Club Focus West Coast 2020 - Langdon, Withered, Edwards, Winder, Trew

AFL Club Focus

What is the priority at West Coast this off-season?

• Recruiting via trade

Votes: 15 37.5%
  • Managing the salary cap

Votes: 6 15.0%
  • Re-signing free agents

Votes: 2 5.0%
  • Going to the draft

Votes: 17 42.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

West Coast club focus
Huh?

I feel like Simmo promised us a day at Adventure World, but as soon as we were all in the car he changed his mind and took us to the park for half an hour instead.

Good fun and all, but not exactly 'Tim Kelly' levels of excitement and certainly not "more active".

I feel like Simmo promised us a day at Adventure World, but as soon as we were all in the car he changed his mind and took us to the park for half an hour instead.

Good fun and all, but not exactly 'Tim Kelly' levels of excitement and certainly not "more active".

Well he was quoted as saying there was a couple of targets, and exactly two were brought in. The man delivered on his promise.

If ever there was a draft to have picks 62+ - it is this one.

It's quite possible we have the last 3 picks of the draft and enter around pick 50 - as many may simply pass.

Add in the increased lottery nature of this draft - I think it's a solid strategy

Thought West Coast did really well over this whole period. They had very little in terms of draft picks to start with, so to end up with Langdon, Witherden, Winder, Edwards and Trew is a fantastic result.
I do wonder about the refusal to trade back in. WC currently have three picks likely to fall 30-40 in 2021. Surely with O'Driscoll and Carroll on the board, trading one or two of the 2021 picks becomes an option. Particularly Carroll at 41. You don't trade Port's 2021 second rounder or the Swans' 2021 third rounder to get in there and grab him?

I do wonder about the refusal to trade back in. WC currently have three picks likely to fall 30-40 in 2021. Surely with O'Driscoll and Carroll on the board, trading one or two of the 2021 picks becomes an option. Particularly Carroll at 41. You don't trade Port's 2021 second rounder or the Swans' 2021 third rounder to get in there and grab him?
O'Driscoll is the one I can see filling that void of potentially elite developing midfielders that West Coast currently lacks. I do agree it would've been great to try trade in for him, but Trew isn't a bad option considering how little he cost.

O'Driscoll is the one I can see filling that void of potentially elite developing midfielders that West Coast currently lacks. I do agree it would've been great to try trade in for him, but Trew isn't a bad option considering how little he cost.
O'Driscoll and Carroll were both gettable if we'd been willing to wheel and deal for second-rounders.

And ironically a few years ago was the only Freo fan in a West Coast supporting family.

Trying to figure out our list composition. 37 to 44 (min 37 on main list)
Harry Edwards & Vardy were upgraded.
Currently 42 by my calculations. Am I missing something?
Main list: 32
+
Witherden & Langdon
+
Edwards & Winder
= 36

Rookies: 6
Hutchings, Jones, Ah Chee, Venables, Rioli & Zane Trew
Does anyone know who is the 37th player on our main list?

+
Witherden & Langdon
+
Edwards & Winder
= 36

Rioli is still on the main list, no?

+
Witherden & Langdon
+
Edwards & Winder
= 36

Rioli is on the main list not rookie list.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rioli is on the main list not rookie list.
Thanks, I figured they had downgraded him to the rookie list. I’m guessing Rioli will find out his fate this month. I guess this leaves 1 rookie & 1 category B place open.

Last edited:
Rioli is still on the main list, no?
It‘s has been said, that he is still on the main list. I just assumed he was downgraded, although I’m not sure how long you can stay on the rookie list.
AFL: “To reach 44, clubs can carry 36-38 senior listed players, four-to-six Category A rookies and two Category B rookies.”
The last two spots could go many ways or stay open.

What basis you have they refused?

In fact, the Collingwood article on the age proves we tried. But you can only trade what you have and others had more currency.

That’s the problem with world. Huge amount of weight is placed on uninformed opinions. And the less you know, the more weight your opinion seems to get.

What basis you have they refused?
Maybe "refusal" was too strong a word. I think we could have packaged a combination of picks to get pick 26 this year. And I think our 2021 picks would have been more than adequate to get pick 40 in 2020. If we assume generally that 2021 picks were more highly prized than 2020 picks.

Of course, wheeling and dealing would have been involved. I tend to think we could/should have done one or two deals given the WA kids still on the board in the second round.

Last edited:
Thought West Coast did really well over this whole period. They had very little in terms of draft picks to start with, so to end up with Langdon, Witherden, Winder, Edwards and Trew is a fantastic result.

They say everyone walks away from the draft happy. We all look at the positives.

However with the lack of decent picks after landing Kelly to trade in two young 22 year olds who could play round one plus add those kids AND improve our 2021 draft hand is a bloody good effort. We targeted mids and got three, two who can also play forward and back. Trew slid from a 1st round pick 12 months ago to the rookie draft (thanks Suma). Both he and Edwards have a bit of a chip on their shoulders to prove some doubters wrong which I like. Winder could be the steal of the draft for us, can seriously football and off field he sounds like a ripper of a kid, mature and very community focused.

A solid, well calculated result using loose draft change.

Top job from the recruiting team.

Maybe "refusal" was too strong a word. I think we could have packaged a combination of picks to get pick 26 this year. And I think our 2021 picks would have been more than adequate to get pick 40 in 2020. If we assume generally that 2021 picks were more highly prized than 2020 picks, which I think was borne out by the Richmond-Geelong trade at the end of the first round.

Of course, wheeling and deadling would have been involved. I tend to think we could/should have done one or two deals given the WA kids still on the board in the second round.
I mean we traded 27 for Melbourne 3rd rounder 2021 in the days before the draft.

guess we were over a barrel a bit more as we had no capacity to use that pick so we’re lucky to get much of value.
If you offered ports 2021 2nd we absolutely would have taken it. Or a combination of later 2021 picks.

Maybe "refusal" was too strong a word. I think we could have packaged a combination of picks to get pick 26 this year. And I think our 2021 picks would have been more than adequate to get pick 40 in 2020. If we assume generally that 2021 picks were more highly prized than 2020 picks, which I think was borne out by the Richmond-Geelong trade at the end of the first round.

Of course, wheeling and deadling would have been involved. I tend to think we could/should have done one or two deals given the WA kids still on the board in the second round.

You can always throw a kitchen sink at anything and overpay. We did offer a package it’s just that whoever was willing to trade preferred other options.

Wa kids aren’t more special than kids from other states. It’s amazing how much weight people put on 10% of the draft pool.

Plus we picked 3/4 wa kids.

You can always throw a kitchen sink at anything and overpay. We did offer a package it’s just that whoever was willing to trade preferred other options.
Who says a kitchen sink would have been required?

Geelong got pick 27 for Melbourne's third-rounder. That suggests we could have got it for the Swans' third-rounder.

Did Geelong overpay?

Wa kids aren’t more special than kids from other states. It’s amazing how much weight people put on 10% of the draft pool.
They were highly rated WA kids who slid. If you don't think that's attractive then I don't know what you're interested in.

That's what I immediately thought at the time. Did Gold Coast make an enquiry to WC? Melbourne's future 3rd rounder currently sits as pick 47, whereas the Eagles had Sydneys 3rd (currently pick 40). Does Sydney improve on its 16th position? I guess WC openly stated it was looking to improve next years draft hand. I like the idea that Geelong targeted a player and made the play.

Geelong got pick 27 for Melbourne's third-rounder. That suggests we could have got it for the Swans' third-rounder.

Did Geelong overpay?

They were highly rated WA kids who slid. If you don't think that's attractive then I don't know what you're interested in.

Did Geelong overpay?

Have you thought that Geelong don’t want to help a direct rival?

“Highly” rated is subjective. all kids picked are “highly rated”. They don’t pick “low rated” kids or for the hell of it.

Have you thought that Geelong don’t want to help a direct rival?
What does Geelong have to do with it? We could have traded with GC.

All teams are "direct rivals". That's how competitive sport works.

“Highly” rated is subjective. all kids picked are “highly rated”. They don’t pick “low rated” kids or for the hell of it.
Stop saying stupid things.

Last edited:
Back