West Coast - time for a rebuild?

How is Eddie Betts remembered?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Furthest side from a premiership in the comp.
You really hate WC for some reason? There are still some elite players in the WC team, the coaching staff is just putrid. If you watched WC closely you would see this.

You really hate WC for some reason? There are still some elite players in the WC team

Well right now you're in our way. And the 'some' is the problem, you clearly don't understand that it's you furthest from a premiership, not North Melbourne or Adelaide or Gold Coast, because you have to start your rebuild and go down before you can go back up.

Well right now you're in our way. And the 'some' is the problem, you clearly don't understand that it's you furthest from a premiership, not North Melbourne or Adelaide or Gold Coast, because you have to start your rebuild and go down before you can go back up.
A midfield with Naitanui, Shuey, Yeo, Kelly should not be struggling......the coaches are along with Carlton and Gold Coast worst in the AFL. They will bounce back in 2022 with new coaches, hell Yeo and Kelly aren't even old.

No cutting it, that loss was unacceptable.

Time to change things up - gameplan, personnel, coaching - however that is done, that's the interesting bit.

Bring on 2022.

They were saying the same in 2017 as they are now.
Senior players old, cliff is coming, mentally weak, blow the joint up and rebuild.
Eagles are more likely to bounce back and contend next year rather than fall off a cliff.

They were saying the same in 2017 as they are now.
Senior players old, cliff is coming, mentally weak, blow the joint up and rebuild.
Eagles are more likely to bounce back and contend next year rather than fall off a cliff.

Perhaps - and tbh I wouldn't mind Simmo continuing on in 2022 (even if we might be bound by his long contract anyway) - but something needs to change.

In 2018 we saw a change in game plan, so maybe that's the trick. Maybe this group has lost the hunger. I honestly don't know for sure. But the past few weeks have been depressing. 8-5 pre-bye, then 2-7 afterwards is not a contending side by any stretch of the imagination. We've had injuries, but every side has them and today we had almost a full strength side.

With Simpson gone in 2022 everyone will see a quick rebound - he is the biggest joke

Seriously, Simpson must re-set his game plan.

Was out coached today, as he has on many occasions this season. Seems reluctant to change with the times.

The price paid for Tim Kelly was definitely mismanagement and the consequences will be paid for years to come
This gets way oversold. I'd say we overpaid a touch - we should have hung onto one of the second-rounders - but it's totally overemphasised.

As for "consequences", presumably you could say that any time you trade out a draft pick? There's always going to be a young player you could have drafted.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seriously, Simpson must re-set his game plan.

Was out coached today, as he has on many occasions this season. Seems reluctant to change with the times.

Its so clearly been this all year. He's had a shocker this year. Hopefully some new assistants in can tell him how easy he's been to coach against this year. Game plan has been picked to shreds.

If there’s a more mentally fragile club than the Eagles of the last few years I haven’t seen it. It’s a glorious end to my weekend on the back of Eagles having a field day with the Tigers loss. I wonder what Freo would have won by if they weren’t missing 8 of their best 22..?? 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

That win was the highlight of the season for me. Cheers.

West Coast lowest percentages

Year%LadderAge rankAge - ladder
200865.915th/1613th-2
200166.014th/1615th+1
201077.116th/1615th-1
198986.711th/149th-2
200092.413th/1610th-3
200993.311th/1613th+2
202194.99th/18*2nd-7
201395.313th/187th-6
198797.98th/148th-
200298.08th/1613th+5
2004103.88th/1616th+8

Yes it has. But different circumstances.

I don't see why. You paid a heavy price for the last piece of the puzzle, but it didn't work out (in Hogan's case anyway). These things happen. I completely understand the rationale for moving heaven and earth for Hogan at the time.

At the moment the Tim Kelly trade is a poor piece of business - but at the time he was absolutely the type of player we needed for another flag.

The price paid was three fairly middling draft picks - it would be okay if the other youngsters we drafted in other years actually came along. Allen and Ryan have come on, but the others have been middling at best or just flat out not ready.

I don't see why. You paid a heavy price for the last piece of the puzzle, but it didn't work out (in Hogan's case anyway). These things happen. I completely understand the rationale for moving heaven and earth for Hogan at the time.

At the moment the Tim Kelly trade is a poor piece of business - but at the time he was absolutely the type of player we needed for another flag.

The price paid was three fairly middling draft picks - it would be okay if the other youngsters we drafted in other years actually came along. Allen and Ryan have come on, but the others have been middling at best or just flat out not ready.
We traded 1 quality player in an area of strength plus 1 quality pick for 2 known needs. 1 failed, 1 is actually pretty good in comparison to every other forward/ruck in the whole comp. It cost us, but not fatal due to a fair bit of talent.

We were trying to complete a rebuild, not topping up 1 year after a flag that had shown you were a bit off by then and probably jagged one. You knew the drafting was suspect earlier yet you still did the deal when you needed youth, fast.

Have Fremantle gone past West Coast?
Doesn't really mean anything if they do. Only thing that matters in this game is premierships and we have plenty cups in our trophy cabinet. Freo have none and don't look like they will for some time. There list isn't even top 8.

We will rebuild for a few seasons and be back up there while Freo just sit around wasting time doing nothing like usual.

Sent from my CPH2025 using Tapatalk

Doesn't really mean anything if they do. Only thing that matters in this game is premierships and we have plenty cups in our trophy cabinet. Freo have none and don't look like they will for some time. There list isn't even top 8.

We will rebuild for a few seasons and be back up there while Freo just sit around wasting time doing nothing like usual.

This thread is about WC and future, the writing is on the wall. A full rebuild will be required, not just a top up. Missing multiple drafts over a long period really hurts.

You need to do it ASAP before all of your stars retire. I highly doubt anybody will be traded out that has any value, not the WC way unless forced.

Adelaide and Fremantle both share a similar mentality towards their cross town rival.

Adelaide are happy as long as they're ahead of Port Adelaide.
Fremantle are happy as long as they're ahead of West Coast.

Back