List Mgmt. What does VB deserve?

Remove this Banner Ad

Half reckon he would have played on the weekend if fit.

Still, not interested in charity games for him. If we think he's the best selection, so be it, but can't select him for any other reason. He's had a long and proud career, but also hasnt been able to get anywhere near his best form for years now (as distinct from never being any good, which is a re-writing of history).

There is no chance VB gets another game and that has nothing to do with VB bashing. He's injured with a reasonably long injury. We have Brown and Seedsman to come back in and other options in the SANFL.

He gets a lap of honour against West Coast.

Is it a foot injury? I think he was listed as 2-4 weeks which means 2-4 months if it's the foot.

Half reckon he would have played on the weekend if fit.

Still, not interested in charity games for him. If we think he's the best selection, so be it, but can't select him for any other reason. He's had a long and proud career, but also hasnt been able to get anywhere near his best form for years now (as distinct from never being any good, which is a re-writing of history).

Half reckon you're crazy. Hendo was first in when Laird went down with injury. Hendo was still there when VB went back to the 2's. Hendo was clearly better performed in the 2's and can also play as a genuine winger. VB wasn't close, I expect he'd have been behind Kelly also. Not forgetting Kelly was I jured when VB last got the nod.

Half reckon you're crazy. Hendo was first in when Laird went down with injury. Hendo was still there when VB went back to the 2's. Hendo was clearly better performed in the 2's and can play as a genuine winger as well as be

Yeah, not unreasonable.

Just think Hendo/Laird and vB/Brown seen as different defending skill sets this year. Not sure we actually had anyone up for selection who fit Brown's skill set this round, hence the Hendo pick. Then again, I actually thought that was why Kelly would get a gig, so I wasnt exactly on point with that theory.

Righto. Cheers.

Well in that case this is his last year in an AFC guernsey.

It's a stupid rule.

I agree, both port power and crows should not be allowed to recruit 28 year old ex AFL players (for example) but when that player has been at your club close to 12 or 13 years, they should be allowed to retain that player and have special compensation to keep that player as an SANFL listed player.

Anyway, I don't think we flirt with form. So he isn't gifted a game and I don't think he warrants a place on an afl list next year.

I wouldn't do the one final game thing. If we are to rest someone I'd bring somebody in who is genuinely the next in line to give them an extra game in the AFL in case of injuries/form heading into the finals, as others have said, if that person is VB then well done to him, but not as a farewell.

Doesn't deserve a game unless form permits but some of the s**t that's said about him has been really disrespectful. Has played 205 games and been our club captain and given it his all every game. That kind of output for pick 24 in the draft you'd take every single day of the week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

VB is no idiot - he will not want to be gifted a 'farewell game '

He'd much rather see guys he has mentored take their chances and progress deep into finals

We don't need to appease him other than by being ruthless and playing our best footy with him continuing to mentor guys until end of season

Don't know the guy but from 10,000 miles away he would appear to be the kind of man who does not wish to be listed for the sake of being listed. I would think he only wants to be brought up if he was in form, others were not and it made sense given the matchups, etc...In other words, only if warranted.

I liked him as a player, never loved him but I will admit the last two years I have found myself defending him to the hilt. I think he was targeted to an extreme by many posters and it became sport/"cool" to bash him. He may not have been the player he was before his injury but he didn't single handidly lose us any game he ever played in a Crows jumper.

I expect the team will honor him when the time comes and would expect nothing less. But, tossing him out there just because? Nope..only way that possibly happens is if Round 22 is utterly meaningless.

I suspect that the whole question is moot, with VB's foot injury meaning that he's not going to be fit for selection between now and the end of the H&A season.

I think a lap of honour at the West Coast game is entirely appropriate.

Plus the lap with the rest of the retirees before our final game of the year.

I've got a feeling that one of Thommo or VB will go around again dependent upon whether Shaw plays on or retires though. The numbers are a bit hard given we could reasonably upgrade 2-3 rookies or just 1. It's definitely a gut feel though.

NO player is bigger than the club, which means unless we've got huge problems VB doesn't get a game.

lap of honour at the West Coast game at the very least though.

I have nothing against the bloke, but all the nice guy leadership talk will count for nought if he tries to force his way into going around again. He can't be on the list next year and he shouldn't be forcing the club to be the bad guy IMO, writing well and truly on the wall.

Righto. Cheers.

Well in that case this is his last year in an AFC guernsey.

has the option of him being our Reserves captain next year been closed.

Only read that quickly, but I see no rule change there about an ex AFL listed player not being allowed to listed soley for our AFL team. As Callinan was.

VB would be perfect for this role. He already looks like a coach when not playing there. Having an onfield coach is valuable for this program. It was a role Pods had last year, although he was AFL listed.

Has he announced he's retiring? Why is everybody assuming good he will retire.
VB is an endurance beast. He will be playing until he's 35 at least.

has the option of him being our Reserves captain next year been closed.

Only read that quickly, but I see no rule change there about an ex AFL listed player not being allowed to listed soley for our AFL team. As Callinan was.

VB would be perfect for this role. He already looks like a coach when not playing there. Having an onfield coach is valuable for this program. It was a role Pods had last year, although he was AFL listed.
If we can't would it be worth de-listing him then rookie list him with the specific aim of playing him as SANFL captian

if it's looking like we will get a home final, I think we say goodbye to him there. If not, it happens against the Eagles. No "let's bring him in against an easy side like Essendon or Brisbane" crap. that's the mentality that loses you games and the difference between top 4 or bottom 4.

If he is finished this season, he may well want to go back to WA and not even stay in Adelaide.

I think we still have the option to have the explayer captain, just had no one eligible this year. Those rule changes can't rule it out, as the article was from 2014 talking about the 2015 season - and Nutta payed in 2015.

There was an article from the beginning of this season talking about the requirements (ex player, first year off the list, over 30, 6 years for the club, or similar)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back