What They're Saying - The Bulldogs Media Thread - Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great read about macrae and everything we already know about, it seems the AFL world is catching up. it was good to see triple M rate him as the number 1 draft pick from 2012 as well.

anyway what i took from it was how much this group is focused on creating history, they dont care about the past and they want more success, from Bevo to dunkley no one is going to let anyone take it easy.

Suckling will want to get back
seems that Jong stayed to be a part of the success
think libba will take it easy? no way his best mate Wallis wasn't there that will drive the both of them
mclean dunkley daniel cordy wont be wanting to give up their spots easily, but know they have to improve to keep it.
Smith will play every game like its his last
and then there is bob, everyone will want to do everything in their power to get bob there

Western Bulldogs will only get stronger after breakthrough premiership, says Jon Ralph
JON RALPH, Herald Sun
December 4, 2016 8:00pm

A LACK of depth rivals complacency as the biggest killer of a back-to-back premiership charge.

Think of Hawthorn without a retired Shane Crawford and injured Trent Croad going into a 2009 tailspin.

By the time the side gets together after two months of partying, retirements and trades, it can look unrecognisable to the one that won the flag.

On Monday, the Western Bulldogs assemble for day one of pre-season training with an embarrassment of riches.

Gone are Nathan Hrovat and Koby Stevens, traded to North Melbourne and St Kilda respectively.

The player the Dogs lost but wanted to keep is defender Joel Hamling, lured back to the west on a bumper deal.

023207a7f2c81e46a49d52d979e6e11a

Bob Murphy will slot into defence in Round 1. Picture: Michael Klein
6624b087280395b9204e65dcdceb8b27

Mitch Wallis will return mid-season. Picture: Michael Klein

And yet in Round 1 the Bulldogs will have six quality players to slot back into the side that won the premiership.

Then Mitch Wallis (broken leg) and Jack Redpath (knee) are likely to force their way into the 22 when they return mid-season.

Coach Luke Beveridge can use the competition for places to shred any notions of complacency.

When you have to squeeze two star half-backs, two key forwards, a first-choice midfielder and an emerging full-back into your side, no one gets comfortable.

Those players are captain Bob Murphy, half-back Matt Suckling, key forward Stewart Crameri, full-forward Travis Cloke, midfielder Lin Jong and full-back Marcus Adams.

In case you thought the Dogs’ depth stopped there, Footscray won the VFL flag this year and Mitch Honeychurch, Lukas Webb, Bailey Dale and Tom Campbell will all be pushing for senior spots next season.

Cloke and Crameri could fit seamlessly in the forward line.

Cloke will be given a chance as the bash-and-crash mobile forward who creates spillages for Jake Stringer, Luke Dahlhaus, Clay Smith and Toby McLean.

a1142b9c63373032a38a81b3ff63e605

Marcus Adams’s season was ended by a foot injury. Picture: Michael Klein
5af9f3fb028dd2073576775ee5ccd30f

Matthew Suckling missed the Grand Final due to injury. Picture: Mark Stewart

Crameri will be allowed to roam far and wide with his supreme engine.

It means Zaine Cordy will return to his spot in defence, where he will fight with Adams to replace Hamling.

Adams was exceptional before a Round 15 foot injury ended his debut season, but will need to re-establish himself.

Bob Murphy is months ahead of schedule after his knee reconstruction and could slot into half- back again or be Beveridge’s wildcard.

Imagine him pinch-hitting at half-forward, or floating up and down the wing.

Beveridge has created such an ethos of versatility that Norm Smith Medallist Jason Johannisen or Shane Biggs could be on a wing next year.

Jong toured Collingwood’s facilities, broke his collarbone in the elimination final, was best-on-ground in the VFL Grand Final, missed the AFL Grand Final, then still signed a deal to stay at Whitten Oval.

Josh Dunkley and Toby McLean - who kept Jong out of the Grand Final - both had brilliant finals series and won’t give up their spots easily.

All of it creates intense pressure for spots, extreme flexibility and a premium on playing well each week to stay in the side.

The Dogs will have injuries, suspension and form slumps.

But any fan who thinks the club has celebrated a little too hard, or too long, should realise this squad is only just getting started.

66a65ad406367e263ab35dc345122968

Travis Cloke on his Harley Davidson in Hosier Lane. Picture: Wayne Ludbey

DOGGIES DEPTH

Players who need to squeeze into the side that won the 2016 Grand Final

STEWART CRAMERI

Kicked 32 goals in 2015. So versatile and athletic he can easily slot in next to key forwards Tom Boyd and Travis Cloke.

TRAVIS CLOKE

Who knows if the Cloke experiment will work? But he can replace Zaine Cordy, who returns to defence. The Dogs need Cloke only to bring the ball to ground.

BOB MURPHY

The inspirational skipper slots into half-back, with his teammates sure to want to get him to the big dance to win his own medal.

MATT SUCKLING

Missed the premiership because of an Achilles problem. Can play half-back, wing or half- forward. If fully fit, he will easily find a spot.

5fb386ea4ee8a75ae0304d0cb3150129

Stewart Crameri returned to training during the Bulldogs’ finals campaign. Picture: Colleen Petch

LIN JONG

Missed the Grand Final despite being best-afield in the VFL Grand Final the previous week. Adds midfield depth. Played 16 games this year.

MARCUS ADAMS

A defensive revelation who had his year cruelled by a foot injury in Round 15. Can slot back in at full-back after Joel Hamling went to Fremantle. Cordy will fight him for the spot.

JACK REDPATH

Was the best key-forward option (20 goals in 10 games) before a Round 18 knee reconstruction. Back around mid-season.

MITCH WALLIS

Was backing up a superb 2015 season when he broke his leg in Round 18. Ahead of schedule but will not be rushed.

WESTERN BULLDOGS 2016 PREMIERSHIP SIDE

B: Jason Johannisen, Joel Hamling, Matthew Boyd

HB: Fletcher Roberts, Dale Morris, Easton Wood

C: Lachie Hunter, Marcus Bontempelli, Liam Picken

HF: Josh Dunkley, Zaine Cordy, Jake Stringer

F: Tory Dickson, Tom Boyd, Clay Smith

R: Jordan Roughead Luke Dahlhaus Tom Liberatore

I/C: Jack Macrae, Toby McLean, Shane Biggs, Caleb Daniel

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...b/news-story/2524fe61ee9252a0f131aa932b983ef0

Western Bulldogs vice-president Susan Alberti has retired after 12 years as a director at the club

2524fe61ee9252a0f131aa932b983ef0

MICHAEL WARNER, Herald Sun
December 5, 2016 11:24am
Subscriber only
2524fe61ee9252a0f131aa932b983ef0

HIGH-profile Western Bulldogs vice-president Susan Alberti has retired after 12 years as a director at the Whitten Oval.

Alberti’s departure will be announced by the Dogs this week as well as a massive financial profit off the back of the club’s drought-breaking premiership triumph.

Alberti, 69, was the major driver behind the establishment of the national women’s football league and a key Bulldogs benefactor, tipping in more than $4 million of her own money.

2cc3a60b2d6b1bdc904d6cedc2ab5e48

Susan Alberti hugs Jordan Roughead on the MCG after the Bulldogs won the 2016 premiership. Picture: Mark Stewart
She declared she can now die happy after witnessing September’s Grand Final win over Sydney.

“After 12 seasons on the board, including three as vice-president, now is the right time for me to leave — on a massive high,” Alberti said on Monday morning.

“I have supported this great club all my life, through the ups and downs, in good times and bad.

“I am proud of everything we achieved on the field this year which led to that magnificent Grand Final win.

PREMIERSHIP WIN: ALBERTI SAYS SHE CAN NOW DIE HAPPY

HUNGRY: BOYD, BULLDOGS WANT MORE SUCCESS

FLAG DEFENCE: BULLDOGS’ EMBARRASSMENT OF RICHES

“I am also equally proud of my contribution to the clubs healthy position. Our finances are in great shape, we have developed a strong culture and there is no reason why our on-field success won’t continue.

“I look forward to now focusing my energy in supporting the first season of AFLW, which has been a long held dream of mine.”

Alberti famously took on and beat the Footy Show in a 2009 defamation case.

She was made a life member of the Western Bulldogs last year.

Dogs focused on back-to-back flags, says Matthew Boyd
Ben Collins
December 5, 2016 9:43 AM

476370-tlsnewslandscape.jpg

Matthew Boyd wants to replicate this feeling next season

THE WESTERN Bulldogs aren't satisfied with breaking their 62-year premiership drought and are determined to go back-to-back, veteran Matthew Boyd has declared.

Former skipper Boyd said the Bulldogs would be buoyed by greater competition for spots and would take heightened expectations in their stride.

"With professional athletes, footballers, it's never enough and you're never satisfied," Boyd told reporters on Monday morning before the Dogs' first day of pre-season training with their full squad at Whitten Oval.

"We definitely have that mindset that we want to go again, we want to do it better and we'll be working our butts off to make that happen."

Boyd dismissed any suggestion the players would feel extra pressure to repeat their giant-killing effort, given they were underdogs throughout the entire 2016 finals series.

"We haven't really felt pressure throughout the journey that we've been on. That's the thing about this group – we'll just take it in our stride and we'll get to work," he said.

"We'll look at ways we can improve and things we didn't quite do the way we would've liked to do it. It's not pressure, it's just expectation."

The 2016 All Australian defender was enthused by the club's improved depth, given it would eventually regain skipper Bob Murphy, midfielders Matt Suckling, Mitch Wallis and Lin Jong, defender Marcus Adams and forward Jack Redpath, while it would be boosted by the return of ex-Bomber Stewart Crameri after a season-long doping suspension, and it had also snared former Collingwood veteran Travis Cloke.

"It adds competition for spots and raises the standards of training and of performance. It's a good position for the coaches to be in and us as a footy club," he said.

Boyd was especially excited by the return of Murphy, who, in a 15-minute session open to the media, showed little sign of the serious knee injury that ended his 2016 season by round three.

"He's obviously a great leader of our footy club and we'd love to go again for him," he said.

"But it's not just about Bob, and he'd say that himself – it's about this footy club.

"We're all excited to get Bob back, and we're excited to get Jack Redpath back, and Mitch Wallis back, and Josh Prudden and all those boys who had long-term injuries."

Boyd expected Cloke to "slot in perfectly" into a potentially new-look forward line.

"(Coach Luke Beveridge) has obviously had a really positive impact on a lot of players and being able to re-spark some careers and give them new roles and new challenges. So I'm sure Trav will fit into that category pretty nicely," he said.

Training with all of his new teammates for the first time, Cloke, 29, seemed considerably leaner than he was during his last appearance for the Magpies in their final-round loss to Hawthorn.

Another hungry Dog was Liam Picken – the club's player of the finals – who showed he won't be resting on past glories by being the last man standing in a continuous running session closed to the media.

Fellow flag heroes Easton Wood (ankle) and Tom Boyd (shoulder) were restricted to running laps as they recover from injuries that required surgery.

As for Matthew Boyd himself, the 34-year-old was feeling fresh after an off-season without any surgery.

"I feel pretty good for an old fella," he said.

Boyd, who will play on for a 15th season, said a premiership would have been a perfect way to retire, but he was still keen to help the young group.

"I want to try to continue that journey as long as I possibly can. I'm just going to enjoy the time that I have. We have a very finite time in footy and you've got to try to make the most of those opportunities," he said.

"I feel like I've been in bonus time for a couple of years. I'm very lucky and blessed to have been a part of our first premiership in 62 years. But that's last year and now we're looking into 2017.

"You don't get a huge amount of time to sit and dwell on those things. We enjoyed it but we're going to move on."

Fantastic article but I've posted about this in the main board as well and it's what I've quoted that irks me.

The first week of finals was always going to be played 6 weeks after the weekend of footy in which Macrae injured himself, so how does a post Round 23 bye or lack thereof impacts Macrae's ability to rehab and get fit in 6 weeks one way or another? The only impact it makes is that if a 2nd bye came before that weekend of footy Macrae would have missed one more home-and-away game which in the end makes no difference to our ladder position.

It's commentary like that which tries to downplay the impact and success of the flag ("well maybe they wouldn't have won the flag without the R23 bye because they wouldn't have had Macrae etc. returning"), which really, really pisses me off because it's based on unsound and incorrect reasoning and logic.

Fantastic article but I've posted about this in the main board as well and it's what I've quoted that irks me.

The first week of finals was always going to be played 6 weeks after the weekend of footy in which Macrae injured himself, so how does a post Round 23 bye or lack thereof impacts Macrae's ability to rehab and get fit in 6 weeks one way or another? The only impact it makes is that if a 2nd bye came before that weekend of footy Macrae would have missed one more home-and-away game which in the end makes no difference to our ladder position.

It's commentary like that which tries to downplay the impact and success of the flag ("well maybe they wouldn't have won the flag without the R23 bye because they wouldn't have had Macrae etc. returning"), which really, really pisses me off because it's based on unsound and incorrect reasoning and logic.
we won the flag with players picked from our list, not a problem for most people who understand the rules, cant see a problem from here, just a fantastic medical / rehab staff !!!!!

Tom Boyd & Caleb Daniel are supposed to be signing the pictorial book at the newsagents in Werribee(just outside the train station) on Friday at 2pm.

I'm uncertain whether they are doing any other signings but the book has to of been purchased there & they give out a ticket with it.

Think I'll head along & pick it up for my Grandmother.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm still puzzling over how we got an 'advantage' from the bye. Didn't anyone else get a bye?
I think we still would've won against west coast without macrae and Libba. Would've been harder but would've got the job done. This means they would've returned for hawthorn.

Yes the bye helped us, but imo it's not the reason why we won the finals like people suggest

Western Bulldogs begin pre-season training with new faces and new looks
5aff727d04bf3ed8be568c06bf47ac3d

LAUREN WOOD, Herald Sun
December 5, 2016 7:00pm

GLOWING tans, interesting hairdos and a couple of fresh faces.

Just like a first day back at school after summer holidays the Western Bulldogs were sun-kissed and sprightly on Monday as the entire group returned to the track for the first time, some eight weeks after their 62-year drought breaking premiership victory.

The highest-profile new student in Travis Cloke donned red, white and blue for the first time and met many of his new teammates less than an hour before the closed session.

He shook a few hands and it was straight into training for the former Magpie, who shifted across the Westgate Bridge at the end of the season, signing a two-year deal.

Visibly trimmer, there was some kick-to-kick with his now-fellow forward Stewart Crameri, who will return next season after serving his season-long doping ban after his time at Essendon.

He was vocal and involved from the get-go, with new teammate Matthew Boyd anticipating the premiership-winning key forward to slot straight into the Dogs’ attack.

9f04ba628d925f740226787529a5da3e

Luke Beveridge watches Travis Cloke take part in Western Bulldogs training. Picture: Nicole Garmston
bdbbe2a48e3d7d518ccc0f38601de591

Stewart Crameri will return to the Bulldogs line-up in 2016. Picture: Nicole Garmston
“It looks pretty good, doesn’t it?,” Boyd said of the new-look forward line.

“I’m sure he’ll slot in perfectly. (Coach Luke Beveridge) has had a really positive impact on a lot of players and been able to re-spark some careers by throwing them into different roles and giving them new challenges.

“I’m sure Trav will fit into that new category pretty nicely.”

The Dogs had enjoyed the win, Boyd conceded, but their appetites only whetted.

The team wasted no time in plotting its path to what it hopes will be back-to-back glory, with curtains drawn and security high for the team’s first full training session.

Stand-in skipper Easton Wood and Tom Boyd ran laps as they recover from ankle and shoulder injuries respectively, while captain Bob Murphy trained with the main group as he continues his recovery from an April knee reconstruction and Jason Johannisen rocked a new peroxide mop.

fdcf7798623a18138620e57b0e3e3762

Luke Beverage watches Bob Murphy. Picture: Nicole Garmston
98f060528837cbfe54313bd371dda2f6

Bob Murphy is back in full training. Picture: Nicole Garmston
Boyd, 34, admitted that he is yet to watch the Grand Final win, in which Johannisen claimed best-on-ground honours.

But having signed on for another season in October and earning a third All-Australian selection, he isn’t buying into talk that the 2017 season could be his last.

“I haven’t even gone into my first meeting and we’re talking about when I’m going to finish up,” Boyd laughed.

“I feel like I’ve been in bonus time for a couple of years.

“I’m very lucky and blessed to have been a part of our first premiership in 62 years, but that’s last year and now we’re looking into 2017.

“It’s never enough and you’re never satisfied. We certainly have that mindset that you’re never satisfied. You want to go again, you want to do it better and we’ll be working our butts off to make that happen.”

6373b9ea3a53e77810ad13302aa763f1

Premiers the Western Bulldogs back on the training track at Whitten Oval. Picture: Nicole Garmston
ccec3f9afeebc7e1228279641d0377b3

Stewart Crameri trains as Ashley Hansen watches on. Picture: Nicole Garmston
894835ae931a8412c95cff08c1699b3d

Travis Cloke gets to know his new teammates, including Bob Murphy. Picture: Nicole Garmston
c4cb61f59cff5afb0a46c41eae8fda4d

Roarke Smith trains as Bob Murphy and Luke Beverage watch on. Picture: Nicole Garmston

Western Bulldogs begin pre-season training with new faces and new looks

LAUREN WOOD, Herald Sun
December 5, 2016 7:00pm

GLOWING tans, interesting hairdos and a couple of fresh faces.

Just like a first day back at school after summer holidays the Western Bulldogs were sun-kissed and sprightly on Monday as the entire group returned to the track for the first time, some eight weeks after their 62-year drought breaking premiership victory.

The highest-profile new student in Travis Cloke donned red, white and blue for the first time and met many of his new teammates less than an hour before the closed session.

He shook a few hands and it was straight into training for the former Magpie, who shifted across the Westgate Bridge at the end of the season, signing a two-year deal.

Visibly trimmer, there was some kick-to-kick with his now-fellow forward Stewart Crameri, who will return next season after serving his season-long doping ban after his time at Essendon.

He was vocal and involved from the get-go, with new teammate Matthew Boyd anticipating the premiership-winning key forward to slot straight into the Dogs’ attack.

9f04ba628d925f740226787529a5da3e

Luke Beveridge watches Travis Cloke take part in Western Bulldogs training. Picture: Nicole Garmston
bdbbe2a48e3d7d518ccc0f38601de591

Stewart Crameri will return to the Bulldogs line-up in 2016. Picture: Nicole Garmston
“It looks pretty good, doesn’t it?,” Boyd said of the new-look forward line.

“I’m sure he’ll slot in perfectly. (Coach Luke Beveridge) has had a really positive impact on a lot of players and been able to re-spark some careers by throwing them into different roles and giving them new challenges.

“I’m sure Trav will fit into that new category pretty nicely.”

The Dogs had enjoyed the win, Boyd conceded, but their appetites only whetted.

The team wasted no time in plotting its path to what it hopes will be back-to-back glory, with curtains drawn and security high for the team’s first full training session.

Stand-in skipper Easton Wood and Tom Boyd ran laps as they recover from ankle and shoulder injuries respectively, while captain Bob Murphy trained with the main group as he continues his recovery from an April knee reconstruction and Jason Johannisen rocked a new peroxide mop.

fdcf7798623a18138620e57b0e3e3762

Luke Beverage watches Bob Murphy. Picture: Nicole Garmston
98f060528837cbfe54313bd371dda2f6

Bob Murphy is back in full training. Picture: Nicole Garmston
Boyd, 34, admitted that he is yet to watch the Grand Final win, in which Johannisen claimed best-on-ground honours.

But having signed on for another season in October and earning a third All-Australian selection, he isn’t buying into talk that the 2017 season could be his last.

“I haven’t even gone into my first meeting and we’re talking about when I’m going to finish up,” Boyd laughed.

“I feel like I’ve been in bonus time for a couple of years.

“I’m very lucky and blessed to have been a part of our first premiership in 62 years, but that’s last year and now we’re looking into 2017.

“It’s never enough and you’re never satisfied. We certainly have that mindset that you’re never satisfied. You want to go again, you want to do it better and we’ll be working our butts off to make that happen.”

6373b9ea3a53e77810ad13302aa763f1

Premiers the Western Bulldogs back on the training track at Whitten Oval. Picture: Nicole Garmston
ccec3f9afeebc7e1228279641d0377b3

Stewart Crameri trains as Ashley Hansen watches on. Picture: Nicole Garmston
894835ae931a8412c95cff08c1699b3d

Travis Cloke gets to know his new teammates, including Bob Murphy. Picture: Nicole Garmston
c4cb61f59cff5afb0a46c41eae8fda4d

Roarke Smith trains as Bob Murphy and Luke Beverage watch on. Picture: Nicole Garmston

Sorry Lauren, but Trav trained last week

I'm still puzzling over how we got an 'advantage' from the bye. Didn't anyone else get a bye?

Everyone harps on about not having enough rest between games - it's the number one excuse trotted out by coaches... we had too many 6 day breaks etc.... blah blah blah...
Now they get to much of a break and it's an issue? give it a rest.
We got the least amount of advantage from the bye as we played on the Thursday. Other teams had an extra 3 days break if they played on the Saturday or Sunday but no one seems to think they benefited from it.

Western Bulldogs coaching shuffle to keep club fresh in pursuit of more success
06bf7960ee0680a6a50dd8b2749b7244

GLENN McFARLANE, Herald Sun
December 6, 2016 8:00pm
Subscriber only
06bf7960ee0680a6a50dd8b2749b7244

BULLDOGS premiership coach Luke Beveridge has reshuffled the portfolios of his assistant coaches in an effort to keep the club fresh in its pursuit of more success.

Assistant coach Steven King confirmed the move to the Herald Sun.

“Bevo just wants everyone to keep developing, which is a great thing, and for us, it is good to keep us on our toes,” King said.

As part of the changes, King will relinquish his midfield coach responsibilities and become defensive coach.

Joel Corey will move from stoppages to midfield coach; Daniel Giansiracusa has shifted from forwards coach to a stoppages role; Ashley Hanson will be responsible for the forwards, having last year led Footscray to the VFL premiership; Rohan Smith takes on a head of development role after four years in defence; while Chris Maple moves from head of development to coaching performance manager.

King said he was excited to be moving to defence, the club’s most experienced zone, after being involved with the midfield for five seasons

9de08b7e3b10276eea3ff512b0aca23c

Travis Cloke trains with Luke Beveridge in the background. Picture: Nicole Garmston
“I’ve loved being a part of the mids, but I am looking forward to working with the backs now,” he said.

“Rohan Smith has done an amazing job in defence. The way they play for each other, not only the way they defend, but the way they bounce off and start attacking, has certainly been a springboard for the way we play.

“I walk into the most mature group in the club, with (Matthew) Boyd, (Dale) Morris, (Bob) Murphy, (Matt) Suckling, (Easton) Wood and (Jason) Johannisen.”

The full Bulldogs squad have been back in full work since Monday, with Jack Macrae saying the group knows how much hard work is required to put themselves into contention again next year.

“We are under no illusions, we know we are going to have to work just as hard, if not harder next year,” Macrae said.

“Clubs are going to come back better and fitter and strong.

“We are all up for the challenge. As great as last year was, if we let it slip, and we don’t put in the hard works, it won’t happen again. From what I have seen so far, it’s a very determined group.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back