then he would still be a fantastic player.
taylor walker, josh jenkins, finlayson and hawkins plus rucks resting forward were all given a bath by big dave in the games that mattered most....early days yet but young tracking ok and has done all expected from him so far.

Astbury was a genuine A grade stopper, and decent otherwise. The media and other club;s supporters couldn't see his talent cause he wasn't funky. Just damn good at his job.

Reckon Young is like that. If he gets close to Dave's level we have a huge win

Astbury was a genuine A grade stopper, and decent otherwise. The media and other club;s supporters couldn't see his talent cause he wasn't funky. Just damn good at his job.

Reckon Young is like that. If he gets close to Dave's level we have a huge win
astbury was an outstanding mark and very very good at body usage he also was not a racehorse but had very very slick hands on both sides.

would be nice if young was to watch the 3 final series that astbury took the pi55 out of some big names over and over to embed and try and emulate some of daves work both on his direct opponent, and also blending in beautifully with fellow Defenders

astbury was an outstanding mark and very very good at body usage he also was not a racehorse but had very very slick hands on both sides.

would be nice if young was to watch the 3 final series that astbury took the pi55 out of some big names over and over to embed and try and emulate some of daves work both on his direct opponent, and also blending in beautifully with fellow Defenders

He looks as if he has filled out a little bit quite nicely on the weekend. If so a little more strength and core in the contest is helpful

Remove this Banner Ad

Back