Review What do you mean we f**king won at Geelong?

Remove this Banner Ad

Even though it was a great win and team effort there was plenty to learn from it.

I would love to see a map of where Geelong scored their goals. Most were directly in front from 30-40 metres. How does that happen? and can we please copy it.

Marshall and Georgie don't put enough pressure on the rebounding backs.

Port players, coaches continue to say when we are in front "we knew they would come back hard at us ..." Its a self fulfilling prophesy. We've got to keep attacking.

Great win
Good even contribution, only Houston a bit down
Good forward structure & deliveries
Good games from youngsters mead, Visentini & lesser extent sinn
Rat good game
Kpf forwards quiet but liked georgiadis cool head for 2nd goal & both he & Marshall made some good defensive efforts late
Except for the last few minutes of the third we win that by 4-5 goals
Me so happy

There isn’t a count down clock he can see. Our bench gives a 1 minute warning but that’s not enough in those circumstances

Pretty sure they held up an "00:30" sign, of course that doesn't mean Rioli saw it. But he had possession of the ball from a good scoring position and under little pressure for a couple of seconds before the siren went, and he chose in that moment to continue to close the distance and open up the angle a little rather than to take the shot. Maybe he was thinking that retaining possession was all they needed for victory and that it was better to ensure a goal than to risk a behind and handing the ball back to Geelong, but in any case the opportunity was there.

Wines had more handball to kicks ratio, that’s where it needs to be. I think Carr finally worked it out.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
He kicked a nice long goal though I wouldn't swap that for another 10 handballs. The point here is that he needs to get clear to make the kicks he gets to cause damage not to be kicking when off balance, while trying to run "too fast" or under pressure.

I think Scott is one of the very few coaches who genuinely intimidates sports journos in his after match conferences. They seem to scared to ask him the tough questions.
Known a couple of journalists over the years, some the most fearless & quick thinking people I’ve met. The type in afl media are just there to get a free watch of the game & stroke egos.

I agree, I think Collingwood showed that last year, played intense in burst especially the third and then were very adept of clogging up the play too rest.
Yup, that's the next stage for us.

When we're on, we are elite. But when the momentum swings against us, we are so easy to open up. We need to be able to just slow the opposition up and keep the scoreboard still for a period of time.

I didn’t think Scott was that bad, he is answering what he’s asked. His comments were more broad about the overall shape of the game whilst not ton potting umpires
Mathouse had a big crack at him on ABC radio today. Also said that Geelong overall got the rub of the green (and always do at Kadinia Park).

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Re scott complaining about the umpires:

1. Geelong won the free kick count 19-17
2. Free kicks were in favour of Port 2-9 early in the second quarter
3. For the remainder of the match, free kicks favoured Geelong 17-8

AFLxScore
@AFLxScore
#AFLCatsPower Final xScores:
GEEL 93 from expected 92.2 (+2 rushed)
PORT 100 from expected 92.3 (+1 rushed)

1715399841331.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That part late in the 4th qtr where port were trying to keep the ball in the forward line great footy. That how hard port used to play and how hard the sanfl was in the 70s. Bring back that play. It shows the players had courage and can handle the pressure. The backing off after half time is waving the white flag. I appreciate keeping that intensity up is impossible for the full game.
WillinRioli is the X factor - defenders are frightened of him.

Player Ratings

Top 20 - Stewart snuck in there but less than his predicted rating which is based on season average.

Our top 3 were way above their predicted rating.

1715400109954.png

For the Jed Heads, he was well above predicted rating and just lower than Stewart.

Jed should be a bit like Liber under Malthouse. Malthouse only played him when it was wet. Play Jed only against Stewart. That's the 2nd time he has done a job on him.

1715400721075.png

I thought it was a rip roaring win and kudos to the coaches who went in without our captain and had a good gameplan.
We played some defensive types of games and I thought we really eked it out.
To win at GHB Stadium is always a great win as we usually get pummelled by them.
A bit of a gutsy win too.
Well done to Butters in his first game as captain. That was a Herculean effort by the lads.
I think we played like a team. Does that sound weird?

THE GOOD

Rioli could've kicked 7. He also had 5 i50 tackles
The Hornet just killed in the first half.
Wines was very impressive. 33 possies, 9 clearances, 7 tackles, 7 marks, 11 scoring involvements but only 1 inside 50, that's crazy. Really helped the other midfielders spread and play well.
Butters played a very good captains game.
Visentini looked the goods. Still developing but can't wait to see more of it.
The tall backmen did well. Rat and Aliir had good intercept numbers. Zerk was excellent as usual.
Mead building.
Georgiades slowly building form.
The first quarter was just so sexy.
Finlayson playing a decent game but from his suspension.
Finlayson chilling Rioli out after the 100 metre penalty. Very impressive.
Pretty good kicking for goal.
We kinda fought hard for the win. They were coming back but we kept on keeping on.
Farrell the Barrell, the Castlemaine's Kids two long bombs.
Boak had a good last quarter.

THE MEDIOCRE

The umpiring was pretty good.
McEntee was good defensively but poor offensively
Byrne-Jones not amongst it.
Sinn was OK with his first game back. Hopefully he builds.
Dixon looked fantastic early but ran out of gas early.
Bergman played OK but I want to see more given the tools he has in the kit.

THE UGLY

Ken's after match celebration.
Drew getting pushed onto Cameron and he gets the free kick.
Still lazy and soft down back by the medium defenders.

Re scott complaining about the umpires:

1. Geelong won the free kick count 19-17
2. Free kicks were in favour of Port 2-9 early in the second quarter
3. For the remainder of the match, free kicks favoured Geelong 17-8
What's even more bizarre is that when we were 9-2 it felt about right. We were first to the ball and they were undisciplined and off their game.

And then we got tired and sloppy in the second and the 17-8 didn't feel too bad either.

Overall there were probably a few free kicks missed in tight to us, particularly to JHF, and the total maybe should have been closer to 19-20 than 19-17... but I guess what I'm saying is its rare to see a game where the umpiring has had less impact.

Even though it was a great win and team effort there was plenty to learn from it.

I would love to see a map of where Geelong scored their goals. Most were directly in front from 30-40 metres. How does that happen? and can we please copy it.

Marshall and Georgie don't put enough pressure on the rebounding backs.

Port players, coaches continue to say when we are in front "we knew they would come back hard at us ..." Its a self fulfilling prophesy. We've got to keep attacking.
A lot more chipping it around and going sideways after half time. Then when Geelong started to get on top the run and attack we had in the first half became blast and rush it forward, which is not the same thing.

I thought it was a rip roaring win and kudos to the coaches who went in without our captain and had a good gameplan.
To win at GHB Stadium is always a great win as we usually get pummelled by them.
Well done to Butters in his first game as captain. That was a Herculean effort by the lads.

THE GOOD

Wines was very impressive. 33 possies, 9 clearances, 7 tackles, 7 marks, 11 scoring involvements but only 1 inside 50, that's crazy. Really helped the other midfielders spread and play well.
The tall backmen did well. Rat and Aliir had good intercept numbers. Zerk was excellent as usual.
Mead building.
We kinda fought hard for the win. They were coming back but we kept on keeping on.

THE MEDIOCRE

THE UGLY

Agree 100%.
Re- the Drew head clash, should the Cat's player be cited for shoving Drew head first into Cameron. Both players could have been severely concussed in that incident. Irresponsible and reckless and totally needless for him to do.

Agree 100%.
Re- the Drew head clash, should the Cat's player be cited for shoving Drew head first into Cameron. Both players could have been severely concussed in that incident. Irresponsible and reckless and totally needless for him to do.
Well it should be a fine at least for reckless behaviour or something like that

THE GOOD

Mead building.

THE MEDIOCRE

THE UGLY

I thought Houston didn’t adapt very well, he is used to giving his opponent a bit of space and intercept marking, but Geelong have really accurate half forwards, he needed to play back shoulder more - felt like Geelong kicked 4-5 goals from this loose checking

Agree 100%.
It will be interesting to see what comes of it because what is the difference between hitting a bloke in the head in a contest and pushing a guy into the contest and hitting a blokes head, well, both blokes' heads.

Who knows in the AFL.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back