Review What do you mean we f**king won at Geelong?

Remove this Banner Ad

“Tactical masterclass from Ken Hinkley” according to Kane. Lolz!
I personally thought it was more we match up well on them and Scott thought he would cruise to a win.

He probably didn't see Dante killing Stanley and the midfield getting on top early. Once they moved Blivacs into the ruck, the game went back to a contest.

When you see that Ollie can still play like that you realise just how deep this midfield is. Rozee, Butters, Horne-Francis and Wines are absolute top shelf, A grade, All Australian calibre players on their day. It's obscene that Drew is our 5th best midfielder and then you throw in Mead, not to mention the old campaigner Boak who could probably still do it if needed.

The only comparison I've got is Brisbane 2002 when they had the Fab 4 Voss, Akermanis, Black, Lappin plus Power and Headland before he went to Freo.

The Eagles midfield was stacked at the top but didn't have that sort of depth.

Can people see the connection between Rozee being out and Wines stepping his game up? There's only so many possessions in a game of football, there's only so many midfield minutes in a game of football. I think rather than criticising people need to acknowledge that this is a Brownlow medallist who has put his ego aside and become a role player for the betterment of the team. He can still do it when we need him to.

The moral in that argument is you can only fit so many genuine midfielders into one side. We have Butters, Rozee, Horne- Francis, Drew and Wines all trying to fit into three or four slots. You are right in the face of the competition Wines has had to step back a little. I just wish we had the same competition for places in our forward line.

Jesus

You can't deny his 2 premierships and W-L record, but my god Chris Scott likes to have a serious SOOK sometimes.

A full 5 minutes of his 14 minute presser dedicated to the umps.

Yes, I noted that. Scott is basically putting the loss down to a poor umpiring decision in the dying minutes. If the decision had gone the other way we wouldn't have heard anything from him on the subject. ******* sook took a shot at the rule book but it was really a veiled shot at the umpires. Scott should cop a fine but he won't as he coaches a Victorian side.

Umpire appreciation round, STFU Chris Scott.

Geelong was equal top, at a ground they’ve lost only 16 times in Chris Scott tenure. When did he start? 2011, 16 losses in 13 seasons, they were always coming back and hard.

Splitting up our record at Taxpayer Funded Park.

1997-2007 - 11 seasons for 7 games

2-5

Everyone remembers Dom's late goal game in 2007, but in 2003 we were in front by 5 pts with 3 minutes to go, Geelong had the wind and Ben Graham took a mark about 60m out and went for a pass for a player leading back towards goal into the hole in the front of goal square and he did a chip kick pass and the wind got it and it bounced at the top of the goal square and went thru for a goal with about 45 seconds to go. He didn't even try and thump it towards the goals.

We lost by 10 pts in 2006 8.10 v 9.14. IIRC it was a typically shitty day down there, rain and wind and the margin was always a goal or two difference.

So a 3-4 result at end of 2007 should have been the record and that would have been decent. In 2002 we were 80pts up early in the last quarter and then did the usual Choco BS and they kicked 7 goals to our 2 goals and we won by 46pts,

2008-2012 - 5 seasons for 5 games
0-5

We copped a few hidings. Margins were between 34 and 95pts

2013-2024 -12 seasons for 5 games
1-4

We should have won in 2017, but Dixon taking more than 30 seconds to try and kick the sealer and put us 10pts up, he was called play on, tackled, ball goes down the other end and Dangerfield snaps a goal from stoppage 20m out and we lose by 2pts.

We had 4 and 6 goal losses either side of that game and last year when we had the chance again, they weren't in great form, but we were banged up in Rd 21, we hit the front early in last quarter, racked up 3 or 4 consecutive pts before they scored and lose by 2 goals.

So we could have been a 6-11 record which is about as good as it gets down there over nearly 3 decades by the non Vic sides, and even the Vic sides. Instead it's a very poor 3-14 record.

In Adelaide minor round our record is 8-1-11 and our finals record is SA 3-0, Vic 0-2.
Overall all record is 14-1-27.

The best we could do to square the ledger, is probably by 2050 given we usually play 3 games over 2 years, and at best we will win 2 out of 3 games as it won't be some long streak of 6 in a row type thing. But I think the world will get to Net Zero before we have a 50/50 record against them, and that wont happen despite good intentions, until years after 2050.

Obviously, I remember the two games in 2007 but for some reason, a game against Geelong, I think down at the Cattery I remember well is a game in which Jimmy Bartel was just tearing us a new one and then the tragic news of Princess Diana came on and they crossed over to it and then every channel had it on and I was really angry as I wanted to watch the footy but Geelong were putting on a show and I know it was a big deal as such and I like Princess Diana like the next guy but I just wanted to watch the footy.

Winning again in Geelong is the equivalent to finally beating North Mebourne in 2003. Steps to overcome towards the ultimate success.

Obviously, I remember the two games in 2007 but for some reason, a game against Geelong, I think down at the Cattery I remember well is a game in which Jimmy Bartel was just tearing us a new one and then the tragic news of Princess Diana came on and they crossed over to it and then every channel had it on and I was really angry as I wanted to watch the footy but Geelong were putting on a show and I know it was a big deal as such and I like Princess Diana like the next guy but I just wanted to watch the footy.

No, that happened ten years earlier, while we were playing St Kilda in R22 of our first season - we just needed a win or draw to make the finals, but got beaten quite convincingly. St Kilda made the granny that year (and gave the Camry Crows their penultimate premiership), so I suppose they must've been fairly good.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nothing compared to being a kid in 2001 and waking up one morning to no Cheez TV. Lifelong trauma

No, that happened ten years earlier, while we were playing St Kilda in R22 of our first season - we just needed a win or draw to make the finals, but got beaten quite convincingly. St Kilda made the granny that year (and gave the Camry Crows their penultimate premiership), so I suppose they must've been fairly good.
I'm not sure but I think the Bartel game I am talking about might be between 2004 and 2007 so nowhere near Princess Diana or any big world event. I'm going to have to go chase it up.

We should have won in 2017, but Dixon taking more than 30 seconds to try and kick the sealer and put us 10pts up, he was called play on, tackled, ball goes down the other end and Dangerfield snaps a goal from stoppage 20m out and we lose by 2pts.
Two things from that Dixon incident 1. Who was controlling that count clock - some bozzo who worked the scoreboard or an AFL official? and 2 how was that Geelong player who tackled Dixon allowed to be so close to him when the umpy said play on and Dixon was still preparing for his kick?. AFL usual comment, “nothing to see there” because it’s only Port.

Last edited:
I still vividly remember when we were 5 points up against the Cats at Optus Stadium and Princess Diana took that massive hanger on the back of Jackson Trengove in the pocket and nailed it after the siren. Will never forget her doing that stupid shhh gesture to the Port cheer squad behind the goal.

I'm not sure but I think the Bartel game I am talking about might be between 2004 and 2007 so nowhere near Princess Diana or any big world event. I'm going to have to go chase it up.
I seem to remember a person being rescued from a landslide at Thredbo. I am sure they cut from the game but that was 1997.

Two things from that Dixon incident 1. Who was controlling that count clock - some bozzo who worked the scoreboard or an AFL official? and 2 how was that Geelong player who tackled Dixon allowed to be so close to him when the umpy said play on and Dixon was still preparing for his kick?. AFL usual comment, “nothing to see there” because it’s only Port.
The Dixon incident was an absolute Barry Crocker by both the umpires and the time keepers, but the coup de grace for that game came about 30 seconds later when Danger Mouse was given way too much space goal side of the pack at a stoppage just outside their goal square and was allowed to score the sealer with virtually no pressure from any opponent.

I seem to remember a person being rescued from a landslide at Thredbo. I am sure they cut from the game but that was 1997.

Stuart Diver. He has had an extraordinary life, he remarried after his wife was killed at Thredbo and his second wife died of breast cancer. Leigh Sales interviewed him for her book Any Ordinary Day and he is remarkably positive and philosophical about life.

And yes they did drop the game even though the whole time the video was of people standing around a hole and nothing happening.

We lost the game by 85 points and Jason Snell kicked 5 goals. Snell broke his leg in a game in 2001 and that ended his footy career. He was barely able to walk properly years after that injury.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back