What They're Saying - The Bulldogs Media Thread - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ah yes, that's a good one, cigarette hanging out of his mouth.
Curious that so many of our mean footballers have been defenders. I'm sure there's a PhD in that somewhere.

Fossie #32 has to in there. Tough bastard with enough mongrel.

not to be confused with our friend on here , a lovely kind hearted bloke 😜

Fossie #32 has to in there. Tough bastard with enough mongrel.

not to be confused with our friend on here , a lovely kind hearted bloke 😜
Yes I'm torn between considering blokes who were tough when they had to be (like Boyd) or limiting it to blokes who were just naturally hard bastards. You know, the blokes who liked dishing it out and enjoyed watching the claret flow.

I think Foster was more in the former category but it was a long time ago. Was he also into gratuitous violence?

Yes I'm torn between considering blokes who were tough when they had to be (like Boyd) or limiting it to blokes who were just naturally hard bastards. You know, the blokes who liked dishing it out and enjoyed watching the claret flow.

I think Foster was more in the former category but it was a long time ago. Was he also into gratuitous violence?

Nah Foster played hard, but fair.

What did he say?
37:40

very brief segment re mental health atm ..

1 Look for positives
2 Asked for empathy for players
3 Keep up communications while isolated - ring family etc

Makes we wonder who we'd pick if we wanted a Footscray/WB tuffnut side. I'll open the convo with this suggestion. I'm bound to have left out plenty of good bad ones. I'm sure there were plenty of hard men before the 1960s so feel free to add a few. Qualification is 30 games in the RW&B.

B: Wheeler, Kennedy, Southern​
HB: Kretiuk, Lake, Sutton​
C: Hawkins, West, Dimattina​
HF: MacPherson, Whitten, Gowers​
F: Redpath, Hall, Clay Smith​
R: Minson, Tom Liberatore, Tony Liberatore​
Int: Picken, Romero, Ben Hudson, Beveridge​

I'd love to see that side line up against GWS' faux tough guys.

IMG_1667.JPG

Hello Dogwatch, my name is Heath and I'd like to nominate Ryan Hargrave.

Ah yes, Ryan Hargrave has to be included. He loved a scrap.
Bailey Smith has the right attitude to be in the conversation.
Kennedy would be captain and McPherson VC

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Herald Sun top 20 players for the bulldogs tomorrow. They did the hawks today and used 1987 onwards as the modern era.

So here we go I sure there will debate

1. Chris Grant
2. Doug Hawkins
3. Scott West
4. Brad Johnson
5. Marcus Bontempelli (Will go higher when finishes)
6. Bob Murphy
7. Dale Morris
8. Brian Royal
9. Matthew Boyd
10. Scott Wynd
11. Tony Liberatore
12. Leon Cameron
13. Adam Cooney
14 Jack Macrae (Will go higher when finishes)
15 Steve Wallis
16 Simon Beasley
17 Liam Picken
18 Rohan Smith
19Luke Darcy
19 Daniel Cross
20 Easton Wood

Did not make list as they were defectors Ryan Griffen/ Nathan Brown
Not that I don’t totally agree with his name here but how incredible is the inclusion of Liam Picken in this list. He elevated himself in a superhuman way in 2016

Makes we wonder who we'd pick if we wanted a Footscray/WB tuffnut side. I'll open the convo with this suggestion. I'm bound to have left out plenty of good bad ones. I'm sure there were plenty of hard men before the 1960s so feel free to add a few. Qualification is 30 games in the RW&B.

B: Wheeler, Kennedy, Southern​
HB: Kretiuk, Lake, Sutton​
C: Hawkins, West, Dimattina​
HF: MacPherson, Whitten, Gowers​
Int: Picken, Romero, Ben Hudson, Beveridge​

I'd love to see that side line up against GWS' faux tough guys.
Thanks for all your contributions. The specially invited independent selection committee (Leigh Matthews (chair), Dermott Brereton, Jack Dyer, Robbie Muir and David Rhys-Jones) has come up with this revised version:

B: Wheeler, Kennedy (vc), McGhie​
HB: Kretiuk, Southern, Sutton (capt coach)​
C: Hawkins, Whitten, M Boyd​
HF: MacPherson, Foster, Edmond​
Int: Hahn, Dimattina, Ben Hudson, Hargrave​
Emergencies: Powell, Romero, West​
Runner: Todd Curley​
IN: McGhie, Boyd, Foster, Edmond, Hahn, Hargrave​
OUT: Lake, West, Romero, Gowers, Picken, Beveridge​
Team nickname: Dogs of War​
Team motto: "Shop early and avoid the rush"​
Favourite drink: Claret​
Favourite dish: Pork knuckles​

The selectors apologise that they couldn't fit in many (un)worthy candidates. Also O'Halloran, Harrington and Bottles Greenwood didn't qualify as none of them played 30 games for the Dogs. There was so much competition for KPD spots that Foster had to be moved to CHF. Dale Morris was tough all right, but he was just too nice a guy to earn a spot. Emergencies have been listed pending the outcome of 17 cases currently before the MRP.

Late nomination: Laurie Sandilands - cleaned up a few Pies early in the 74 elim final. As captain, and knowing most of the team had been on the p1ss down at a beach house during the week leading up to the club’s first final in 13 years, he knew the best way to create a level playing field was take a few opponents out of the game. Sadly, he probably needed some help... and half the Pies team put out of action.

(There’s a photo from that game of Laurie cleaning up one of the Richardson brothers, just can’t find it atm, so this will do - clearing a path for Steve Power:

A1774127-6DC2-45CA-9A27-D190A095C500.jpeg

Last edited:
Late nomination: Laurie Sandilands - cleaned up a few Pies early in the 74 elim final. As captain, and knowing most of the team had been on the p1ss down at a beach house during the week leading up to the club’s first final in 13 years, he knew the best way to create a level playing field was take a few opponents out of the game. Sadly, he probably needed some help... and half the Pies team put out of action.

(There’s a photo from that game of Laurie cleaning up one of the Richardson brothers, just can’t find it atm, so this will do:

View attachment 852158
Ah yes, I forgot about him. Good suggestion. Maybe we can slip him onto the emergency list too. We're going to need all the emergencies we can get once the tribunal hands down its findings.

Our old mate Frank Breglec has written another letter to the Canberra Times (today 4/4/20) offering some advice on how to get through these difficult times.

1585967851960.png

Not sure about the "lucky" bit though. Maybe it was a sub-editor's typo?

I don't know if you are one of our Canberra BF fraternity Frank but if you are reading this ... keep up the good work!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back