Opinion What I am worried about

Remove this Banner Ad

Captain chaos

Club Legend
Jul 13, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
The expectations are huge and I am just not so sure they should be. I realise I am looking at it a little half full but here are my concerns
  • The first 8 games of the draw present some tough challenges with us not playing any of the "bottom four" -nm, carl, gc, bris-two tough interstate trips and some challenges. You could make a case we could be 3/5 and the best I can see id 5/3
  • Say what you will about Lonergen and Mackie but they got a game every week and they wil have to be replaced. Henderson hadn't run for two months and will clearly be underdone in the first (tougher) part of the season. I don't believe Harry is at the peak of his powers either , so the backline will need to find several new good players and some harmony-that takes time
  • Motlop, not everyone's favourite, still needs to be replaced and could win a match off his own boot. Yes Ablett is that obvious replacement but we are all assuming we are getting the good old champion Gaz and not the old injury prone Gaz. The hamstring strain is a concern.
  • Hawkins-is he yesterday's man is the vein of Cloke? His type of player is being phased out of the game and he is our main forward.
  • Menzel-worried about his "intensity" and selfishness. Watching him in the two finals he played didn't fill me with joy
  • I am just worried we are only strong in one part of the ground-midfield and that is assuming Gaz is ok and Selwood hasn't lost a yard. I worry about the next five guys we have to bring in when there are injurys.
  • We have won 3 finals of our last 11-not great record under Scott and all this premiership talk assumes this problem will just go away this year. When push came to shove last year, both the grand finalists absolutely smashed us in the finals, indicating to me we are some way off it.

I think we are a fair way off the flag atm.

Hawkins has kicked 14 less goals than Cloke in 45 less games. He’s already had a better career playing a nearly identical role. If that sort of player is being phased out, he has a better chance of surviving the cull than what Cloke did.

There are some legitimate points in your post but I don’t think the one I’ve addressed offers much to worry about

We have won 3 finals of our last 11-not great record under Scott and all this premiership talk assumes this problem will just go away this year. When push came to shove last year, both the grand finalists absolutely smashed us in the finals, indicating to me we are some way off it.

Before last year's finals, Richmond were 0-3 in finals under Hardwick and Adelaide was 2-2 in finals since 2013.

Things can and do change quickly.

I believe there are plenty of holes in our team, but at the same time I don't see any opposition best 22s better than ours. The standard of the competition is weak.

• Banned
Before last year's finals, Richmond were 0-3 in finals under Hardwick and Adelaide was 2-2 in finals since 2013.

Things can and do change quickly.

I believe there are plenty of holes in our team, but at the same time I don't see any opposition best 22s better than ours. The standard of the competition is weak.

3/8 is a much bigger sample size than 0/3. I think Richmond's bottom 5 and the next 5 in are better than ours and their best four are probably better as well.

The smashing we received in the finals from the crows and tigers supports my theory. Hey, I hope I am wrong!

3/8 is a much bigger sample size than 0/3. I think Richmond's bottom 5 and the next 5 in are better than ours and their best four are probably better as well.

The smashing we received in the finals from the crows and tigers supports my theory. Hey, I hope I am wrong!

Richmonds bottom 5 of broad castagna butler townsend plus whichever spud they play as default 2nd kpf/2nd ruck are average potato farmer stuff, way worse than our bottom 6.

Richmond won because their top 6 were outstanding and hardwick devised a tactical defensive pressure gameplan that covered tge ability deficiencies of the rest of the 22.

There are valid critiques in your OP but i dont agree with that one.

unless there are a bunch of injuries there will be a lot of false hope and another prelim loss to look forward to

• Banned
Richmonds bottom 5 of broad castagna butler townsend plus whichever spud they play as default 2nd kpf/2nd ruck are average potato farmer stuff, way worse than our bottom 6.

Richmond won because their top 6 were outstanding and hardwick devised a tactical defensive pressure gameplan that covered tge ability deficiencies of the rest of the 22.

Still reckon their bottom 5 (plus next five in) are better than ours. Consider markov, C ellis, conca, miles, Bolton all didn't get a games and they are all pretty good for player 23-28

We need someone to counter with the glass half full thread.
not only that..

but what a great destination to move all the trolling posts to for the season.

This is perfect. This place gonna be chockers in no time!

GO Catters

Yep, Richmond are a perfect case study in the best team being more than the sum of its parts.

not only that..

but what a great destination to move all the trolling posts to for the season.

This is perfect. This place gonna be chockers in no time!

GO Catters
s**t stirer! :D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

unfortunately, neither are at geelong and we have different ideas from the outside looking in, or we just can't develop solid citizens all over the ground and depth
Maybe, or maybe it's our system.

I sound like a broken record but If we play more directly we'll win the premiership.

unless there are a bunch of injuries there will be a lot of false hope and another prelim loss to look forward to

Spoken like a true Nostra-know-nothing.

Unless of course you actually have seen the future..

Any winning lotto numbers or other facts you saw in the Delorian?

GO Catters

Disagree. I think they won because they got contributions from just about everyone in every final they played.

Yes, their top players were all prominent - Martin, Rance, Cotchin, and to a lesser extent Riewoldt. But they got consistent output from everyone. How many on here rated Grimes before the finals? He thrashed Toby Greene and Betts in successive weeks. The two I thought had huge queries under pressure in Houli and Grigg were both excellent. Nankervis more than held his own in the ruck, and even guys like Edwards played well.

More importantly, they worked for each other far more than any other team. It wasn't an accident and it wasn't lucky. Hopefully, we can emulate that kind of team chemistry and effort this year.

Disagree. I think they won because they got contributions from just about everyone in every final they played.

Yes, their top players were all prominent - Martin, Rance, Cotchin, and to a lesser extent Riewoldt. But they got consistent output from everyone. How many on here rated Grimes before the finals? He thrashed Toby Greene and Betts in successive weeks. The two I thought had huge queries under pressure in Houli and Grigg were both excellent. Nankervis more than held his own in the ruck, and even guys like Edwards played well.

More importantly, they worked for each other far more than any other team. It wasn't an accident and it wasn't lucky. Hopefully, we can emulate that kind of team chemistry and effort this year.

Bottom 6 canl win you flags. At the pointy end all teams will have stars and often they will "cancel each other out" - thus the bottom 6 on the list can often be the difference.

We had Shagga Byrnes and TV make differences to help win us flags. No shame in being bottom 6 - its just facts - but when the stand up they can be the difference maker.

GO Catters

I don’t get it.

Your join date could be construed as the action of a supporter revelling in another GF win, and the enjoyment of being a GFC supporter, but your posting suggests otherwise.

I’m all for justified criticism, but surely there’s room for some justified praise too?

Being consistently negative suggests there’s no enjoyment to be found for you with the GFC, which seems to be either contradictory or sadomasochistic.

Genuine question.

I don’t get it.

Your join date could be construed as the action of a supporter revelling in another GF win, and the enjoyment of being a GFC supporter, but your posting suggests otherwise.

I’m all for justified criticism, but surely there’s room for some justified praise too?

Being consistently negative suggests there’s no enjoyment to be found for you with the GFC, which seems to be either contradictory or sadomasochistic.

Genuine question.
Don’t bother the argument never goes anywhere they are entitled to their depressive outlook.

Glad that’s not my mindset

The expectations are huge and I am just not so sure they should be. I realise I am looking at it a little half full but here are my concerns
  • The first 8 games of the draw present some tough challenges with us not playing any of the "bottom four" -nm, carl, gc, bris-two tough interstate trips and some challenges. You could make a case we could be 3/5 and the best I can see id 5/3
  • Say what you will about Lonergen and Mackie but they got a game every week and they wil have to be replaced. Henderson hadn't run for two months and will clearly be underdone in the first (tougher) part of the season. I don't believe Harry is at the peak of his powers either , so the backline will need to find several new good players and some harmony-that takes time
  • Motlop, not everyone's favourite, still needs to be replaced and could win a match off his own boot. Yes Ablett is that obvious replacement but we are all assuming we are getting the good old champion Gaz and not the old injury prone Gaz. The hamstring strain is a concern.
  • Hawkins-is he yesterday's man is the vein of Cloke? His type of player is being phased out of the game and he is our main forward.
  • Menzel-worried about his "intensity" and selfishness. Watching him in the two finals he played didn't fill me with joy
  • I am just worried we are only strong in one part of the ground-midfield and that is assuming Gaz is ok and Selwood hasn't lost a yard. I worry about the next five guys we have to bring in when there are injurys.
  • We have won 3 finals of our last 11-not great record under Scott and all this premiership talk assumes this problem will just go away this year. When push came to shove last year, both the grand finalists absolutely smashed us in the finals, indicating to me we are some way off it.

I think we are a fair way off the flag atm.

1. Port, Sydney and the Giants are the only tough games in our first eight and two of them are in Geelong.

2. Our defence is greater than two players. The whole is greater than the sum of its parts.

3. A limbless Gaz is twice as good as Motlop of 2017.

4. Hawkins kicked 51 goals last year, was top 10 in the comp for goals, marks inside 50, tackles inside 50, goals per game and marks inside 50 per game. He was also top 20 for contested marks.

5. Agree on Menzel but we have options. He also kicked 40 goals last year.

Seriously, it’s like supporters on the board look for reasons to complain. We finished in the top 2 in the H&A season last year, be grateful to support such a great club.

1. Port, Sydney and the Giants are the only tough games in our first eight and two of them are in Geelong.

2. Our defence is greater than two players. The whole is greater than the sum of its parts.

3. A limbless Gaz is twice as good as Motlop of 2017.

4. Hawkins kicked 51 goals last year, was top 10 in the comp for goals, marks inside 50, tackles inside 50, goals per game and marks inside 50 per game. He was also top 20 for contested marks.

5. Agree on Menzel but we have options. He also kicked 40 goals last year.

Seriously, it’s like supporters on the board look for reasons to complain. We finished in the top 2 in the H&A season last year, be grateful to support such a great club.

I think you are underestimating a trip to Perth and Melbourne FC.
I did note Henderson hadn't run for two months. Who exactly replaces the two departed defenders?
Hawkins never leaves the 50 so his stats should be good!

I repeat, the two best sides smashed us when the heat was on.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back