What They're Saying - The Bulldogs Media Thread - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pretty ordinary result for us though. We'd have a pretty tough month... Colllingwood, Geelong and the two Perth sides over there.
Richmond, Melbourne and Essendon definitely lucky on this one.
We’ve already played the Pies so doubt they’d send us both there.
Also bloody tough on Wallis and Libba types with very young babies.

Wait, so we aren’t going to WA, but Collingwood and Geelong are? 😃
Doesn't mean we are out of the woods though.
We'll probably go interstate for a stint in August or September depending on the level of infection around the country and restrictions in place at the time.

IF ...
you lose your dominant big forward before quarter-time and another key component of the forward line for half a game ...

THEN ...
beating the Swans at the SCG was way, way better than even the 28-point margin made it look. My footy love of Bailey Smith grows by the quarter, and the Dogs' season now nicely back on track. Nervous worries on Naughton and Lloyd, though.

His goals output isn't what I'd like but he brings a lot more presence to the team than Schache or Dickson ever have.

Was Bruce always this heavy or did we make him add a bit too much? Looks slow but I don’t really recall that at the Saints.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

surprising from Bruce, he looks slow as hell
Have a feeling his back might not be 100% yet. Doesn't seem to have that aerial ability nor ground level maneuverability he had last year. Definitely still a heavy presence in the forward line and can cause some serious damage running through a pack so I'm all for that. Will just need some time to get back up to speed.

5. Rozee and Walsh have a new rival for 2018's best draftee
Western Bulldogs midfielder and No.7 pick Bailey Smith is the real deal. After showing his strength at the contest in last week's win over Greater Western Sydney, he backed it up in fine style against Sydney on Thursday night. While skipper Marcus Bontempelli took the headlines with his courage, Smith did the grunt work on the inside in a midfield lacking Josh Dunkley, Lachie Hunter and Lin Jong to finish with 20 disposals (nine contested). Don't go early on calling the best of the 2018 NAB AFL Draft a two-horse race between Connor Rozee and Sam Walsh. - Mitch Cleary

Pity Dale Morris has done his PCL at the playground with his kids, we could have kept him on:

I saw the Big Rivers Bulldogs play in 2012 at Katherine, great seeing the colours going round, Keith Rogers would have been a young 54yo in that game!

Afl.com

PLAYERS ON THE OUTER

Josh Schache (Western Bulldogs)

Played 10 of the last 11 games in 2019, including the elimination final loss to Greater Western Sydney, and penned a new contract until the end of 2022 in November. But he hasn't been seen in 2020. Josh Bruce's arrival on a four-year deal hasn't helped his chances but the Dogs have opted for Ryan Gardner and Lewis Young ahead of him this season. With Aaron Naughton (ankle) set for an extended stint on the sidelines, Schache will be eyeing the vacant spot.

REPLACING Aaron Naughton is a seriously tough task for the Western Bulldogs.

DOG HIT FOR SIX Injuries hit the kennel

The 20-year-old is set to miss the next two months with an ankle syndesmosis injury, a cruel blow for the club, considering star midfielder Josh Dunkley went down with the same injury just a week prior.

With recruit Josh Bruce struggling to fire, the key forward roles are now the number one issue coach Luke Beveridge has to get right over the coming weeks.

Former No.2 draft pick Josh Schache had a solid return last year, kicking a career-high 24 goals in 14 games.

TR041219DP0031.JPG

The former Lion does not crash packs and provide the same aerial threat that Naughton does, but he does make the most of his set shots.

Despite that, it was clear he was nowhere near Beveridge's selection mix as recently as two weeks ago.

"He's (Schache) a listed player who's still got a promising future, but he's not in the team at the moment," Beveridge said after the round two loss to St Kilda.

With circumstances changing dramatically it's not out of the question that Schache can work his way back, but he must bang the door down at training.

If Beveridge wants to replace Naughton with a marking option, then defender-turned-forward Lewis Young might be the best choice.

Young turned heads in the Marsh Community Series with three goals against North Melbourne, but failed to fire in round one and has yet to crack back into the team following football's return.
https://www.afl.com.au/video/lloydys-list
The ability is certainly there for Young, but the forward craft is coming along slowly as some defensive habits continue to creep in.

Succeeding as a forward is all mental for the 21-year-old.

"Trying to keep the game simple and not trying to do much with or without the ball is really important, especially as a key forward if you try and think too much you can get in your own head and play yourself out of the game," Young told AFL.com.au.

TR010620MW1032.JPG

Lewis Young with Mitch Wallis at training. Picture: AFL Photos
"Playing as a defender you spend half your time looking at your opponent and half the time at the ball.

"Moving from that mindset is important to me."

Positioning has also been a major growth area that Young has put time into.

"I'm trying to stay in line with the ball and not drifting into positions where I'm not relevant to where the ball is going to be," Young said.

"Just trying to stay in the line of the goals so I can use my strengths, which is to run and jump at the ball and bring the ball to ground or clunk a couple of marks."

Afl.com

PLAYERS ON THE OUTER

Josh Schache (Western Bulldogs)

Played 10 of the last 11 games in 2019, including the elimination final loss to Greater Western Sydney, and penned a new contract until the end of 2022 in November. But he hasn't been seen in 2020. Josh Bruce's arrival on a four-year deal hasn't helped his chances but the Dogs have opted for Ryan Gardner and Lewis Young ahead of him this season. With Aaron Naughton (ankle) set for an extended stint on the sidelines, Schache will be eyeing the vacant spot.

REPLACING Aaron Naughton is a seriously tough task for the Western Bulldogs.

DOG HIT FOR SIX Injuries hit the kennel

The 20-year-old is set to miss the next two months with an ankle syndesmosis injury, a cruel blow for the club, considering star midfielder Josh Dunkley went down with the same injury just a week prior.

With recruit Josh Bruce struggling to fire, the key forward roles are now the number one issue coach Luke Beveridge has to get right over the coming weeks.

Former No.2 draft pick Josh Schache had a solid return last year, kicking a career-high 24 goals in 14 games.

TR041219DP0031.JPG

The former Lion does not crash packs and provide the same aerial threat that Naughton does, but he does make the most of his set shots.

Despite that, it was clear he was nowhere near Beveridge's selection mix as recently as two weeks ago.

"He's (Schache) a listed player who's still got a promising future, but he's not in the team at the moment," Beveridge said after the round two loss to St Kilda.

With circumstances changing dramatically it's not out of the question that Schache can work his way back, but he must bang the door down at training.

If Beveridge wants to replace Naughton with a marking option, then defender-turned-forward Lewis Young might be the best choice.

Young turned heads in the Marsh Community Series with three goals against North Melbourne, but failed to fire in round one and has yet to crack back into the team following football's return.
https://www.afl.com.au/video/lloydys-list
The ability is certainly there for Young, but the forward craft is coming along slowly as some defensive habits continue to creep in.

Succeeding as a forward is all mental for the 21-year-old.

"Trying to keep the game simple and not trying to do much with or without the ball is really important, especially as a key forward if you try and think too much you can get in your own head and play yourself out of the game," Young told AFL.com.au.

TR010620MW1032.JPG

Lewis Young with Mitch Wallis at training. Picture: AFL Photos
"Playing as a defender you spend half your time looking at your opponent and half the time at the ball.

"Moving from that mindset is important to me."

Positioning has also been a major growth area that Young has put time into.

"I'm trying to stay in line with the ball and not drifting into positions where I'm not relevant to where the ball is going to be," Young said.

"Just trying to stay in the line of the goals so I can use my strengths, which is to run and jump at the ball and bring the ball to ground or clunk a couple of marks."

Can't even get the right Young in the picture

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back