Review What do you mean we f**king won at Geelong?

Remove this Banner Ad

First win by Port in Geelong in 17 years.

But no surprises what the Advertiser has the front page of its website.

View attachment 1985586

I mean really, the irony on that is so astronomical it probably caused the geomagnetic storms! 🤣

There was an instance where there was a Geelong kick heading towards goal, loudly called "touched, play on" by the field ump. Port player lets it roll through the goals.

How is it possible for the goal umpire to call for a score review in this situation?? Is our defender (Burton?) not entitled to play the field umpire's call and let that run through as a behind?

Yeah that was insanity.

If the umpire calls touched off the boot, that decision should be final. We don't review other field umpire decisions. We don't review if there was another hand on the ball in the marking contest.

I could maybe agree with a touched off the boot call review, if the ball sails through without any player involvement. But once the ball bounces or players can reach it to touch it on the line, then it's a seperate play. If you hear the ball is touched, of course you're not gonna go as hard to knock it over the line.

Scott can piss off opposition fans but he’s one of my favourite coaches. Smart, focussed and hard nosed. I’d appoint him as Port’s coach in a heart beat. That’s stating the bloody obvious though.
A lot of his opinions can be incredibly self (Geelong) serving. But his views on wider AFL issues are pretty accurate.

Last edited:
You are right. I have been a bit harsh on most of the 3rd quarter effort.

The 22.48 mark is when Willie snaps the goal from 35 out, from the boundary throw in and its 14.7 to 8.8.

6 goals up and I thought, we kick 2 more and get to 16 goals, we win as they will only kick 12 or 13 goals if we keep a 5 or 6 goal margin for most of the rest of the game. Highlights show its 4.40 left when Willie goals.

Up to that pt we have scored 2.2 vs 3.2 and they did have the majority of the momentum, but not that much more than we had.

Then we go loose in defence, Closes goal at 26.54 after taking an uncontested mark 35m out, and I think, don't give any more goals away there is only 3 minutes or so left in the 3rd quarter. Willie then has his brain fade with the clock shows 1.26 to go when Gutherie is marched 100m up the field. There is 1.05 to go when Gutherie kicks the goal.

We can't win the ball out of the guts, or just kill it for multiple ball ups and then Aliir gives away a terrible free to Dempsey, who goes back and goals and we have handed over the momenteum. Go to the 3/4 time break 14.8 to 9.8 and we can't lose. Instead they are on 11.8.

When Georgiades took that great mark and solid conversion we go 4 goals up again and I think 1 more and we win. JHF should have kicked the 16th and locked it up. But he had a shocker. At least he kicked a point.

So we played 2.75 very good quarters, but struggled and went back to old habits and made some stupid errors in the remaining 1.25 quarters.
The third was okay until the last 2:30, 3 goals in time on!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting. A more defensive role is probably where Sinn's best chance to lock in a spot is at the moment.

Houston, Burton and Farrel + Jones as a slightly more defensive player feels like we have too many attacking defenders. When all fit, Burton's position probably needs to be someone who has some pace and can lockdown more when needed.

Could really tell the boy wanted to run and probably showcase his ability more but agree we have many of those back types and even then on a wing i wouldnt fully trust sinn against someone like a cameron or macrae two way running especially when sinn managed 87/132mins on ground and we have boak bergman and burgoyne for that position

If anyone here has a subscription to the advertiser please let me know so I can add you to my ignore list
I haven’t lived in Adelaide for almost 25 years and things just don’t change.
KG and Cornes still on 5 double Crow and the Advertiser not worth wiping your arse with.

If anyone here has a subscription to the advertiser please let me know so I can add you to my ignore list
The lady living across the road still has her Advertiser/Sunday mail delivered every morning. Surely there can't be too many of them left.

Getting a bitta 08/09 vibes about this season as in which port will turn up? but its not game to game its quarter to quarter which i guess is a bit more concerning and frustrating for us supporters. Capable of the first half and a bit of the cats game and first quarter of the pies game, even looking so slick against the bombers but at the same time can pull out games like the crows

Loved to get a win at the Cattery. Brilliant first half, some brain fades late in the third which got them back in it. Umpires would be a bit disappointed they couldn't get the cats over the line. A couple of bizarre calls there ,especially the Drew into Cameron one, I mean WTF.
But..... some really poor defensive efforts in the second half. Houston was really poor I thought, caught out ball watching ,hardly saw him take a contested saving mark in the second half. I didn't think he was great last week against the cows either. Hopefully he can get back to his best. Kenny won the Granny which I was pleased for him.

I mean really, the irony on that is so astronomical it probably caused the geomagnetic storms! 🤣
59 subscriber comments on the article when I copied it to paste here. Can only imagine the sophisticated wit contained in those.

Say what you will about that trash rag - but they know their audience.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back