What They're Saying - The Bulldogs Media Thread - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kane Cornes suggests Dunkley should play Bruce's role up forward.....

Get in the bin.

Ernie Sigley passed away yesterday. There is a herald sun article, but it is behind a paywall.
Could someone post that on here please?

A LITTLE AUSSIE BATTLER TO END
ERNIE SIGLEY
1938-2021

NUI TE KOHA
image.ashx

image.ashx

image.ashx

image.ashx

Surrounded by family, star of stage, radio and TV finally succumbs to Alzheimer’s
BELOVED broadcaster, singer and “little Aussie battler” Ernie Sigley has died.
Sigley, 82, passed away on Sunday with his family, wife Glenys, and four children, Matthew, Guy, David, and Emma, by his side.
Sigley battled Alzheimer’s disease for five years, and had been in residential care for most of that time.
David Sigley, who is a Uniting Church minister, told the ABC last year: “He doesn’t know my name, but the love that me and him have will never go. It’s an important thing to remember and hold on to. One thing that gives me joy is that he gave so many people joy.”
Ernest William Sigley – better known as “Ernie” – was born in Footscray, on September 2, 1938.
In a career spanning six decades, Sigley’s talent and knowledge made him one of Australia’s most accomplished and award-winning entertainers.
A television host, radio presenter and singer, Ernie’s diminutive stature, working class roots and larrikin laugh often saw him referred to as the “little Aussie battler”.
His entertainment career began in 1952 as a turntable operator at Melbourne radio station 3DB.
Five years later, at the age of 19, he made his television debut hosting Teenage Mailbag on Channel 7 in Melbourne.
Sigley also worked at the BBC and Radio Luxembourg.
In 1964, Sigley travelled to London to interview The Beatles, but missed them by a day. When he caught up with the band in Adelaide, John Lennon sniped: “Hey Paul, this is the bloody idiot that flew all the way from Australia to interview us.”
He hosted the The Ernie Sigley Show from 1974 to 1976, starting a long-term working partnership with performer Denise Drysdale.
But his famous temper resulted in Kerry Packer sacking Sigley from the prime time show. Sigley’s “crime” was making a disparaging remark about cricket.
Later, Sigley and Drysdale co-hosted the variety TV show, In Melbourne Today.
They also had a charttopping pop hit with the song, Hey Paula.
In a 2019 interview, Drysdale recalled her bittersweet visit to a dear friend.
“When I went to see him I sung the whole of Hey Paula, and he stood there and looked at me and got emotional,” Drysdale told the Starts At 60 website.
“Then he gave me a big hug, so there was some recognition at that stage, but then I sat on the chair and he said, ‘God, you remind me of somebody’.”
Drysdale told the Herald Sun in 2018: “(Sigley) had the most amazing brain. He knew so much about people whether they were an artist, a politician, a sportsman. He could recall the most extraordinary things and he never forgot.”
She also said their chemistry together was a natural fit.
“You can’t manufacture what we had together, we just flourished and he was very generous,” Drysdale said. “As long as they (the audience) were laughing he did not care who got the laugh.”
Sigley returned to radio in 1996, helming 3AW’s toprating afternoon radio program until his retirement in 2008.
Sigley won 21 Logie Awards, and took home a Gold Logie in 1975. The award was presented to him by one of his idols, John Wayne.
As a son of the west, Sigley was a diehard supporter of the Western Bulldogs. Sadly, the staunch Footscray fan didn’t attend the Doggies win over the Sydney Swans at the 2016 AFL grand final.
By then, illness had started to take hold.
“While he would love to have been at the MCG to watch his beloved Western Bulldogs make history, Ernie had to settle for the live television broadcast,” his family said.
Ernie and Glenys, nee Glenys O’Brien, a former TV personality, were married for 47 years.
Their son Matthew was a member of Australian indie pop-rock band The Earthmen, and played keyboards for Australian bands The Fauves and Drop City.
On Sunday, Ernie’s family requested privacy, but also referred media to support the fight for a cure for dementia by visiting www.fightdementia.org.au
nui.tekoha@news.com.au

News

Ernie Sigley passed away yesterday. There is a herald sun article, but it is behind a paywall.
Could someone post that on here please?
Didn't see the article but Peter Ford did a bit about him on The Morning Show. Ernie started off at the same time as Bert Newton and they were great friends. He was a singer to start with and hosted an early tv show called The Hit Parade. Later moved to variety and game shows. He and Denise Drysdale sang a cover of "Hey Paula" and it became the biggest selling single of the time. (Showed a clip from it.) They donated all the proceeds to the Red Cross as they didn't expect it to sell! They also hosted programs together.

He was hosting a show on Channel 9 - and I can't remember what went wrong, but Kerry Packer got on a plane and flew to Melbourne to sack Ernie and replace him with Don Lane. There was ill feeling between him and Don from then on, culminating in a physical stoush at a Logies award night.

He was proud of being a Yarraville boy, in spite of the western suburbs including Footscray and surrounds, being very much looked down on at the time. (Now gentrified and sought after, who'da thunk it?)

Ernie married Glenys and they had four children. He didn't associate much with show biz people, preferring family. He was 82 when he died, having had Alzheimers for a few years.

Edit: that's right, the issue Packer didn't like was a negative remark about cricket.

Something behind the paywall in the sun about the dogs having to quarantine before playing port. Can't understand why considering the game is in Melbourne. Can anyone read the article?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Something behind the paywall in the sun about the dogs having to quarantine before playing port. Can't understand why considering the game is in Melbourne. Can anyone read the article?
The gist is that it’s a condition from the SA government with Port playing the game in Melbourne. Absolutely ridiculous and I truly hope the club haven’t rolled over and taken that. Port should have to quarantine in SA after the game if that’s what it takes.

The gist is that it’s a condition from the SA government with Port playing the game in Melbourne. Absolutely ridiculous and I truly hope the club haven’t rolled over and taken that. Port should have to quarantine in SA after the game if that’s what it takes.
Oh yeah completely ridiculous, either port quarantine or forfeit. It's our home game we shouldn't be disadvantaged.

Here it is flipper83:
AFL Covid news: Western Bulldogs forced into quarantine ahead of clash with Port Adelaide
Western Bulldogs players will be forced into quarantine ahead of their Port blockbuster — and some could may have to leave their families under the strict measures.
Sam Landsberger and Marc McGowan

3 min read
August 15, 2021 - 8:46PM
News Corp Australia Sports Newsroom

6 comments

Western Bulldogs players and coaches have been told they must prepare for their season-defining battle against Port Adelaide in strict quarantine conditions.
It can be revealed that as of Tuesday night they will be ordered into isolation either at home or, if their entire household cannot bunker down with them, in a Melbourne hotel that will be funded by the AFL.
Watch The 2021 Toyota AFL Premiership Season Live & On-Demand on Kayo. New to Kayo? Try 14-Days Free Now >
The Dogs face strict quarantine measures ahead of their clash with Port. Picture: AFL Photos/Getty Images

The Dogs face strict quarantine measures ahead of their clash with Port. Picture: AFL Photos/Getty Images
They will only be allowed outside to train at Whitten Oval as part of the protocols which will ensure state governments and South Australian health officials sign off on the round 23 clash going ahead at Marvel Stadium.
Metropolitan Melbourne’s ongoing lockdown means the regulations enforced on the Bulldogs won’t be too much more extreme than those already governing Victorians.
But the Dogs have already had Josh Dunkley and Ryan Gardner ruled ineligible to play due to government regulations in recent games, with the desperately unlucky Dunkley forced into quarantine after visiting a Tier 2 exposure site in Kew.
The Dogs must knock off Port on Friday night to secure the double chance, having occupied a place in the top two since round 3.
They were ladder leaders after round 20, but consecutive losses to Essendon and Hawthorn, compounded by the crushing loss of Josh Bruce to an ACL in the dying seconds last week, have stalled their momentum on the eve of September.

Jamarra Ugle-Hagan was rested against the Hawks while reprogrammed key defenders Josh Schache and Gardner are also in line to return against the Power.

But the major selection question centres around whether the Bulldogs alter their structure by selecting a second ruckman.

Rolling the dice on Jordon Sweet would allow Tim English to play predominantly forward, helping fill the hole left by Bruce.

But injury-prone big man Stefan Martin is no certainty to make it back from a groin injury for the first week of the finals, particularly if the AFL cancels next week’s bye.

The Dogs’ spine looked its strongest when Martin was fit and firing at the start of the season.

But the 34-year-old recruit has played just one game since April, when he was substituted off at halftime with a shoulder injury.

He was proud of being a Yarraville boy, in spite of the western suburbs including Footscray and surrounds, being very much looked down on at the time. (Now gentrified and sought after, who'da thunk it?)

I could be wrong but I seem to remember him saying he grew up in Summerhill Rd, West Footscray.

Here it is flipper83:
AFL Covid news: Western Bulldogs forced into quarantine ahead of clash with Port Adelaide
Western Bulldogs players will be forced into quarantine ahead of their Port blockbuster — and some could may have to leave their families under the strict measures.
Sam Landsberger and Marc McGowan

3 min read
August 15, 2021 - 8:46PM
News Corp Australia Sports Newsroom
6 comments

Western Bulldogs players and coaches have been told they must prepare for their season-defining battle against Port Adelaide in strict quarantine conditions.
It can be revealed that as of Tuesday night they will be ordered into isolation either at home or, if their entire household cannot bunker down with them, in a Melbourne hotel that will be funded by the AFL.
Watch The 2021 Toyota AFL Premiership Season Live & On-Demand on Kayo. New to Kayo? Try 14-Days Free Now >

They will only be allowed outside to train at Whitten Oval as part of the protocols which will ensure state governments and South Australian health officials sign off on the round 23 clash going ahead at Marvel Stadium.
Metropolitan Melbourne’s ongoing lockdown means the regulations enforced on the Bulldogs won’t be too much more extreme than those already governing Victorians.
But the Dogs have already had Josh Dunkley and Ryan Gardner ruled ineligible to play due to government regulations in recent games, with the desperately unlucky Dunkley forced into quarantine after visiting a Tier 2 exposure site in Kew.
The Dogs must knock off Port on Friday night to secure the double chance, having occupied a place in the top two since round 3.
They were ladder leaders after round 20, but consecutive losses to Essendon and Hawthorn, compounded by the crushing loss of Josh Bruce to an ACL in the dying seconds last week, have stalled their momentum on the eve of September.

Jamarra Ugle-Hagan was rested against the Hawks while reprogrammed key defenders Josh Schache and Gardner are also in line to return against the Power.

But the major selection question centres around whether the Bulldogs alter their structure by selecting a second ruckman.

Rolling the dice on Jordon Sweet would allow Tim English to play predominantly forward, helping fill the hole left by Bruce.

But injury-prone big man Stefan Martin is no certainty to make it back from a groin injury for the first week of the finals, particularly if the AFL cancels next week’s bye.

The Dogs’ spine looked its strongest when Martin was fit and firing at the start of the season.

But the 34-year-old recruit has played just one game since April, when he was substituted off at halftime with a shoulder injury.
What? Martin got through training on Saturday with no issues.

I could be wrong but I seem to remember him saying he grew up in Summerhill Rd, West Footscray.
Maybe. Sorry, was trying to remember the interview with Ford, now I'm not sure how Yarraville got into it but was mentioned a couple of times. In any case, it was an unfashionable address, even looked down on.

If we beat Port, Port likely stay in Vic anyway as minimising travel between consecutive weeks was the whole point of the removal of the pre-finals bye. Not only are we catering to Port and SA government, we're also doing it for an significantly unlikely event (Port winning and also winning by a couple of goals more than Geelong if Geelong also win, to get a home final). It's nuts. Cop it, Port, because there's only a small chance it matters.

That " maybe they are just over everything " has crossed my mind.

Based on Bevo’s tone, comments and expressions I feel he’s been over the lockdowns for a long time. Hope it hasn’t impacted the club - we were definitely flat last two weeks. But back luck really - Swans and GWS have been away from home for nearly 2 months and thriving so we need to suck it up and get on with winning this week and reignite the flame.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back