What They're Saying - The Bulldogs Media Thread - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is all being overblown. I didn't hug anyone for a year but it's slowly coming back to me. JUH didn't play footy for a year, so naturally it'll take a few games to build up that match fitness. Not to mention we were undefeated until a week ago and aren't desperate to play a kid for the sake of it. Sure I'd be disappointed not getting a game as soon as I'd like as the #1 draft pick, what #1 draft pick wouldn't be? That'll be quickly forgotten once he's consistently getting games in the seniors - in a team that has nurtured him for how many years now? If the Dogs had any inkling JUH had poor character, we wouldn't have invested this much time in him or matched Adelaide's bid. Media (and some BF posters here) build-up over nothing.

Can't wait til Bevo unleashes JUH and for JUH to give a big FU to all the knockers.

A coward hiding behind a keyboard. That's all he is. He pontificates on things he doesn't know the first thing about. Was never a young talented player, has never been in the inner-sanctum of a club, doubt he has any mates from team sport. He's just a 'wannabe' trying to stir sh1t up to compensate for his inferiority complex. At least some AFL media types can actually analyse the game, like Connolly or Niall. The idiot we're discussing wouldn't know a drop punt from a chest mark.
Waste. Of. Space.

The club can’t let that go without a rebuttal of some type. What an absolute disgrace.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

What if the reports on Jamarra are correct? It’s a bit of a worry if true!
Maybe I've missed something but it all seems like a bit of a storm in a teacup to me. Highly rated kid champing at the bit to get a crack, club wants to get his tank and workrate up.

As an 18 year old who grew up in the country, he's enjoying being an adult in the city but I haven't heard of any bad behaviour.

The attention on him and prevelance of social media amplifies everything, but what's really happened that's so bad?

The Barrett monologue typically comes from the most disingenuous of places. Where exactly has JUH made aspirations of rockstardom be publicly known? One can only presume that its from an 18 year old social media page, which is not real life. Beyond that we are supposed to believe that a 'journalist' who has effectively been blackballed by the club during the entirety of Beverages tenure has the inside word on JUH's apparent frustration at not being selected in the first side. Sure. Sounds legit.

This story such as it is was initiated by people who look purely at statistics and who haven't bothered to take the time to watch games of 2nds football. Something that now only takes a kayo subscription to do. Or from the likes of Barrett who clearly has an axe to grind. It happens here and it happens when journalists are looking for an easy headline or are intent on and in this case clearly succeeding at making a clickbait video after the our first loss of a game this season. Its no coincidence that it took our first loss for the inevitability of this story to raise its head.

Its little wonder that Beverage let his frustration be know at the laziness of it all. Just as its little wonder that Barrett then placed himself at the centre of a confected story that says more about the media and Barrett in particular, than it does the subject of the story.

Its the cycle of life for the the hacks at AFLMedia.

Any 18 year old with a profile as high as Marra's would be getting absolutely hounded by his mates to try to cut the line at a nightclub.
In the end you would try it on just to shut them up. No way would you expect that some media flog would jump on it and spin it into this s**t storm.

Everything that I have actually seen of Marra in the media makes me believe he is a pretty level headed kid.
Until I see something that makes me think otherwise I will reserve judgement. Clickbait journalism is not worth the time it takes to read.

Seems a few clubs are having a sniff at Ed Richards.

Yesterday's Age:

North, Brisbane eye Bulldog speedster
Jake Niall

By Jake Niall
May 5, 2021 — 7.03pm

Leave a comment

North Melbourne and the Brisbane Lions are among the clubs who are eyeing talented Western Bulldog Ed Richards, who is coming out of contract this year.
Industry sources said the Lions had been scouting Richards as a player who might fit their needs and that North Melbourne have been considering him as a potential out-of-contract recruit.
In demand: Bulldog Ed Richards.

In demand: Bulldog Ed Richards.Credit:Getty Images
A number of other clubs have the running defender and wingman on their radar. The Bulldogs are aware of rival clubs’ interest.
Richards is recovering from a broken leg that he suffered in a VFL practice match against Collingwood on the same day of the Dogs’ first-round clash with the Magpies and is not expected to resume until the second half of this season - perhaps another month.

Sources familiar with Richards’ situation said he did not want to progress any contract discussions until he returned to play after a lengthy stint on the sidelines – a position that the Bulldogs are comfortable with.
Richards is seen by rival clubs as a natural half-back, but he can also play wing. He had an impressive debut season in 2018, when he played 21 out of 22 games (making his debut in round two) and was touted as a prospective star but did not make the leap forward in 2020 that might have been expected in his third season, when he played 17 games.

Richards did not make the senior side for the opening game and there’s clearly a view among other clubs that he could be gettable in the trade period, depending on how he fares this season.
For the Lions, there is a need for a running defender given former Hawk Grant Birchall, a valuable addition, is near the end of his distinguished career.

North Melbourne will be well-placed to land an out-of-contract player this year, due to their salary cap room and expected position on the bottom of the ladder (which opens up the pre-season draft as a recruiting lever), although the Roos are committed to a draft-first strategy and unlikely to trade any early picks.
Related Article
Marcus Bontempelli will be a free agent at season’s end.
AFL 2021
‘No real timeline’: Bontempelli not in a contract rush
Richards was rated highly by Carlton and Collingwood prior to the 2017 national draft and was a candidate to be picked early by those clubs but the Bulldogs snared him at pick 16.
One of Richards’ issues has been the surfeit of teammates at Whitten Oval who are well suited to playing across half-back. Caleb Daniel, who acts as a playmaker behind the ball, Bailey Williams (who is injured), Hayden Crozier, veteran Easton Wood and Norm Smith medallist Jason Johannisen are all capable across half-back and on occasion Richards has been forced to play in other positions, or pushed out of the side.
Patrick Lipinski is another Bulldog coming out of contract who has been on the fringes of regular selection due to the club’s relatively strong depth of talent.

While Lipinski will be looked at by other clubs, he is close to housemates and teammates Aaron Naughton and Tim English and is a lifelong Bulldogs supporter.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have listened to the sounding board since it started for my sins and Damien has a real problem with conflict and holds grudges against a number of people. He will square up at every opportunity. He isn't alone Caro Wilson and old mate Robbo are the same. Maybe it's just human nature.

Damien does get good stories though but unfortunately his work has to be taken with a grain of salt when it aligns with his personal grievances. Anything about North or the Dogs is tainted.

I think, on behalf of the club, this board should initiate a rumour concerning that media hack, but I suspect anything we come up with will turn out to be true anyway.

Even better, fling him a false (but believable) rumour - wait for him to publish & then shite hits the fan when it's found out to be absolute crap. Doesn't have to be about Bulldogs either. Anyone know anyone who knows any of his sources? :cool:

haven't clicked on a Purple article for about 2 year now (might be longer)

it not hard, easier than giving up smoking, just go cold turkey

c'mon you can do it.

Same here, but you know anything he says about our club will appear on this board.

I go one step further and refuse to mention his name or his moniker on here, as it's usually enough to make reference to "that media hack" for other posters to know who I'm talking about!

Same here, but you know anything he says about our club will appear on this board.

I go one step further and refuse to mention his name or his moniker on here, as it's usually enough to make reference to "that media hack" for other posters to know who I'm talking about!
Lord VolDamo - he whose name must not be mentioned.

Thanks for not describing him as a “journalist” BTW.

I almost fell over listening to Bevos press conference where he said English is actually a very good defender but he’s currently needed elsewhere.

would be such a Bevo move to turn him into a key defender.

I almost fell over listening to Bevos press conference where he said English is actually a very good defender but he’s currently needed elsewhere.

would be such a Bevo move to turn him into a key defender.
I’d like to see him spend more time there, not necessarily playing a negating role but just sitting back in the hole. He can literally play just about any position on the field really really well, should just go forward or back depending on whether our midfield is on top or not, and obviously through the ruck. Maybe when JUH is ready.

I’d like to see him spend more time there, not necessarily playing a negating role but just sitting back in the hole. He can literally play just about any position on the field really really well, should just go forward or back depending on whether our midfield is on top or not, and obviously through the ruck. Maybe when JUH is ready.
Totally agree. I’ve said the same thing numerous times recently. Bring in Marra and play no key defender. Just English and Keath, Williams, Crozier, Dale, Buku, Doc, Wood etc. Naughts could switch with English at times if we wanted to go tall up front. English has been awesome behind the ball at times in the last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back