Review What do you mean we f**king won at Geelong?

Remove this Banner Ad

Scott saying Port play on emotion and are a emotional team, interestingly I recall AFl 360 saying this years ago, it's like we need a cause to beat good teams. S very good win in the end but if th ts managed to get over the line the headlines would very different.

Usually the emotion is fear

The Good - that win was set up in the first half by decent delivery to the forwards, the shape of the ground may have had something to do with it but I thought our players attack on the ball and the low kicks to the advantage of a team mate either coming towards them, or in space was the best it has been for a very long time.

The Bad - we are still flaky and it could have cost the 4 points, eg as well as he played overall Rioli's brain fade to give away two consecutive 50 metre penalties which resulted in a crucial goal to geebung was in my opinion the catalyst that got them back in the game, it was an absolute here we go again moment that could have ended in tears.

The Very Bad - that pack of scrubbers from west lakes wouldn't get within 5 goals of geebung at the cattery yet somehow they regularly manage to drag us down to their level, proof if ever it was required that the game is played as much between the ears as it is below the knees!

Jesus

You can't deny his 2 premierships and W-L record, but my god Chris Scott likes to have a serious SOOK sometimes.

A full 5 minutes of his 14 minute presser dedicated to the umps.

Sinn seemed to pick the right options but shank the kicks. Not a big deal first game back. Had a weak defensive effort but thats not unusual in our defence. I'd let him take kick-ins and see if it helps settles the nerves.
I’ve yet to see him have a game where he’s not done that (shank kicks) the whole narrative that he’s an elite kick is rubbish.

Massive win after the showdown debacle. Thought Sinn burned the footy a bit, got some dash thou. Vis is a weapon, what a gem. Thought Rat was rock solid apart from that one spoil that turned into a goal. Some ridiculous goals were kicked by some of our boys. But when you’re running on top of the ground with confidence, you kick em. Fu*k Geelong. Pussies.

Is it just me or does Sinn struggle to kick over 40 metres? Some of his kick ins dropped well short of where I thought they would be.

I feel previously he was a pretty long kick.

Also at no point did he look 'fast'
Has a lot of good things about him if you can forget the kicking.
For me if you can’t kick you can’t play but football is not all about kicking anymore.

Watching us play last night, especially the first half, felt like finding an oasis after roaming the desert.

We absolutely have the cattle, and when Ken lets them off the leash to play with their natural flair and creativity we would be top 4 comfortably. It has to be the new standard, we have to review this game and say that first qtr was what we should be aiming to replicate from here. Understand theres going to be games where it doesn't quite work or the oppo tries to take it away from us, but we should be coaching to make tweaks and variations to that game-plan to suit the situation, rather than the high press, 70million inside 50s for 3 ineffective shots on goal style.

Thought our pressure and ferocity around the ball and in tackles was exceptional for most of the night. Just went hard, Butters/Wines/JHF, all million miles an hour desperate stuff. Geelong are a much older/bigger team, so huge tick for us there.

They still seemed to get out the back for a lot of their goals, it's happened all year, is it still our press? As in too high even when we play gun ho fast footy? Surely we can tweak it now to say it's just not working, we've seen enough. Rats is coming into his own, BZT has been in great form as our number one lockdown, Aliir has been extremely fumbly, if he can sort that out we've got a very decent nucleus. But still get torn up by small forwards. Number 1 area to work on.

I'm giving Rioli a pass for his brain fade, assuming he thought either he or the ball was touched in the marking contest for the first 50? The second 50 was dumb but the Cats player was also visibly hooking his arm to prevent him running away, still very stupid from Willie but the umps could've easily given him another chance to move out. Outside of that he was excellent and is just such a smart damaging player.

Have been a massive fan of Dante, love to see him continue at the level, there's just something about the lad, his name, his nickname, the way he plays, Soldos been fantastic, but to me they are the 1-2 ruck options.

All in all, there's so much to work with from last night, we could genuinely make a flag run from here, or we could return to Keninly football 101......

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not gonna lie, I’m gonna enjoy giving a bit to the Geelong supporter at work.

Ater Round 21 last year, as soon as I walked in she says to me “Ha ha Geelong were too good!” after we had 8 players missing that night and they still only barely beat us with the help of the umpires.
Leave a box of tissues for her.

We were paying $3.85 pre game.

Don't think we would've won a game against those odds in the Hinkley era. Maybe West Coast at Optus 2019? Even then we probably weren't that big an outsider.

We blew out to something ridiculous like $12.00 against Hawthorn in late 2015.

That was the night the Gray brothers combined for an evenly split 68 disposals, Jake Neade kicked two goals from 14 disposals, and Brendon Ah Chee had 25 disposals and one goal. Jay Schulz and Chad Wingard also combined for seven goals.

The 'cooked' Dixon took a contested mark, unlike Marshall. 6 contested possessions to Todds 2. He looked more mobile tonight than he has all year.
Todd is the perfect lead up forward not the strong bodied contested mark. He needs space to lead. He's surprisingly quick, has superb vision and is a deadly accurate field kick. If only we had a coach that could maximise the players' talents.

Last edited:
Todd is the perfect lead up forward not the strong bodied contested mark. He needs space to lead. He's surprisingly quick, has superb vision and is deadly accurate field kick. If only we had a coach that could maximise the players' talents.
You are 100% correct. This is one of the reasons why this bombing into the 50 is so ridiculous. When players lower their eyes, as per last night, it is much more effective.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back