What They're Saying - The Bulldogs Media Thread - Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Libber was a friggin star in 2014, ACL in 15, severely underrated in 16, admittedly ordinary in 17 and ACL in 18. If Clay Smith, Roarke Smith and Redpath we’re allowed to stay during ACLs over similar time frames without being anywhere near as good as Tom in 14 and 16, then it wasn’t Libbers name that saved him. It was pure talent based performance ( save 17)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ws3OTCNC_bigger.jpg
NAB AFL Trade Radio‏Verified account @traderadio 2h2 hours ago

Adam Cooney believes Tom Liberatore has been saved by his famous surname. Will he still be at the Bulldogs next season?
That, and his proven ability to play football.

That, and his proven ability to play football.
Agree, somewhat. Dahlhaus has proven ability as well. Injuries or not, we here hang too much on what this and that player did over two years ago. Could point out all of our mid 20 players who've been around our club for ages had their best seasons BEFORE the flag. Libba's one great season should be looked at alone, one great season shows potential, not definite ability. It's consistency over a period that proves performance. I think Libba's injuries being an excuse for holding him back is what has saved him, not his name or one great season. He has had a couple of other good seasons as well. But the heights of 2014 haven't been near since. The benefit of the doubt factor. If he doesn't get injured again, he has zero excuses to not finding his ability again. If he doesn't, it's because either he didn't put in enough, or never was as good as we thought. At his age he should be peaking and holding that peak for the next 4-5 years before the inevitable slumber that comes with age.

ws3OTCNC_bigger.jpg
NAB AFL Trade Radio‏Verified account @traderadio 2h2 hours ago

Adam Cooney believes Tom Liberatore has been saved by his famous surname. Will he still be at the Bulldogs next season?
Libba has survived because his best is absolutely elite. He is a b&f winner.

In 2013 he won 183 clearances, by a long way the most .by a Bulldog in recorded history. 2md on the list is Libba in 2014.

Having an all time great clearance winner is kind of valuable, especially when he is also a quality user and all time great tackler.

That is why he is being given every opportunity. to say it's his surname is ignorant and dumb.

Libber was a friggin star in 2014, ACL in 15, severely underrated in 16, admittedly ordinary in 17 and ACL in 18. If Clay Smith, Roarke Smith and Redpath we’re allowed to stay during ACLs over similar time frames without being anywhere near as good as Tom in 14 and 16, then it wasn’t Libbers name that saved him. It was pure talent based performance ( save 17)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks. I could not have said it as well as that.

Libba has survived because his best is absolutely elite. He is a b&f winner.

In 2013 he won 183 clearances, by a long way the most .by a Bulldog in recorded history. 2md on the list is Libba in 2014.

Having an all time great clearance winner is kind of valuable, especially when he is also a quality user and all time great tackler.

That is why he is being given every opportunity. to say it's his surname is ignorant and dumb.

Yeah, that's Cooney.

Adams going nowhere: Bulldogs
The Dogs are prepared to hold Marcus Adams to the remaining two years on his contract, despite the defender expressing an interest in going to Brisbane.

MARCUS ADAMS

"He signaled that intention, that he'd like a fresh start at Brisbane but he's got two years and he's a required player so we'll hold him to his contract," list manager Sam Power said.

"With the information we have, we're keen to retain him."

79680e87-de45-4c3d-bc38-2c31838968fa_800.jpg

Marcus Adams wants to be a Lion but the Dogs are demanding he see out his contract.

Plus updates on ...

CHAD WINGARD

"We're interested but there's new nothing to report there.

"There is no timeline."

SAM LLOYD

"Sam's indicated he'd like to come to the Bulldogs ... we'll have those discussions with Richmond and hopefully come to a trade."

JORDAN ROUGHEAD

"He wants to explore his free agency options, he's entitled to.

"There's nothing further to report, we're waiting to hear back from Jordan.

"He could potentially be at the Bulldogs."

TOM LIBERATORE

"We're really confident Tom will be at the Bulldogs and we're close to finalising something there."

Sort of Bulldogs related... I had to re-read the first line about speaking to a few counts/ clubs face to face...

From Trade Radio 5 mins ago....

Brisbane GM of football David Noble is talking to NAB AFL Trade Radio.

On the day

“It was a feeling out process. We needed to speak to a couple of counts face to face. Geelong good to deal with over Lincoln McCarthy.”

On McCarthy

“I like the capacity as a small forward, mark the ball and decision making. when he’s fit and avail;able, Geelong were keen to play him and some of his football was reply exciting.

On Lachie Neale

“Amicable discussions. We waned to know where they were coming from. We have homework to do with therm. We’ll have constant meetings and catch-ups.”

On Marcus Adams

"There has been some recognition of what we're trying to create and thbat has an attraction for some players. Players and managers do a lot of work to identify where they can help ands fill a need and he and his manager have had a look at that. We're open to the conversation and have had some preliminary discussions with the Doggies.

Sort of Bulldogs related... I had to re-read the first line about speaking to a few counts/ clubs face to face...

From Trade Radio 5 mins ago....

Brisbane GM of football David Noble is talking to NAB AFL Trade Radio.

On the day

“It was a feeling out process. We needed to speak to a couple of counts face to face. Geelong good to deal with over Lincoln McCarthy.”

On McCarthy

“I like the capacity as a small forward, mark the ball and decision making. when he’s fit and avail;able, Geelong were keen to play him and some of his football was reply exciting.

On Lachie Neale

“Amicable discussions. We waned to know where they were coming from. We have homework to do with therm. We’ll have constant meetings and catch-ups.”

On Marcus Adams

"There has been some recognition of what we're trying to create and thbat has an attraction for some players. Players and managers do a lot of work to identify where they can help ands fill a need and he and his manager have had a look at that. We're open to the conversation and have had some preliminary discussions with the Doggies.

At what point are the Lions going to win more than a handful of games? I keep hearing how good they will be and how well they are setting up but still they remain bottom 4.
The club Adams has said he wants to leave had a younger side and won more games than the Lions this season.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Agree, somewhat. Dahlhaus has proven ability as well. Injuries or not, we here hang too much on what this and that player did over two years ago. Could point out all of our mid 20 players who've been around our club for ages had their best seasons BEFORE the flag. Libba's one great season should be looked at alone, one great season shows potential, not definite ability. It's consistency over a period that proves performance. I think Libba's injuries being an excuse for holding him back is what has saved him, not his name or one great season. He has had a couple of other good seasons as well. But the heights of 2014 haven't been near since. The benefit of the doubt factor. If he doesn't get injured again, he has zero excuses to not finding his ability again. If he doesn't, it's because either he didn't put in enough, or never was as good as we thought. At his age he should be peaking and holding that peak for the next 4-5 years before the inevitable slumber that comes with age.
Dahlhaus has proven ability, and the club offered him a contract, just like they're doing with libba.

Libba has only had one bad season. Other than that, he's had two ACLs and several good seasons. It's the several good seasons that are saving him- not the injuries.

AFL trade news: Chad Wingard Instagram posts leaves Port Adelaide ‘furious’, says Kane Cornes
f323d12cebc6f2eb31f84ce3f1bffe56

The future of Port Adelaide’s Chad Wingard remains unclear.
PORT Adelaide great Kane Cornes says he can’t see gun forward Chad Wingard playing for the Power next year after his somewhat cryptic statement left the club fuming.

While Wingard is contracted to the Power for another year, his future remains a mystery after he released a statement via Instagram last week indicating he would talk publicly when the time is right.

The Western Bulldogs have confirmed they are interested in recruiting the two-time All-Australian, but it remains unclear whether Wingard wants to leave the Power.

Get the ultimate AFL experience on your phone with the new FOX FOOTY App. Download it NOW for FREE on iOS and Android!

“You’ll hear my side of the story when the time is right dw (don’t worry) about that,” Wingard posted on Instagram.

“But unless a statement comes from me or my management don’t listen to them. “Thank you for all the support over the last couple of week it means a lot.”

Journalist Damien Barrett said Wingard’s statement was a “veiled reference” to both the media and the Power.

“That is a ‘woe is me’ type of outlook from a player who should be better than that and should be embracing the situation he has put himself into where his future at the club he was meant to be a star at for the rest of his life is now being played out publicly,” Barrett told Channel 9’s The Trade Table.

ace32a53818bdc3c517dbb94c67c6e0b

Chad Wingard is contracted to Port until the end of 2019.
Cornes said it would be difficult for Wingard to remain at the Power.

“I can tell you that the club’s not happy with that statement — they’re furious with that,” Cornes told The Trade Table.

“I just can’t see the fact where he now stays there. If you’ve got Chad Wingard not happy with the footy club and the club not happy with Wingard for that statement, it is almost to the point where I’m not sure he can go back.

The Power on Monday said Wingard hadn’t informed them that he wanted to be traded.

“The reality is, right now, nothing has compelled Chad to suggest he doesn’t want to be at Port Adelaide, as it stands,” said Power football manager Chris Davies.

placeholder.jpg

“From our end, we’d only need to know if he wasn’t planning on being with us.”

But Cornes said Wingard “pretty split” between the Power and the Bulldogs.

“There’s a serious offer from the Bulldogs,” Cornes said.

“Chad Wingard has a decision to make. Port Adelaide’s belief is that if he does leave, it will be a decision based on money and also the fact was not shown a lot of love in his exit meeting with Ken Hinkley at the end of the season.”

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/cou...s/news-story/4a0975199f71d5adca3fd528a0235488

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What is Maguane saying in the Hun? Anyone able to post the story?
WESTERN BULLDOGS
WHAT THEY NEED

To get their contested footy mojo back. That was their No.1 strength in their premiership season and it has completely fallen away since. They were ranked No.1 for that in 2016, but this year they were ranked 16th. Their inability to score is a massive concern. They rank 15th for points scored and 16th for scoring once inside 50m. That’s the reason why they are chasing Chad Wingard so hard.

WHO’S ON THE TABLE

Luke Dahlhaus has already gone to Geelong, Jordan Roughead could potentially find a new home, while Mitch Honeychurch and Tom Campbell are not yet certain of their futures.

BURNING SUMMER QUESTION

Is being too young an excuse anymore? In my view, the answer to this is a big no. Birth certificates don’t matter anymore, and I don’t think you need to be experienced to play desperate footy. We all know how young the Bulldogs were at times this season. Their selected 22 this year had an average age of 23.54, which was the youngest of any side. That makes for inconsistent performances, in the contest and in pressure. But it is no longer an excuse. Desperate footy isn’t an age issue. The Dogs need to find that hard edge again in 2019.

WESTERN BULLDOGS
WHAT THEY NEED

To get their contested footy mojo back. That was their No.1 strength in their premiership season and it has completely fallen away since. They were ranked No.1 for that in 2016, but this year they were ranked 16th. Their inability to score is a massive concern. They rank 15th for points scored and 16th for scoring once inside 50m. That’s the reason why they are chasing Chad Wingard so hard.

WHO’S ON THE TABLE

Luke Dahlhaus has already gone to Geelong, Jordan Roughead could potentially find a new home, while Mitch Honeychurch and Tom Campbell are not yet certain of their futures.

BURNING SUMMER QUESTION

Is being too young an excuse anymore? In my view, the answer to this is a big no. Birth certificates don’t matter anymore, and I don’t think you need to be experienced to play desperate footy. We all know how young the Bulldogs were at times this season. Their selected 22 this year had an average age of 23.54, which was the youngest of any side. That makes for inconsistent performances, in the contest and in pressure. But it is no longer an excuse. Desperate footy isn’t an age issue. The Dogs need to find that hard edge again in 2019.
Age isn't an issue for effort, but it is for results. Despite some occasional exceptions (including HAwthorn 2008, Essendon 1993, WB in 2016 and to some extent in 2018) the overwhelming evidence is that footy sides need a solid rump of good senior players in the 24-29 age range to be successful.

It's always been the case and recent experience hasn't changed it.

Still, Maguane has to say something different to keep people reading. So for lightweight pot-boiling articles it's OK for him to say things like that. There's a germ of truth in it after all. In 2019 we do need to build on what was a growth and experience year in 2018.

WESTERN BULLDOGS
WHAT THEY NEED

WHO’S ON THE TABLE

BURNING SUMMER QUESTION

Thanks mate

The Lions just downgraded their 2nd round pick (from 24 to 32). The Bulldogs had asked the Lions for that pick 24 for Marcus Adams which they refused, so it looks more likely the Lions will now hand over pick 32 to us for Adams.

The Lions just downgraded their 2nd round pick (from 24 to 32). The Bulldogs had asked the Lions for that pick 24 for Marcus Adams which they refused, so it looks more likely the Lions will now hand over pick 32 to us for Adams.
Should keep Adam's or let Lions sort something better.

Need to stop letting people bend us over

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back