Society/Culture What makes a man a man?

Remove this Banner Ad

So, simplistic hedonism then?

There is a freedom of mind that comes with simplistic hedonism that makes interacting with other people so much easier. Pleasures have no race, no creed, no anger or rage to burn. You pursue experiences. You feel good, you make others feel good.

I'm far from an ambitious man, but simplicity in my life is a goal I aim to maintain.

There is a freedom of mind that comes with simplistic hedonism that makes interacting with other people so much easier. Pleasures have no race, no creed, no anger or rage to burn. You pursue experiences. You feel good, you make others feel good.

I'm far from an ambitious man, but simplicity in my life is a goal I aim to maintain.

When nothing really matters it makes it easier to stomach that you don't matter. When you're living in the moment you're tuned out to the voice in your head suggesting that your dreams and hopes have passed you by and your pursuit of material things to fill a void of meaning and status of your life has left you somehow full of nothings.

The world is full of people ready to fight for a cause they don't know they need, they don't even know that is why they are drawn to collective groups and validating social behaviors. We are a generation that has never known suffering, has never had to climb out of any hole. We haven't triumphed over anything. We haven't beaten down the great evil over the hill. We haven't made a great leap forward and sacrificed for the next generation to enjoy.

We stand on the shoulders of giants and think we are flying, as they say.

We fill our lives attaching ourselves to causes we know nothing about because they are socially validated. We hold opinions about things we know nothing about because they are the dogma of the validation. We desperately need to belong to something so we can make getting up for another week of work exactly like the last, paying the rent again and avoid having to wake up to the reality that the alarm in the morning signals our own meaningless groundhog day in which we don't wake up to ourselves and learn an instrument.

Life is bleak. Get a man inside you, at least you'll matter to someone for a moment in some capacity.

Hedonism is subject to aesthetics.

When nothing really matters it makes it easier to stomach that you don't matter. When you're living in the moment you're tuned out to the voice in your head suggesting that your dreams and hopes have passed you by and your pursuit of material things to fill a void of meaning and status of your life has left you somehow full of nothings.

The world is full of people ready to fight for a cause they don't know they need, they don't even know that is why they are drawn to collective groups and validating social behaviors. We are a generation that has never known suffering, has never had to climb out of any hole. We haven't triumphed over anything. We haven't beaten down the great evil over the hill. We haven't made a great leap forward and sacrificed for the next generation to enjoy.

We fill our lives attaching ourselves to causes we know nothing about because they are socially validated. We hold opinions about things we know nothing about because they are the dogma of the validation. We desperately need to belong to something so we can make getting up for another week of work exactly like the last, paying the rent again and avoid having to wake up to the reality that the alarm in the morning signals our own meaningless groundhog day in which we don't wake up to ourselves and learn an instrument.

Life is bleak. Get a man inside you, at least you'll matter to someone for a moment in some capacity.

Living from experience to experience, moment to moment, IS a rollercoaster. It's definitely not all positives. I doubt I could really sell hedonism as a valid lifestyle choice to anyone and everyone but something about it just... works... for me. And it has broken down barriers, or eroded those ones that were already low and led to a greater understanding of myself.

I never wanted to make a mark on the world. I never believed in 'legacy'. As I am now, I am the sum total of all my years of life thus far, and I'm not bored yet. That's all I need.

Sometimes, but even that varies from person to person. I've felt a chemistry/sexual magnetism with some fairly 'conventionally unattractive' people and much fun was had by all. You are right though - asthetics usually plays its part as a factor.
Aesthetics isn't solely concerned with physical beauty.
One of the symptoms of the rot settling in modern society is the simplification of complex language, and the gradual erosion or alteration of meaning over time. Like "pride".

The form that hedonism takes in an individual is symptomatic of state of mind, and that is dependent upon aesthetics.

Last edited:

Wow that was deep, loved it, can I plagiarize that?

Very poetic, but I can't see it as anything other than antithetical to how I see the world. We're drawn to each other, because each other is the point. I see value in my life via service, the subsuming of the self in favour of those I can help/protect/teach.

I wonder how happy this makes you, Taylor. It's lovely, but twisted. Even the finest wine is, at the end of it, rotten grapes.

Very poetic, but I can't see it as anything other than antithetical to how I see the world. We're drawn to each other, because each other is the point. I see value in my life via service, the subsuming of the self in favour of those I can help/protect/teach.

I wonder how happy this makes you, Taylor. It's lovely, but twisted. Even the finest wine is, at the end of it, rotten grapes.
You've missed my intention. It was a dive into the futility and pointlessness of filling the void in your life with equally unfufilling instant gratifications.

Aaaaaaaaaand scene

You've missed my intention. It was a dive into the futility and pointlessness of filling the void in your life with equally unfufilling instant gratifications.

Aaaaaaaaaand scene

Who says it's a void? Family? Friends? Society? I argue for collective good a LOT, and I'm probably going a bit towards sanctimonious about it at times, but there's something to be said for individual pursuits as well. The pursuit of happiness in ones own life seen as a mere void-filling excercise for instance - I don't buy that skewed-towards-the-negative view for a second.

We're all different though, I get that. Taylor Black's values are not Geelong Sicko's and that's more than fair enough.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who says it's a void? Family? Friends? Society? I argue for collective good a LOT, and I'm probably going a bit towards sanctimonious about it at times, but there's something to be said for individual pursuits as well. The pursuit of happiness in ones own life seen as a mere void-filling excercise for instance - I don't buy that skewed-towards-the-negative view for a second.

We're all different though, I get that. Taylor Black's values are not Geelong Sicko's and that's more than fair enough.
The first value of mine is that if you're of sound mind you should be free to do whatever you want that doesn't harm anyone else.

So we align quite well actually.

For example, There is a scene in the shining where two people are engaged in a private act and some screaming and armed crazy lady bursts in and we are supposed to judge.

Stuff that. They weren't hurting anyone.

You do you. Or your momentary boyfriend in an animal suit.

All i know is a man should never ever listen to women when they claim "all i want is that you are always honest with me"
Thats a trap for young players.

If you get caught on the lie its the same net result as telling her an evil truth anyway.

So dont be silly.
Real men LIE. It is one of the most unselfish thing you can do in a relationship. It keeps women happy.

I haven't felt this level of testosterone-fulled inspiration since the last time I watched Brad Pitt acting as Tyler Durden.

Are you starting a fight club?

I haven't felt this level of testosterone-fulled inspiration since the last time I watched Brad Pitt acting as Tyler Durden.

Are you starting a fight club?
The thought of Brad Pitt sweaty and shirtless doesn't make me want to fight. Entirely wrong f word

I wonder if the stovepipe hat was a further assertion of dominance? I imagine the hat-wearing era had its own rules that are lost on us plebs these days.

582385FD-155D-4519-3EA595E80576A89F.jpg

Or was he overcompensating for something?
Probably dressing military style in an era where governments were militaristic

women will always defend their own kid no matter what he/she has done.

a man has the ability to recognize that sometimes his own kid was the arse**hole and in the wrong.

and yes we are generalizing chief.

Are you saying women don't have the ability to recognize what a male does? If so that's drawing a very long bow.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back